Vitamin A supplement?

P+P's Meom

What if I don't want to stay calm?
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does anyone use a vitamin A supplement in their home-made food? There's so many brands, forms, strengths out there that I'm dizzy.

My current recipe is a bit low on it and Pitter, Patter and I all HATE liver . . . 🤢
and they think eggs are disgusting as well. 🙄
:thanks:

{I've been cooking for them for about 4 years now, no commercial food. Their main food is chicken with Alnutrin (and extra taurine.) They get other meat once in a while, but chicken is the one thing they don't get bored with.}

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do be very careful there............
(Vitamin A) is fat soluble, and is stored in the body rather than excreted. For this reason, there is a risk of toxicity when supplementing it....In any event, a vitamin A deficiency is extremely rare, so it is highly unlikely that your cat requires supplementation of any kind. For this reason care should be taken when considering the use of multi-vitamin tablets, which may contain vitamin A.​
"Tanya's' site is a really worthwhile resource to keep in mind - yes, its focus is kidney disease, but the basic info there is simply feline, but, where it is strictly kidney-related, she'll plainly state that.

Hope that helps !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

P+P's Meom

Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks white shadow white shadow !

Oh yes, I know to tread carefully as far as vitamin A is concerned! Thank you for the link, Pitter actually does have mild kidney issues, so it'll be extra helpful.

Pitter was diagnosed with pancreatitis, as well as thickening of part of his small intestine's wall a year ago. He's doing much better, but abdominal inflammation has been an off again/on again issue.

Right now, the vitamin A content of their food is only 15% of the AAFCO guidelines. :ohwell:
Since vitamin A is anti-inflammatory and can help the immune system, I definitely think I need to very carefully supplement their diet.

Specifically asking for recommendations about what form/brands are best.

Sorry, I tend to err on the "not enough" side of info in my first posts. :ohwell:

maeganj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know you said they hate liver but would cod liver oil be an option? Might have to use an eye dropper or small syringe to be on the conservative side. Rosita's brand or Nordic Natural brand, most cod liver oil have added synthetic vitamin A/D to make the RDAs look nice and even. I actually like the Rosita flavor it's clean and not super fishy.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that Vitamin E might be more useful to Pitter's issues. And Vitamin B's too.

My sweet Lola had kidney disease and other ailments, and I found that Vitamins E and B did her good. I supplemented Vitamin E for a few months, but gave her Vitamin B (the whole complex) for years, and I'm pretty sure it helped her keep her kidney disease at bay.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

P+P's Meom

Adult Cat
Purraise
maeganj maeganj For whatever reason, Pitter's digestive system can no longer tolerate fish oil - or calamari oil which is what he + Patter used to be on without any problems. Tried to re-add it a couple weeks ago and ONE DROP cramped Pitter up sooo bad, he cried all night and was still miserable the rest of the next day. I felt SO guilty. It didn't bother Patter as much, but she was def in some distress. She's just not as vocal about things as her brother is. It really sucks cuz among other things, it's got the Omega3 they need - (that's s'posed to be extra helpful for Patter's epilepsy . . .) :disappointed: :ohwell:

Antonio65 Antonio65 Vit. B is on my list of things to learn more about. Great to hear it seemes to have helped Lola's kidney issues! Pitter's got some as well. Not bad - yet - keeping a close eye on it. Will also add Vit. E to my "check this out!" list. ;)

The thing with wanting/needing to supplement Vit. A is that their diet is severely lacking in it. Right now, it's only 15% of the AAFCO guidelines . . . So I need to get that adjusted first.