Vital® Grain Free Chicken & Beef

buckeyealum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just tried a roll of this today and both of my extremely finicky senior cats LOVE it. I have literally tried every wet food available in my local pet stores. Skippy (12yrs) will only eat FF Salmon and Shrimp Classic. He refuses to eat any of the freeze dried, such as Stella & Chewy's and Primal Nuggets; raw such as Instinct Raw Chicken or Rabbit; etc. O'Malley (15yrs) will eat all of the aforementioned freeze dried and raw, but not consistently. Instinct Raw Chicken is his favorite and he's been pretty consistent about eating that.

I'd appreciate any reviews of the Vital® Grain Free Chicken & Beef. I really want to get Skippy off of the FF. He also currently eats Orijen Regional Red dry but I'd like to get him to a totally wet diet. He would eat a total diet of the Orijen Regional Red if I let him.
Freshpet Vital_Roll_Cat.png

Last edited:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think it looks like a pretty good food- I like how there's a short ingredients list (not filled with stuff you look at and think, "what's that?!"), and it's grain-free and free of starchy vegetables. It also has meat listed as the first ingredient and doesn't contain by-products, so it's high-quality protein. The only downside I can see to this food is that it contains carrageenan, which can have inflammatory and carcinogenic effects. I'll attach a link to the ingredients list, to make it easier for other posters, who might be able to give you more info: Freshpet - Vital® Grain Free Chicken & Beef Cat Food Recipe

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buckeyealum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think it looks like a pretty good food- I like how there's a short ingredients list (not filled with stuff you look at and think, "what's that?!"), and it's grain-free and free of starchy vegetables. It also has meat listed as the first ingredient and doesn't contain by-products, so it's high-quality protein. The only downside I can see to this food is that it contains carrageenan, which can have inflammatory and carcinogenic effects. I'll attach a link to the ingredients list, to make it easier for other posters, who might be able to give you more info: Freshpet - Vital® Grain Free Chicken & Beef Cat Food Recipe
Thank you abyeb. Yes, I noticed the carrageenan but I'll tell you, it is so very difficult to find any cat food that doesn't contain carrageenan. FF does not contain carrageenan and also many of the other lower cost foods. It seems that its use is more prevalent in the higher cost, so called healthy alternatives. I'm also concerned with getting Skippy to accept a non-fish option. I have tried hundreds of different wet, freeze dried and raw options and he simply turns his nose up. As I stated, he would love to be an all-dry-food cat but I know that is not a healthy option either.

Thank you again for your reply.