Vital Cat freeze dried raw

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My understanding of products like this is, everything is ground up fine & then shaped into nuggets, patties, etc.

The last couple of times I fed this, there were actual chunks of bone that I picked out. Once in the rabbit & a few times in the chicken. Logically thinking, if bone is dried & then added to the product, you take the product & add water, I don't see how bone will rehydrate & suck up water. I can only imagine those chunks would be like glass going through the guts.

Thoughts?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bone is digestible to cats. Raw bone is smooth and pliable. Cooked bone can splinter.

The concern about rehydrating freeze-dried raw with bone in it isn't to soften or lubricate the bone. The bone will get digested in the cat's stomach. But the calcium in the bone can be constipating. Rehydrating helps with that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to post an update, I wrote the company & this is their response:

Hello,

Thank you for your recent purchase of Vital Essentials and we appreciate your feedback regarding the bones found in the food. I am happy to say that our production and quality assurance team has been hard at work to achieve a smaller bone grind in our entrees. The teams have been successful with this endeavor, so new products being made will have minimal to non-existent visible bone pieces. This was done largely in response to the feedback received from pet parents such as yourself and the uneasiness of feeding their pets food containing larger pieces of bone.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Best regards,

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Another thing I wonder about is, these bags aren't complete & balanced. It's literally dried meat. I wonder if anyone adds supplements. My cats won't eat anything with EZ Complete or Alnutrin in it. I do feed canned every night so I'm hoping they get what they need from that.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another thing I wonder about is, these bags aren't complete & balanced. It's literally dried meat. I wonder if anyone adds supplements. My cats won't eat anything with EZ Complete or Alnutrin in it. I do feed canned every night so I'm hoping they get what they need from that.
The dinner patties and mini nibs should be complete and balanced (unless they themselves are saying otherwise? 🤷🏼‍♂️)

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

The bag DOES say complete & balanced on the front, it also states "Formulated to meet AAFCO standards".

I guess it's good to go just the way it is.