Vital cat freeze dried raw and Smalls

rsh916

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there everyone
I posted early this year and decided to go with Vital cat freeze dried raw and then I switched to Smalls. I go back and forth between the two. Smalls messed up my order and sent the wrong food and had to go back to the freeze dried until they send the correct food this week.
Does anyone see an issue with switching between the two or should I slowly introduce them if I decide to feed one of them for a long period of time?
Also I have noticed that with Vital Cat duck it is 1 1/2 blocks per my 2 10# kitties and 2 1/4 for my 14# kitty. I questioned was that enough because they love the freeze dried raw but after they eat they are back out and want to eat again!
Smalls on the other hand is so much food that you weigh and my 14# gets 6.6 oz a day which is a chore to get him to eat. Wow there is a difference. Vital cat told me smaller portions because it is raw but I believe Smalls is raw lightly cooked. Confused !
Anyone have similar issues or feed the same?

Thanks everyone in advance
Rebecca

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does anyone see an issue with switching between the two or should I slowly introduce them if I decide to feed one of them for a long period of time?
I usually haven't had too much trouble switching back and forth, and using a rotating menu once my angel kitty was introduced to a food. That said, every cat is different but you should be ok:)

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’ve never had a problem rotating my cats’ food, and in fact, I’ve always thought it was a good idea so if I can’t find a particular food, I have other choices they’re willing to eat.

I rotate among Northwest Naturals freeze-dried raw (rehydrated, of course), and canned Rawz and Mouser so I can’t speak to the two you’re feeding. But it’s better to go by calories than quantity. The general suggestion is 20-25 calories per pound, although even 20 is too much for my two 9-pounders so it’s very cat dependent.

My guess is that cat food companies and vets try to simplify it to ounces to make it easier on people, but think of it this way: Your doctor tells you to eat only 16 oz. of food a day. You look at the 16 ounces of broccoli and the 16 ounces of cake sitting side by side. The doc said 16 ounces so cake it is! :)