Visiting Cats

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
For the last few weeks I have had a trio of cats show up every evening, usually between 4:00 pm and 5:00 pm and gone for the day at dawn. I suspect they are pets let out for the night since each is on the quite well fed side, but I am feeding them none the less and giving them a warm place to sleep on my semi enclosed porch. I am trying to understand their behavior and thought you all might help. Two are black and white, one with short hair and the other with long, I am guessing they are males and a smaller tabby that I am guessing might be a female. I can only watch them on video as they tear off if they see me in a window.

The two males are not friends but not enemies either. They each want to be near the female and I even caught one of them sleeping with her. All three will sleep on the porch at the same time, with the males almost seeming like they are keeping watch over the female but never getting close to one another . If she leaves, they follow. They also defer to her at the food bowl, waiting for her to finish before they eat. I have not seen any mating behavior.

So, what do you all think. Household pets with an established pecking order, two males courting a female or ?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like two males courting the female to me. Females usually don't want males bothering them and hiss and swat at them. Why they are going to your house is a mystery!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like two males courting the female to me. Females usually don't want males bothering them and hiss and swat at them. Why they are going to your house is a mystery!
Last night it was In the low teens. She was in a shelter and one of the males was sleeping on the cold concrete facing her doorway, so close that he slept with his head inside her shelter almost touching her forehead and his body outside. I moved another shelter so that it faces the one she prefers so maybe if he can see her he will use it.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have certainly seen odd cat friendships and this may be one of them. Not that this is under your control, but do you "sense" that the female is fixed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have certainly seen odd cat friendships and this may be one of them. Not that this is under your control, but do you "sense" that the female is fixed?
I am not seeing any “in heat” behavior from her but that is about it. If she was with them for mating only , I would think she would be done with them by now or the two males would be fighting one another, but it has been many many years since I dealt with in intact males or females. There is lots of chirp communicating between them which strikes me as more of a friendship.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree with your assessment. Any time mating has been going on near my property, it has been quite obvious as you know. I currently have a TNRed female who is fast friends with an intact male who comes with her for food. With COVID he is waiting for a chance to be fixed, but their friendship is very deep and touching. I know for sure she is fixed as I am the one who trapped her.