Virus concern from cat who had fip?

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitten Mojo passed away 2 weeks ago from FIP. One of my parent’s friends is traveling for a month and needs someone to take care of their cat. My parents want to, and we already washed and sun-dried all of Mojo’s things. We want to know if it is possible for the cat to get infected if we first keep her in a room where Mojo had never been (to let her get used to our house and make sure the virus can’t affect her).
My parents and sister want to take care of the cat, but I think she will be stressed from the new place and her immune system might be worse so she could get FIP from Mojo if the virus is still living in our house. Is it ok to take care of the cat at our house or not? (She is a 3 year old indoor cat, not spayed but the owners might give her to us if she likes us and then we would spay her).

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! According to what I'm reading on Mar Vista Vet . Com, the disease isn't contagious, and it's possible the new cat could already be carrying the virus anyway. You might take a look, they give an in-depth review of fip.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh. A lot of websites I read said that the virus can be spread by the feces so if there was a tiny piece of litter or something another cat could get infected.
The owners have had the cat 3 years and she has had no health problems. Also she had 4 kittens at one point but the owners gave them to other people.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
FIP is not contagious. Feline Coronavirus is contagious, and the majority of cats have been exposed to it. However, FIP is caused by a mutated form of coronavirus that only some cats seem to be susceptible to, and a cat cannot catch FIP from another cat.

The only thing your friend’s cat could catch would be FCOV, which the cat probably already carries anyway.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think if I were in your shoes, I would ask the vet :)
She looks like such a doll!! Just look at those stripes!!

gordonsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
6 years ago today, we said goodbye to Gordon - 18 months old with FIP. We had our other two cats tested right after (we also got all new litter boxes, cat trees, etc. ) Both cats tested positive for the corona virus and both are still alive today - one is 8 and one is 16. Neither ever developed FIP. Corona virus is very common, especially in shelter cats. I have had other cats in the interim and also have cared for many other cats. I think you have taken all precautions and will be fine.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MojoTuxedo MojoTuxedo Both your tuxedo and Stripesider are gorgeous!!!
Over the years, we lost one beloved cat to dry-form FIP at close to 16 years old, and an angel kitten to wet-form FIP probably contracted from the vax, at less than 3 months after she had been absolutely healthy. Both lived in our multi-cat household. None of our other feline family members has ever developed the virus. But it is a good idea to run it by your vet just for your own peace of mind.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My dad already called the vets and they said it’s fine.
This cat is not ours yet, and we are taking care of her for a month and then deciding if we want to keep her (I think we will definitely keep her :) unless she’s really mean)

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think we will almost 100% keep her cause she hasn’t even been spayed yet, and if she’s nice in the 1 month we have her before we can spay her, imagine how nice she would be after she is spayed. Lol
And even if she is mean I would still want to keep her because I would want to adopt all the cats in the world if I could take care of all of them :)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think we will almost 100% keep her cause she hasn’t even been spayed yet, and if she’s nice in the 1 month we have her before we can spay her, imagine how nice she would be after she is spayed. Lol
And even if she is mean I would still want to keep her because I would want to adopt all the cats in the world if I could take care of all of them :)
*...and you say you're short on expressiveness. :noway:*
That's exactly how I feel, too. I didn't want to say, but I was hoping the "meanness" factor wouldn't even be a consideration. It wouldn't with me. Actually, if she is "mean" she'd need a loving, understanding home all the more.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well most of the times I don’t know what words to use like writing an essay or something but sometimes I can express better lol
I know the “meanness“ would be a factor for my parents and sister but not for me.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well most of the times I don’t know what words to use like writing an essay or something but sometimes I can express better lol
I know the “meanness“ would be a factor for my parents and sister but not for me.
A lot of times "meanness" comes from fear and uncertainty. It disappears when there is love and trust.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think the cat can trust us in 1 month. Because the previous owners said she’s not scared of people.