Virus concern from cat who had fip?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the cat can trust us in 1 month. Because the previous owners said she’s not scared of people.
Believe it or not, though, it can often take longer. She has been uprooted from all she knows. She is among strangers. Put yourself in her place. That's what I do. Then it becomes more understandable what she may be feeling/experiencing. Experts say cats are attached to places.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Change of plans: we just picked her up because the owner is busy tomorrow. She is really nice. Of course she’s shy at first but she isn’t running away from me. She let me pet her and even started purring :)
Right now we are keeping her in a bathroom with her old litter box. The owner gave us her litter and food.
The owner seemed kind of rough with the cat. She kept picking her up by the scruff and grabbing her quickly. I don’t think she knows much about cat care because she never brushed the cat and the last time she went to the vet was 2 years ago. Her daughters took care of the cat, but now they are at college so all that she does is feed and clean the litter :(
And she didn’t even give us a name!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Change of plans: we just picked her up because the owner is busy tomorrow. She is really nice. Of course she’s shy at first but she isn’t running away from me. She let me pet her and even started purring :)
Right now we are keeping her in a bathroom with her old litter box. The owner gave us her litter and food.
The owner seemed kind of rough with the cat. She kept picking her up by the scruff and grabbing her quickly. I don’t think she knows much about cat care because she never brushed the cat and the last time she went to the vet was 2 years ago. Her daughters took care of the cat, but now they are at college so all that she does is feed and clean the litter :(
And she didn’t even give us a name!
VERY glad she's with you now! Having her old box and litter and food is very good, to help her feel reassured by her own scent and familiar food and litter. I know she will get to feel much more comfortable with you than she did with that woman. Maybe you can ask her about her name in a day or two. If not, she deserves a beautiful name!

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. She already used the litter box, which is a hooded one with a side compartment to catch any litter she digs into it so it can be reused. She kept trying to dig the plastic part and when she started to dig she had to first get out of the box then go back in the other way to bury her poop. I am thinking the inside part is not big enough? Her head also stuck out when she was using it. My dad doesn’t want to give her another litter box until she comes out of the bathroom.
She lets me hold her already and she doesn’t run away :)
She tried to open the door lol it had a tiny crack and she almost got out

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. She already used the litter box, which is a hooded one with a side compartment to catch any litter she digs into it so it can be reused. She kept trying to dig the plastic part and when she started to dig she had to first get out of the box then go back in the other way to bury her poop. I am thinking the inside part is not big enough? Her head also stuck out when she was using it. My dad doesn’t want to give her another litter box until she comes out of the bathroom.
She lets me hold her already and she doesn’t run away :)
She tried to open the door lol it had a tiny crack and she almost got out
Definitely sounds like she could use a bigger box! Petco has some nice ones that are affordable and attractive.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have 2 litter boxes that are bigger than the inside of the hooded one that we already cleaned and everything. I want to give her one as another option and see if she likes it more, but my dad won’t let me :(

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She keeps sitting in her litter box. It’s probably because that’s the most familiar thing to her, but is it sanitary?

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I didn’t scoop it yet because it hasn’t even been 1 whole day yet. She literally won’t sit down on anything else. I’ve given her a few beds and even some cardboard boxes but she won’t sit or lay down. And my dad is making us keep her in the bathroom for now.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn’t scoop it yet because it hasn’t even been 1 whole day yet. She literally won’t sit down on anything else. I’ve given her a few beds and even some cardboard boxes but she won’t sit or lay down. And my dad is making us keep her in the bathroom for now.
She may feel most comfortable in there because she can detect her own scent in it. When she has a larger environment and settles in, she will probably find other places more comfortable. I wouldn't worry about it now. A lot of cats in shelters do this because it helps them to feel secure when they are in an unfamiliar environment.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fip is a rare mutation of corona virus and fortunately can’t be transmitted as far as we know. Many cats have been exposed to corona, they fight it off and never get the mutation. About 70% of cats exposed to felv also clear that deadly virus. I would still clean everything anyway like you did just to be safe in case there is something else which could be transmitted.

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it ok to feed her kitten food? I noticed she doesn’t really eat the food that the owners gave us, so I tried giving her some canned food. She really liked it and I gave it to her spoonful by spoonful to make sure I didn’t waste any. We have some leftover canned food (unopened, of course) but it is kitten food and my dad doesn’t want to buy new food. Of course we won’t feed her kitten food when we run out. Also, I read somewhere unfixed cats need more calories then fixed cats, and kitten food has more calories. (We can’t spay her until we actually take ownership of her).

MojoTuxedo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I brushed her today and the fur pile was the size of a baseball!
I don’t think her owners ever brushed her :(
And her nails are so long they can get caught on stuff even when they aren’t out. I’m nervous about cutting her nails though and I want to wait until she trusts me more.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I brushed her today and the fur pile was the size of a baseball!
I don’t think her owners ever brushed her :(
And her nails are so long they can get caught on stuff even when they aren’t out. I’m nervous about cutting her nails though and I want to wait until she trusts me more.
If she has had a poor diet, her fur may be like this. Once she's being well fed and truly cared for, her fur should improve. Regular brushings are good both for her health and your bonding with her. I brush my cats daily or more often if they ask for it (they love being brushed and definitely feel it is a bonding session). Claw clipping can be trickier, but you have a good idea in wanting to wait a little until she knows you care for and about her.