Violet weighs 13 pounds and should weigh 8, she eats everything

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Violet is so fat, and she is a small framed girl. Recently, we had to go to the ER and I spent 1600 dollars because she was so constipated she needed numerous overnight enemas to get her unblocked.

She is constantly crying for food, and I feed her separate from the other cats so she stays out of their bowls. She not only eats food, but she eats the fringes of my rugs, dental floss, and the latest, the elastic ear straps off my blue covid mask. Fortunately, we have not had any problems from eating these things, but I know there is a risk of her getting it wrapped around her intestines, and one time I did have to pull a piece of dental floss that was hanging out of her behind, very slowly out.

I feed her and the others a small scoop of dry mixed with a half small can of wet twice a day. If I am not careful and leave the others dishes on the floor, she will scarf them up. I have to pick up all leftovers until later at night when they finish them.

I just read an article to stop all dry food altogether.

I just don't know what to feed her, everyone else with the same diet, is normal weight. Maybe a little over, thick, not thin cats. She is so fat, she cannot clean her bottom, or jump up on high spots. Any suggestions out there/ She needs to lose at least 4 pounds. thanks.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, try all canned food. Dry food is very calorie dense so it's a lot easier for cats to eat way too much of it. The moisture in canned food can help them to feel full faster.

And of course control her calorie intake. If she's supposed to be 8 pounds she'll need about 160 calories a day, on average. If you feed Fancy Feast paté flavors that's about 2 cans. Most cat foods have the calories on the can so you can figure out how much to give her. If that's too much and she doesn't lose weight you can cut it back gradually until you find the right amount for her weight loss.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have an overweight girl myself right now but she basically wants her own food....no interest in just chewing anything that she can get and never cries for food but waits for me to feed her. I would mention the obsessive need for food so that possibly the vet can do some testing or give some advice.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she is eating unusual things, that may be Pica. You should definitely address that with your Vet. It could be a behavioral issue, OR it could be a medical issue. As far is the dieting, you have been given some good advice above. You might also try to get her to exercise more though. I don't know how active she is, but am guessing not very. Since she seems to be food driven, you can even simply walk around with her food dish and have her follow you. Do this for several minutes at every meal and that will be good exercise. If you have stairs, even better. You'll both get a workout. Some people do this for 20 minutes or so!! (just walking all around the house holding the cat dish full of food with their cat(s) following them around :lol:)

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you had her checked for diabetes? Cats with diabetes are always hungry, and overweight cats are very prone on getting it. I would get her blood tested to check if she hasnt had it done recently.