Violent behavior and uncontrolled bathroom

wilford

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I need some advice of what is going on with my cat. Last month around this time, I was walking around with her on my shoulders, as we normally like to do, and I decided to bring her outside for a little while. she is a house cat, and seemed to enjoy going ouside every so often to look around etc. she then became desprate to jump off my sholders and escape, but I held onto her at least long enough to get her inside. suddenly, she got so violent that she bit my ear multiple times and scratched my arm up really bad and when I dropped her on the floor inside, she knocked over a bunch of stuff trying to get away!

Not only that, but after I stopped the bleeding, I found her in my room, hiding, and she peed and pooped all over the floor, and would hiss the second I came near her. She was almost screaming angry the whole time!

Now, this was roughly a month ago, and she seemed to be fine since. Occasionally, she would hiss at me when I came out of my room (probably because she remembered that night), but has always been a happy lapcat.

Anyways, last night, she kept getting more and more angry over the course of the day. I was about to feed her her daily wetfood, which she loves more than anything, and she seemed to calm down, but halfway into eating she got hissy. annoyed, I flicked some water at her to try and make her stop. suddenly, she arched up and started peeing on the wall and hissing, then went over to the other side of the counter and once again arched up and began to poo! I could not get near her without her hissing and screaming at me!

Finally I threw a towel over her and brought her down to the basement bathroom and shut her in so she could calm down. After I cleaned up, I noticed that she managed to get out of the bathroom and come back upstiars. She was still hissing, but she seemed more calm.

I went to bed, and the next morning, from the sound of my alarm clock, she came in mewing at me and even jumped up into my bed and let me pet her.

I have no idea what is going on with her, and my dad is threatning to get rid of her if she keeps peeing/pooping uncontrollably like that! Plus, I can't afford to go to the vet and get some expensive medicine! Please give me an idea what is going on!

My best guess is that when I brought her outside that one day, she saw the hawk that lives across the road and she freaked out because of it... however, that would not explain why she freaked out last night.

Not only that, but when she was sitting in her poo, she seemsed to keep looking around randomly, as if she were having a seizure (my dog has them, so I know the syptoms are alike.)

Can anyone please give me some idea what to do!?

PS Sorry for length of post.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome to the site ! these are my thoughts on the matter and I am sure Kerry will add more .............I've also put this reply in the thread you posted in the Behaviour Forum

Oh I am sorry that you find yourself in this situation
It is a worry when our cats behaviour chances suddenly and for no apparent reason

You took her outside for the 1st time ever. She freaked and bit your ear as she tried to get down from your shoulders - well this is not surprising as she is an indoor cat the big noisy outside world would have frightened her and she was trying desperately to get back to the safety of the house. Your action of grabbing her probably scared her even more and this resulted in her panicking and then biting you. I dont think you should take her out again unless you start to train her on a harness. This will keep her safe and reduce any risk of you get caught when she might get scared or panic.

Flicking water at a cat whilst it is eating is not the best way to try to train a cat to do anything
or calm it down. You should leave a cat alone in peace and quiet to enjoy its food. I think you aggravated the situation by water flicking. This then turned nasty and you ended up putting a towel over her - all very sad and very, very stressful for your cat. I think you have scared her.

Cat are used to routine and any changes can easily upset them and stress them out which can cause some of the things you describe.

There is also the chance that she is not well, cats are also very good at hiding illnesses, so you may need to have her checked over.

So I hope that gives you some idea of what might be happening. Let us know how things go.

catpsych

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My best guess is that your kitty is catching a sniff of a wild animal, probably another cat which is nearby outside your home. Cats are extremely territorial, the fact she sprayed/peed on your wall suggests a territorial issue. Cats have a much keener sense of smell than us, and if they smell another cat, they easily become thrreatened and react by marking their territory by peeing and pooping. Urine and feces carry a much stronger scent then just body rubbing will, so it helps to get the cat's point across to the intruding cat. Based on what I read from your post, I think this may be the problem, she smells a threatening animal near by, becomes highly aroused and irritable, experiences some redirected aggression (her lashing out at you - it's like when your watching a scary movie and someone sneeks up behind you and scares you, you freak out on them, not the movie.....same idea....she freaks out on you and not the other animal.), and tries to stake her claim to her territory by marking it with urine and feces. I would suggest keeping all windows closed and blinds too as a precaution, do not take her on anymore trips outdoors with you for a while, and purchase a Feliway sprayer...this will help her to calm down and make her feel as if she has already marked everything in the house, so she won't feel so compelled to do it with her urine and feces. And lastly if she is not already spayed, I would have her spayed right away, that will also help. And one more last thing, a great book that will help out your situation is Outwitting Cats by Wendy Christensen, this is an excellent book that will help you pin point behavioral problems in your kitty and exactly what you can do to fix it, it's a life saver! You can order it online and you might also have it in your local bookstore too. Good luck and I wish you the best!
Kerry

Originally Posted by Wilford

Hello, I need some advice of what is going on with my cat. Last month around this time, I was walking around with her on my shoulders, as we normally like to do, and I decided to bring her outside for a little while. she is a house cat, and seemed to enjoy going ouside every so often to look around etc. she then became desprate to jump off my sholders and escape, but I held onto her at least long enough to get her inside. suddenly, she got so violent that she bit my ear multiple times and scratched my arm up really bad and when I dropped her on the floor inside, she knocked over a bunch of stuff trying to get away!

Not only that, but after I stopped the bleeding, I found her in my room, hiding, and she peed and pooped all over the floor, and would hiss the second I came near her. She was almost screaming angry the whole time!

Now, this was roughly a month ago, and she seemed to be fine since. Occasionally, she would hiss at me when I came out of my room (probably because she remembered that night), but has always been a happy lapcat.

Anyways, last night, she kept getting more and more angry over the course of the day. I was about to feed her her daily wetfood, which she loves more than anything, and she seemed to calm down, but halfway into eating she got hissy. annoyed, I flicked some water at her to try and make her stop. suddenly, she arched up and started peeing on the wall and hissing, then went over to the other side of the counter and once again arched up and began to poo! I could not get near her without her hissing and screaming at me!

Finally I threw a towel over her and brought her down to the basement bathroom and shut her in so she could calm down. After I cleaned up, I noticed that she managed to get out of the bathroom and come back upstiars. She was still hissing, but she seemed more calm.

I went to bed, and the next morning, from the sound of my alarm clock, she came in mewing at me and even jumped up into my bed and let me pet her.

I have no idea what is going on with her, and my dad is threatning to get rid of her if she keeps peeing/pooping uncontrollably like that! Plus, I can't afford to go to the vet and get some expensive medicine! Please give me an idea what is going on!

My best guess is that when I brought her outside that one day, she saw the hawk that lives across the road and she freaked out because of it... however, that would not explain why she freaked out last night.

Not only that, but when she was sitting in her poo, she seemsed to keep looking around randomly, as if she were having a seizure (my dog has them, so I know the syptoms are alike.)

Can anyone please give me some idea what to do!?

PS Sorry for length of post.