Vintage Kitty

Coastalgal76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 17 year old sweetie named Zoe. She has become blind in the past year and lost a huge amount of weight. She is EXTREMELY afraid of the vet so no more visits for her. At night she carries a toy from time to time and wails !! The very confusing activity she is doing now is going around in circles all day. I love her dearly and keep spoiling her . Otherwise she seems content , still eating and drinking and enjoying treats , lying in the sun. The circles is disconcerting because I wonder why.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I wanted to welcome you to TCS! :welcomesign: Although I do not have a blind cat the behavior problem you mentioned with Zoe reminds me of what happened to our dog when he became a senior guy. He had cataracts which affected his sight and also went around in circles but in his case it was compounded by "dementia." I realize cats are different than dogs but wonder if this isn't a possibility since Zoe is otherwise acting normal. I understand your apprehension about taking her to the vet but with the additional info. about her huge weight loss I would be concerned. Is it possible to call your vet first rather than bringing her in? If you explain her fear of vet visits perhaps the vet will will be more understanding and willing to help you.

You may be interested in reading this thread about another member's blind cat, not sure it will give you an answer to your problem with Zoe but there are also links to some Articles with helpful information:
Tips For Living With A Blind Cat?

Best of luck, please keep us posted on Zoe. 🤗

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I can't offer much else to what neely neely has already said, but wondered if you might consider finding a vet that does in-home visits. The weight loss, especially given that she is still eating normally, is a concern that needs to be addressed. Simple blood work (which can be drawn in your home) might at least provide an answer and resolution for the weight loss. Perhaps, you could ask your vet for a referral to a vet who does in-home visits?

Although her behavior could be explained by dementia, maybe there is something else causing it that goes 'hand in hand' with the weight loss - nutritional (malabsorption) or chemical imbalances come to mind.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Coastalgal76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wanted to welcome you to TCS! :welcomesign: Although I do not have a blind cat the behavior problem you mentioned with Zoe reminds me of what happened to our dog when he became a senior guy. He had cataracts which affected his sight and also went around in circles but in his case it was compounded by "dementia." I realize cats are different than dogs but wonder if this isn't a possibility since Zoe is otherwise acting normal. I understand your apprehension about taking her to the vet but with the additional info. about her huge weight loss I would be concerned. Is it possible to call your vet first rather than bringing her in? If you explain her fear of vet visits perhaps the vet will will be more understanding and willing to help you.

You may be interested in reading this thread about another member's blind cat, not sure it will give you an answer to your problem with Zoe but there are also links to some Articles with helpful information:
Tips For Living With A Blind Cat?

Best of luck, please keep us posted on Zoe. 🤗
I suspected dementia , my biggest concern is pain

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
There is no pain with dementia, but you have to rule out pain from another cause. I agree that she needs to see a vet and have some sort of exam. Wandering randomly can be a way of dealing with pain or trying to "walk" away from it.

I have had two blind animals....a dog and a cat. If the wandering around wailing did not coincide with the blindness I would be suspicious that there is more than just the blindness going on. Neither of my blind animal did anything like that.