Vietnam Traveling Wall - in my town!

sweetiecat3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Out of all of New England, they've chosen my little town here to display the scaled-down replica of the Vietnam Wall (not sure exactly what it's called) It's a BIG event - lots of traffic on the town green. I couldn't find an article online on it that's free....sorry. I'll probably visit later; I don't have any relatives on there, but people are coming from all over, not just Connecticut. It's pretty neat, and people don't have to go so far to see their loved ones' name on there. It's a pretty emotional thing, it's touching and kind of sad too. But it's a big honor for our town
Just had to share. It's pretty exciting!!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We went to see it when it was in Denver last year. It is a very touching and somber experience. Both of our fathers served in Viet Nam, and both of our fathers have friends' names on that wall. One of the things that touched me about the experience was the honor that every person was showing to those who served, who didn't make it home.

I don't know if they will be there, but there is a group of Veterans who collect memorabilia and showcase it and a lot of photos. They aren't an official part of the Travelling Wall, but try to be at most of the locations to educate people about what they experienced all funded by donations. It was really interesting to me because my father almost never talks about it.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen the memorial in DC twice and both times had a bad experience. Once, my father was looking for a friends name (he served his time right before 'nam started up, got off the ship, and it went straight to vietnam) and two girls were taking a tourist picture right in front of it, smiling and laughing and flirting with two boys nearby. Talk about distasteful... The second time I was there for a protest (NOT of the memorial, we were just looking around) and someone started yelling at us, calling us all sorts of unreproducable names.

I think its a great idea, as it sounds like your town is much more respectful of it and its meaning. Hopefully it'll come here! I'd love to see it.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First time I saw the Wall it was the traveling one that came to Tampa. I wore a POW bracelet during high school. My guy was an MIA. I have made rubbings of his name from both the traveling and the full-size wall. It's a pretty moving experience.

joanne511

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had that in my hometown when I was in Jr. High and it was a very touching experience. My mom found the name of a boy she knew in high school and started crying. It was one of the saddest things I had ever seen.

If anyone has a chance to see the real thing in DC I highly recommend it.

agent_haun

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I haven't heard about that before, but I have seen the real one in D.C., though I was too young to appriciate it then. Fredrick Don Snyder, my uncle, is on the wall.

sanctie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw it several years back. It is an emotional event, and very informative.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Deb25

First time I saw the Wall it was the traveling one that came to Tampa. I wore a POW bracelet during high school. My guy was an MIA. I have made rubbings of his name from both the traveling and the full-size wall. It's a pretty moving experience.
Oh, how painful! My deepest condolences to you...that must have been simply awful, to have your guy missing in action! I am so sorry!

We had the traveling wall in our town, and it was such a great experience. I took my kids, and we read some of the names...but truly, it is so long...just heartbreaking to think each name has a story similar to Deb's guy! Each of these soldiers were loved by someone, and are missed.

There were veterans around the town square when the wall was up, so I took the opportunity to thank them for their service to our country. I didn't see anyone being disrespectful when I was there.