1. Hello Guest, would you like to share with us your favorite vet experience for a chance to win a $50 gift card? Visit our thread here for your chance to win!

Video Of Cop Shot

Discussion in 'IMO: In My Opinion' started by denice, Aug 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. denice

denice Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH

I just wanted to post this. We have seen so much of cops who are too quick and shoot when they shouldn't. This video shows the other side of things.

1CatOverTheLine purraised this.
  2. Winchester

Winchester TCS Member Veteran

Aug 28, 2009
    In the kitchen
    Cops are shooting innocent people. People are shooting cops who are just trying to do their jobs. I don't know where it's going to end. It's all horrific.

dustydiamond1, 1CatOverTheLine and muffy purraised this.
  3. MeganLLB

MeganLLB TCS Member Alpha Cat

Jun 29, 2017
    Pennsylvania, USA
    IMO in the majority of those cases of cops shooting "innocent" people, I don't really think they are very "innocent" with a few exceptions.

In many of those stories spread all over the news they fail to tell you that the men they shot were either fleeing a crime scene, resisting arrest, acting hostile, and were not just simply minding their own business and got shot by a cop. In many of those stories they were previously arrested, and some had outstanding warrants- far from innocent. But thats not how the media makes them out to be.

Now thats not every case, but I think thats most of them and the media just puts gasoline on the fire by making these men out to be innocent bystanders that are victims of police profiling and racism, and thats far from the truth. But then I also believe the media exists to create disturbance and chaos.

4. Willowy

Willowy TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    Even if someone isn't fully innocent of all wrongdoing (and I suppose you could blame anyone for anything they do to make it seem like their fault), stuff like shoplifting and evading arrest are not considered death penalty offenses. Even if they were, a cop does not get to inflict the death penalty without due process. The ONLY excuse for a cop killing someone is self-defense or defense of another person's life, and "I thought he had a gun" doesn't cut it. They need to be held to a higher standard than civilians.

I notice a lot of inconsistency when it comes to certain groups of people. Those who call themselves "pro-life" seem most supportive of cops killing people for non-death-penalty infractions. Only some lives count I guess :dunno:.

Of course there's no excuse (except for self-defense and defense of others) for shooting a cop either. People just suck sometimes.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    mokapi purraised this.
  5. MeganLLB

Jun 29, 2017
    Pennsylvania, USA
    I don't know where youre getting this idea that pro-life people support cops killing other people. that's certainly not true, and that's a huge generalization. All I'm trying to do is point out how the media reports these events to make it seem like these cops hunted them down and murdered them, when there is more to the story.

When a black male is running away from a robbery, and you don't know whether he is armed or not, and then he suddenly stops and turns around, my first thought wouldn't be "Oh I guess he's giving up and giving in to our arrest." No the first thing that comes to mind it he has a weapon and he's turning to shoot me. I have a half of a second to decide what to do and that half a second may decide whether I live or die in this moment. So in that situation, "I thought he had a gun" yea that does cut it for me, because if he did have a gun and I didn't shoot, I would be the dead one.

The situation with the man sitting in his car with his wife and child in the backseat, and he tries to get his wallet out, No then "I thought he had a gun" doesn't cut it. That cop was probably paranoid about getting shot by black people, after all the BLM incidents of cops being shot.

Pro-life people care about the lives of everyone from birth till death, that includes the lives of the innocent who where shot but that also includes the lives of the police.

6. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    I guess we can stop pretending that racism has nothing to do with it ;).

I don't think anyone says that the cops hunted them down and murdered them. But cops do not get to panic. They signed up for the job.

Cops are actually less likely to be killed on the job than most people. It's safer then being a miner or a trucker or a fisherman. Most cops killed in the line of dury die in car accidents, not shootings. I think someone who volunteers for a job that's supposedly to protect people can take a minute to make sure they don't kill someone needlessly. US police shootings: How many die each year? - BBC News

mokapi purraised this.
  7. denice

denice Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    Cops aren't shot that often. The reason for harsher sentences for knowingly shooting a cop doesn't have anything to do with valuing a cops life over a civilian. Someone who would knowingly kill an armed cop is seen as being more dangerous. If they would do that what would they do to a civilian.

I am not sure if requiring that a cop sees a gun is realistic. In this video if the cop saw that gun it was probably a split second before he was shot, probably not long enough for it to register that there was a gun. He was certainly suspicious which is why he wanted to see his hands but he didn't see a gun.

8. MeganLLB

Jun 29, 2017
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Its no secret that more crimes are commited by black males and prisons have more black males than white males. And same for womens prisons. I think we should stop being PC and just admit to the facts.

Why do we have to pretend that no one knows that public housing is all full of black people and nobody wants to drive thru those neighborhoods at night? Why do I never see neighborhoods full of blacks living in cul de sacs and homes where there's no couches on the front porch and the lawn is mowed, and their kids actually have clothes on and are bathed?

If I drive up to the nicest neighborhood right now on Country Club Rd I will see no black people. Why do we all have to pretend that this isnt the reality? The low income, drug infested, crime ridden neighborhoods are majority black. Thats not racist. Thats just how it is. Im sure there are plenty of hood rats who are white, and I'm sure there are plently of black people who are able to be functional members of society, but please, lets cut the crap and cut the PC because everyone knows how it really is but no ones allowed to say it.

9. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    I am very sad for you. I won't say any more than that.

I invite you to any small town in "real America". I'm pretty sure that at least half the houses in the town I work in have couches on the porch, and mowing isn't always a priority. I never realized that meant something other than that they can't afford "proper" porch furniture. And that town is 99.9% white (there are 3 adopted Native kids in town, that's as diverse as it gets around here).

10. MeganLLB

Jun 29, 2017
    Pennsylvania, USA
    No i live in a town of 6,000 people. Ive lived all over the country. Its the same everywhere. You can't argue with statistics. Its just how it is. Its not racism, its reality. Its unfortunate, but its reality.

11. MeganLLB

Jun 29, 2017
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Expanded Homicide Data Table 6

Here's a spreadsheet from just 4 years ago from the FBI on homicide. Look at the drastic difference between the race of the offenders vs the race of the victims. You can see the columns of African American offenders by far outnumber whites. You can't argue with facts, plain, laid out, on a spreadsheet. And then african americans act like they have some chip on their shoulder and they victimize themselves (basically sums up the whole BLM movement)

Just like in Charlottesville today- everything was fine until BLM shows up and starts shouting and throwing things at people and causing a scene. They are an embarrassment to their race.

I feel very sorry for the black people who are truly victims of police who are trigger happy, but half the time if they would just quit the crime and listen to the police, they probably wouldn't be dead. When an officer tells you, stop, you stop, when he says get on the ground you get on the ground. You don't run away, and stick your hands in your pockets, and yell at them and slash their tires and run them over with your car, and all the other crap they do. People bring this on themselves because they live a life of crime and have no respect for police or anyone else.

And theres a whole history to all of this and it goes all the way back to the time of segregation and trying to desegregate society. It was a failed attempt at desegregation and thats why black people don't speak english right, why their names are all unique, and why they all live in the same low income neighborhoods. You can look into the history, but it all goes back to the time of segregation. I've studied the history of this in college and the whole situation is unfortunate. Society never was truly desegregated, blacks never were able to get better education, they never succeeded in becoming businessmen and entrepreneurs because people always preferred to go to give white people their business, so they never got incorporated into society. The whole effort was a mess and a failure, and we still today see the effects.

12. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    It wasn't BLM protesters who counter-protested at the white supremacist Neo-Nazi rally in Charlottesville. I'm not sure what a reasonable response would be to Neo-Nazis marching on your town. I think it might be reasonable to meet them with force. I'm uncertain as to when the US mentality switched over to "hey, these Nazi dudes are all right!" I'd rather not live in a country like that.

But anyway, you recognize the impact of systemic, institutional racism, but still think it's their own fault?

13. MeganLLB

Jun 29, 2017
    Pennsylvania, USA
    From the news report I read there were three groups there including BLM. I think the police should have handled it because they apparently were not legally organized to begin with.

Originally no, segregation was not their fault. And actually there are a number of african american authors, writers, and activists, who did not want to be desegregated. They thought it was a bad idea, and thought that blacks could be more successful forming their own societies and their own separate neighborhoods, and focusing on building up african american business. They thought that they should only shop at black owned stores and only have black schools, and basically create their own culture and make it good for themselves. There were many black segregationalists Muhammad Ali being just one of them. Martin Luther King Jr. at one point called him “a champion of segregation .” So even blacks were divided on whether or not segregation was a good thing of a bad thing. Some blacks wanted to be segregated and some did not.

But the fact of it is, the government and society went on with desegregation whether people wanted it or were ready for it ( black or white). And there were a lot who resisted it (of both races). And I don't think it ever really was a success.

Now what I do think is not the fault of any institution, but is the fault of the individual is perpetuating this. We now live in a time where if there's a will, there's a way. There was a time in Pittsburgh were if you attended a public school, you could go to a public college for free tuition. What is stopping an african american youth from attending college, working hard, getting a good job, and rising above the environment they live in? At some point you have to stop blaming the school system, blaming your parents for how you were raised, blaming the neighborhood you grew up in, and do something about it. It's not your fault that you were born into this mess, but it can only be your fault if you stay there.

14. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    I guess if I weren't white, and my parents were discriminated against to the point that they were not even allowed in the public pool when they were children (black people were not allowed at the pool when/where my parents were kids), I wouldn't feel exactly welcome or safe in a majority-white education/business situation. I don't think a society changes that fast. And I think poverty breeds desperation. So I can see why things are like they are. I have empathy.

There's also systemic racism in the court system even now. I know white guys who have gotten 5 years for something, and black or Native guys who got 50 years for the exact same thing :/. Let's not pretend that doesn't happen.

I know a white family who have adopted a non-white child. They've had him since birth and he has been raised with all the comforts and privilege of a middle-class white family. He's still discriminated against, and they're afraid the discrimination will continue when he enters the workforce, or he'll be targeted by law enforcement when he's a teenager. Do you think you could look them in the eye and tell them that if they raise their kid right, he'll be just fine? I think their fears are fully justified.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    dustydiamond1, jcat, mani and 2 others purraised this.
  15. Alejandra Rico

Alejandra Rico TCS Member Alpha Cat

Mar 27, 2017
    Asturias, Spain
    But it is not that easy. To begin with, not all public schools would equally rate a black student's and a white student's results. Their parents would not have equal nor even similar incomes. When a boy or a girl has to work after school or highschool because their parents need that extra money to pay the bills, clothes and so on, and thus have less time to study and really are not in the best mood for learning because they are worried about their family, we cannot talk about equal opportunities. When you grow in a neighbourhood in which not being a member of a band is a death sentence, we cannot talk about equal opportunities. When the colour of your skin determines 99% of people's first impresion about you, we cannot talk about equal opportunities. And when after overcoming all these obstacles one will not be promoted despite being the most qualified person, just because your skin is not the right color, we cannot talk about equal opportunities.
    This is not Political Correctness. These are facts.
    Desegregation is still on process, as far as I can see, and it will probably take a couple of centuries more to be fullfilled, as so many other necessary changes, as women salaries and so on.

mokapi, jcat and talkingpeanut purraised this.
  16. MeganLLB

Jun 29, 2017
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Well since you brought up the gender wage gap myth, why don't you watch this video that totally debunks that

17. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    If there weren't a gender pay gap, there wouldn't be resistance to making a law requiring that everybody be paid equally :dunno:.

I understand that the thought of social equality is threatening to many.

Although this isn't even tangentially related to cop shootings, lol. Maybe a new thread?

Alejandra Rico purraised this.
  18. MeganLLB

Jun 29, 2017
    Pennsylvania, USA
    I didn't bring it up, But back to the topic.
    Here another video that explains how police are not racist.

19. surya

surya TCS Member Alpha Cat

Aug 23, 2010
    Houston

A lot of times in wrongful deaths by police there is overkill, it's a physical reaction to the adrenaline rush cops get in a dangerous situation. The adrenaline rush is probably what got Justine Damon killed. I guess they need more training to overcome that. I guess in this situation he should have tazed the guy sooner, but hind sight is always 50-50.

20. surya

surya TCS Member Alpha Cat

Aug 23, 2010
    Houston
    My guess is that you don't know any black people Megan. I find your generalizations very racist.

muffy, mokapi, betsygee and 1 other person purraised this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.