Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Erica and Laurie.

Tolly LOVES chicken livers! He went crazy last night when I showed him what I had, but when I put it on top of his cat food he gave me such a Look, it was clear that I had Deeply Disappointed him by trying such a base trick.:lol3:

And it didn't work. He wouldn't eat the cat food even with the livers. But I'll give him a tiny bit each day as a treat anyway. He has to take so many meds now, and he's a lamb about taking the pills, but a tiny piece of chicken liver with each pill will sweeten the chore I bet.

He's had about 1.5 oz of canned food this morning, so that's something. I think he may be having some nausea from the prednisone and I've put a call in to my vet asking about if some pepcid might help him.

I'm also going to stop at the feed store today and pick up a couple cans of various fishy foods to tempt him. Tolly loves fishy cat foods but I won't feed them to my cats. But I will make an exception for him, now.

I've been doing too much reading, and have come across a mention that petroleum is a carcinogen. Petroleum is what is in hair ball remedy. And Tolly has needed this all his life, especially in the past few years. I am still giving it to him, because I cannot risk him getting his hairball sickness on top of everything else, but I am going to have to find an alternative for the other cats now.

Jennie seems to do okay with a little psyllium every few days, but Mazy, while she doesn't get the sicknesses Tolly gets, does have a lot of trouble with hairballs, and has since she was about 2. I'm going to try the psyllium for her, too. It means varying her special c/d diet every few days (to give her the psyllium in a watery meal) but I've got to get them off these petroleum products.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning :)!! I am happy to hear that Tolly is doing well again today :D..... Pred really is a miracle drug and I am glad it is helping Tolly feel more comfortable :nod: He will be a happy boy getting all of these "yummy" choices of food to eat. My cat's love BFF Best Friend's Feline - although it is all different types of tuna - but will feed even the most finicky kitties. Hope Tolly continues to do well :D. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

And, wow, I had no idea about Petroleum :shocked:... How scary to know that we all have been giving this to our cat's for years :eek:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gail, we're taking Flowerbelle in to see the holistic vet next week. She's had an issue with hairballs forever. When we took in Chumley and chatted about our cats in general, she said that hairballs are not natural for cats, it means some type of gastric imbalance. That's why when Lazlo was vomiting (from what we thought was hairballs), we took him to see her. Well - obviously his problem wasn't hairballs at that point, but there are herbal treatments for hairballs that restore the energy balance to the digestive system, which should eliminate the problem, and thus the kitties should then not require "hairball" treatment.

I know that part of what we give Chumley is to "smooth" and "cool" his gastric system (chinese medicine works on the principles of energy meridians, and excess/lack of "heat," "cold," "damp" or "dry." Hairballs indicate an energy "Qi" deficiency of the "spleen" (the stomach) and excess heat. Doesn't Jenny have problems sometimes with licking her abdomen bare? Or is that Mazy? Either way, that is also an indication of the same source problem).

We mix 1/4 teaspoon of slippery elm powder with 1/4 teaspoon of aloe vera juice. It becomes thick, and we mix it into his food, and sprinkle his probiotic on top of it all. Well - with Tolly not eating cat food right now, I know this isn't an option for him, but you can try it with Jennifer and Mazy. It is a pretty commonly discussed hairball treatment (it's given twice a day). We tried it with Flowerbelle, but she won't touch food with the slippery elm in it. :rolleyes: Chumley seems to like it - Flowerbelle hates it.

I don't know if there's any "one" treatment for hairballs, but I can certainly ask if there's something safe to try. :nod:

Also, if you think part of Tolly's problem is nausea, if the pepcid helps, then great. But if not, please also ask about Cerenia. This completely turned around Lazlo's appetite. At 10 - 11 pounds, he gets 1/4 of a 16mg pill daily (in the am with the pred). He also takes the 10mg pepcid a/d at night. :nod:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning :)!! I am happy to hear that Tolly is doing well again today :D..... Pred really is a miracle drug and I am glad it is helping Tolly feel more comfortable :nod: He will be a happy boy getting all of these "yummy" choices of food to eat. My cat's love BFF Best Friend's Feline - although it is all different types of tuna - but will feed even the most finicky kitties. Hope Tolly continues to do well :D. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
And, wow, I had no idea about Petroleum :shocked:... How scary to know that we all have been giving this to our cat's for years :eek:

This is the website where I read it.

http://www.naturalnews.com/Report_pet_food_ingredients_8.html

Thing is, so many things are "thought" to cause cancer, but who knows? A lot depends on genetics, you know? Tolly's origins are unknown, he found me in the middle of a rain storm when he was 5 weeks old. Probably dumped or tossed out the window of a moving car. He has herpes and a seizure disorder, and over the past few years gets very very ill from fur building up inside him, even with the massive laxatone doses. He has terrible dental genetics, resorptive lesions and tartar starting to build up two months after a dental. So it's very likely he was just born with a cancer gene too.

But if I can find a way to not give the girls the laxatone products so often any more, I will do it.

Last edited:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gail, we're taking Flowerbelle in to see the holistic vet next week. She's had an issue with hairballs forever. When we took in Chumley and chatted about our cats in general, she said that hairballs are not natural for cats, it means some type of gastric imbalance. That's why when Lazlo was vomiting (from what we thought was hairballs), we took him to see her. Well - obviously his problem wasn't hairballs at that point, but there are herbal treatments for hairballs that restore the energy balance to the digestive system, which should eliminate the problem, and thus the kitties should then not require "hairball" treatment.
I know that part of what we give Chumley is to "smooth" and "cool" his gastric system (chinese medicine works on the principles of energy meridians, and excess/lack of "heat," "cold," "damp" or "dry." Hairballs indicate an energy "Qi" deficiency of the "spleen" (the stomach) and excess heat. Doesn't Jenny have problems sometimes with licking her abdomen bare? Or is that Mazy? Either way, that is also an indication of the same source problem).
We mix 1/4 teaspoon of slippery elm powder with 1/4 teaspoon of aloe vera juice. It becomes thick, and we mix it into his food, and sprinkle his probiotic on top of it all. Well - with Tolly not eating cat food right now, I know this isn't an option for him, but you can try it with Jennifer and Mazy. It is a pretty commonly discussed hairball treatment (it's given twice a day). We tried it with Flowerbelle, but she won't touch food with the slippery elm in it. :rolleyes: Chumley seems to like it - Flowerbelle hates it.
I don't know if there's any "one" treatment for hairballs, but I can certainly ask if there's something safe to try. :nod:
Also, if you think part of Tolly's problem is nausea, if the pepcid helps, then great. But if not, please also ask about Cerenia. This completely turned around Lazlo's appetite. At 10 - 11 pounds, he gets 1/4 of a 16mg pill daily (in the am with the pred). He also takes the 10mg pepcid a/d at night. :nod:
Thank you Laurie. I'll ask about Cerenia.

I have heard of using slippery elm, but I have always read that aloe vera is toxic to cats?

Yes it is Jennie who licks her abdomen. Jennie never vomits, but she has constipation/anal gland issues, even on a canned grain free diet, with extra water added. That's why she gets the psyllium periodically. Not too often, as I don't want to create a megacolon. I wonder if she would take to slippery elm instead.

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Re: the aloe vera juice. Perhaps it's the amount being given? Or the distillation process? http://www.holisticat.com/cat-herbs.html

Safe Longer-term:
Marshmallow Root and Slippery Elm Bark -- for nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and constipation. Great for IBD cats to help rebuild
intestinal mucosa as well as for cats with CRF. Give at least 30-60 minutes prior to feeding to avoid nutrient absorption concerns.
Stinging Nettles -- for sneezing/hay fever and inhalant as well as contact allergy symptoms
Dandelion Leaf -- for cats with Congestive Heart Failure (CHF)
Aloe vera juice/gel (inner leaf/fillet only and without additives such as sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate as listed toward the end of this article) -- to help intestinal villi and heal the digestive tract.
Catnip –- appetite and mood stimulant
Turmeric or curcumin –- anti-inflammatory, emmanagogue/blood-moving for conditions such as cancer, and heart benefits.
Interesting about the slippery elm not being given with food. I'm going to ask her about this. :nod:

We use George's Aloe Vera Juice. It's not organic, but it is fractionally distilled with no preservatives. As opposed to the organics, it has no taste at all which is why we use it (it's also less expensive and sold at Walmart, though our health food store matches their price).

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tolly is doing okay, thank you Laurie! He's bigger though. Yesterday he was an inch smaller, but today he is back up to 19 1/2 inches around. However he is content. He is feeling a bit awkward because of the bulky middle but he is not in any pain and is happy to look out his window all day and all night, except when he is on my lap.

His Pink Fur Mouse was in the middle of the floor when I came home tonight. As far as I know, no other cat plays with Tolly's Pink Fur Mice. So it was a bright ray of joy, to see that. :)

Friday first thing I'm taking him in to see his vet. There is a soft lump poking out of his tummy. I thought it was just from the tap on Friday, but it's getting bigger. He doesn't mind if I touch it. He will also get a Cerenia shot on Friday. Vet and I have been playing phone tag, haven't been able to actually speak to her since Monday afternoon, but we've left each other messages and she will see him Friday.

I took some pictures of him tonight

Here is where I found him when I came home, lounging on the cardboard s-scratcher

Here he is from above, as he was coming to the kitchen for supper :(

And I just took these two, he's keeping an eye on his Nocturnal Mouse again

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So glad that Tolly is enjoying himself and feeling good today :D :nod:. You and Tolly are in all of my prayers. Now, don't let Tolly eat toooooooo much turkey :lol3: Continued vibes tonight :wavey::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw, we LOVE the pink furry mouse being in the middle of the floor! :clap: :clap: :clap: :sun: :sun: :sun:

He's just SUCH a sweetheart. I'm sorry he's encumbered by the fluid build-up, and I hope that lump isn't anything to worry about. :hugs: But he's happy, and that makes me soooooo happy! :hugs: :D :hugs:

Continued :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

I hope this will be a lovely Thanksgiving. :heart3:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just stopping by to drop you and Tolly some hugs and love :hugs: :heart3: :hugs: :heart3: :hugs: :heart3: :hugs: :heart3: :hugs: :heart3: :hugs: :heart3:
:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
:hugs:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry about Tolly. I just wanted to tell you how amazing you are and how much your love and devotion shows through in everything you do, not only for Tolly, but for your other furkids, too. I'll keep Tolly in my thoughts that the prednisone works for him and that he remains playful and content. Sending you and all of your babies

and
for Tolly's continued well-being. He is a beautiful boy.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thinking of you Gail :hugs: and sending Tolly :rub: :rub: hoping he is feeling comfortable and content today. Happy Thanksgiving. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ditto to all the comments above.  I love the picture of him waiting for his real mouse to appear. He looks ready to pounce on him!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. Tolly is doing okay. He enjoyed some thanksgiving turkey yesterday, very much, and will have some more later today, and every day as long as it lasts. :) Jennie and Queen Eva also enjoyed the turkey. Mazy doesn't like people food, so she had Chase The Kibble, instead.

Tolly was supposed to see his vet today but she is out sick. I opted to wait until Monday rather than bring him in to one of the other vets. He's doing okay, his appetite is better and he is less dopey so I conclude that he is adjusting to the high dose of prednisone. He will be on 10 mg a day for another week, then drop to 5mg a day.

I wish I could get him to eat some cat foods with higher fat content such as Wellness but he seems to only like the leaner foods. He is getting some dark meat chicken every day, or was, now that turkey has been offered I may have trouble with getting him to eat the dark chicken.:lol3:(I don't have any dark turkey, I only cooked a turkey breast, not a whole turkey)

I've just remembered I do have some sardines here for him, I may offer him some of that later.

Thank you all for your continued thoughts and vibes for us. :grphug:

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gail- have you tried Hill's A/D? (I didn't check back through the thread, so sorry if you already tried the A/D ) You could get a can or two from the vet. It is highly nutritious and for cat's and dog's alike. I have been syringing some into my sweet old baby Wilbur (dog). He does love it and I then feel he is getting something healthy and calorie packed too :nod:.... Maybe Tolly might like it :dk:.. Just very "thankful" you had a wonderful Thanksgiving with Tolly :heart3: :clap::clap::clap::clap: Continuing with sending the vibes :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he likes milk, you might try some half and half. I know with my kitties, it doesnt cause any upset tummies like milk does. I believe it is lower in milk sugars than regular milk, but it does have fat. I'm sure its not the best option, as Im sure you would prefer it from food, but I just thought I would throw that out there just in case.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is the website where I read it.
http://www.naturalnews.com/Report_pet_food_ingredients_8.html
Thing is, so many things are "thought" to cause cancer, but who knows? A lot depends on genetics, you know? Tolly's origins are unknown, he found me in the middle of a rain storm when he was 5 weeks old. Probably dumped or tossed out the window of a moving car. He has herpes and a seizure disorder, and over the past few years gets very very ill from fur building up inside him, even with the massive laxatone doses. He has terrible dental genetics, resorptive lesions and tartar starting to build up two months after a dental. So it's very likely he was just born with a cancer gene too.
But if I can find a way to not give the girls the laxatone products so often any more, I will do it.
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! for passing that link along :nod:!! AND wow, Tolly really has had some serious health issues from the start. Bless you for loving him and caring for him all of these years :heart3: :heart3: He was on lucky little tiny baby to have found you in the middle of a rain storm - makes me sniffle and smile all at the same time!!!!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Just checking in to see how he's doing. I'm glad he's enjoying the turkey so much. I guess that means you'll have to roast a turkey leg for him every week now!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.