Vibes for my Tolly please

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tolly has had two diuretic doses with no response, in fact he is an inch bigger now. My vet is off today, but I am bringing him in to see one of the other vets, to at least have his heart and lungs checked for safety. I'm so scared for him. The appointment isn't until 2:20. He doesn't seem to be in any immediate distress, but I'm so scared for him, and can't just go to work and leave him, worrying that his heart or lungs are going to fill up with fluid.

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's quite possible the dosage is too low to be effective. Large doses, especially if injected, work fast. They really drive out the fluid. The problem with such doses is though that they can be devastating for the kidneys.

I'm hoping you can try a somewhat higher but still safe dose.

Also, I'd like to ask you, did your vet take a chest X-ray when the fluid was discovered?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Violet, I too am hoping that he just needs to be on a higher dose, he is on a very low dose. yes, he had an x ray on Tuesday, and blood work. His kidneys are in normal range, which is why my vet felt okay starting the diuretic, but still feeling cautious enough to keep it to a low dose, there is a danger of low blood pressure caused by interaction between phenobarbital and furosemide (diuretic). At that time of the x ray the lungs and heart were not in danger. However he has gained half a pound and increased another 1 1/2 inches around since then. His breathing now seems slightly labored to me, but of course I am not exactly an objective judge at this point

We'll be leaving in a few minutes. I keep forgetting to eat, it's no wonder I feel out of my mind. I had to call the family I provide services for to let them know I couldn't make it, I feel so bad letting them down, but I know they understand, they are pet lovers too. I meant to stay calm but ended up practically having hysterics while I was talking to her. Ugh.

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're right with your observation, fluid buildup does cause labored breathing. At some point fluid buildup becomes a life-threatening emergency, requiring immediate, large, injected doses of furosemide.

I think Tolly will need emergency measures at the vet today.  I'm praying hard for him. 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OH Sweetie :bawling: I am sending your Tolly serious, gigantic prayers this morning. And warm, calming :hugs::hugs: to you. I am so very sorry :sniffle: you and your darling Tolly are going through this. I am praying hard for him right now :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:.

Last edited:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, we're home. Tolly is NOT in respiratory distress at this point. The vet we saw today was present when my vet did the ultrasound on Tuesday, so he is familiar with the case. He feels the diuretic IS working, but his body is continuing to create more fluid, so he's sort of in a status quo now.

He explained to me again what the (limited) ultrasound showed. Tolly's liver has vacuoles filled with fluid, and there was fluid observed surrounding the liver too. The danger with draining all that fluid too quickly is it will also drain Tolly of important things like potassium and other electrolytes, damage the kidneys (very great danger of that) plus since the cause of the fluid is not known, he will most likely just fill back up again.

This is my non scientific understanding.

What we do: Do not increase the dose of the furosemide, continue with it as directed. Feed and medicate as normal, phenobarbital, baytril, l-lysine, laxatone.

Watch for symptoms of respiratory distress. We went over them again, and he even acted it out for me. If Tolly goes into respiratory distress I am to give him an extra furosemide, just that one time, and get him to the on-call vet immediately.

Immediately is relatively speaking of course because after 9 p.m. and on Sundays that is Cornell, which is why the extra diuretic dose is important. Cornell is a 2 hour drive, in dry, day-light conditions. In wet or dark or both, it will take me even longer. I'm going to print out the directions to have on hand. I've been there many times, but it is not easy to get to, and roads do change. The vet printed out all Tolly's records on this case, blood work and my vet's notes, and ultrasound and x ray notes, and I have a copy of the x ray on disc. This way if I do have an emergency I have everything the attending ER vet will need to know.

We came home and Tolly insisted on his time with me on the floor to tell me all about it before I did anything else. We did that and then he scared the daylights out of me by having a small seizure. The first one since we first reduced his phenobarbital dose in January 2010. Maybe the stress brought it on. The diuretic supposedly does not affect the effectiveness of the phenobarbital.

After the episode, he needed some intense affection, which is a normal post seizure reaction. Then he wanted to eat, also normal after an episode, however, he needed laxatone, so I couldn't feed him. I gave him the laxatone instead, much to his displeasure. (more on that later)

Tolly has an appointment tomorrow morning to see his own vet. He has the appointment on Tuesday to see the radiologist.

So on we go.

A couple of side stories

I needed a way to get the laxatone down him without hurting his mouth. Remember, during all this, Tolly still has those resoprtive lesions.

My friend's suggestion of trying to syringe the laxatone was brilliant. The laxatone is so sticky though, so the syringing into the mouth did not go smoothly, the first time I tried it.

This time after I got the dose in the sryinge, I set the sryinge a dish of warm water for a few minutes. This softened the laxatone even more, and I was able to shoot the stuff to the back of Tolly's throat, avoiding both sides of his mouth where his painful teeth are! I am so happy to have this new method and will use it forever, now. A little more work for me, but way better for the cats.

After Tolly got over his pout about having the laxatone he went down stairs to find his Pink Fur Mouse. It was half way down the stairs, I had seen it when I came in, earlier, and he obviously remembered right where he had left it. I heard him push it the rest of the way down the stairs, then he brought it back up and brought it to me!

I was thrilled to be invited to play Fetch! I tossed it for him and he went after it. He is moving slower than normal, but still interested in his Pink Fur Mice. He chased it down and brought it back to me again. This time when I threw it though, Queen Eva barged in and chased both Tolly and the Mouse, so Tolly didn't bring it back again. Still, seeing him want to play is a big deal.

Tolly made a friend. The new tech that Tolly bonded with on Tuesday was there again. When I picked him up on Tuesday she had told me that he got up to greet her and speak to her every time she was near his cage.

When I told her I was glad to see her there today, she said she was glad she was there to see us, too. "I think Tolly likes me" she said shyly. I said "I KNOW he likes you".

She and Tolly then had a little communing session, it was wonderful to see. She skritched his face and chin and he meeped at her, so she bent down and kissed his head and he bumped his head up to her to receive the kiss. He peeped and meeped at her some more and she had a little conversation with him, and another head bump kiss. I was thrilled.

We always think of our cats as frightened and lonely when they have to stay in the hospital. Seeing things like this, Tolly bonding with that vet tech, and knowing that that was a genuine ritual they were having, not just show for me, it eases the heart a little, to know he has a friend there, you know what I mean?

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have to use laxatone on Dexter occasionally. He hates it!
I might try the syringe idea. :nod:

You are taking such good care of your love....
more healing vibes are on the way. :hugs:
Tolly :vibes::heart3:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to use laxatone on Dexter occasionally. He hates it!
I might try the syringe idea. :nod:
You are taking such good care of your love....
more healing vibes are on the way. :hugs:
Tolly :vibes::heart3:
Thank you! Tolly gets very ill from hair ball sicknesses, the illnesses come every five or six weeks now during the worst of the shedding season, in spite of my efforts at controlling them. He gets diarrhea vomiting and can't eat, some times for days, until the fur passes through. I have to keep him alive with sub q fluids and massive doses of laxatone when it happens. We think it may be a motility problem, but with his phenobarbital, he can't take cisapride. I was very concerned that I would have to skip his doses but the vet today assured me it was fine for him to have it.

Tolly is such a lamb, I can really do anything do him. It's a good thing, because he has so much that needs doing. Seeing him bond with the new Tech gave me a wonderful feeling, knowing he is capable of finding a friend, and responding to some love, even if I can't be right there with him.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my, I missed today, and i'm just worried to bits for you and Tolly! I have no experience at all to inform anything regarding this situation, just know I'm thinking about you both, sending HEAPS of vibes and lots of love! :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :heart3:

It's mystifying that he feels so well, but really, that's so encouraging! I focus on that. :heart3:

I really hope it's just some strange infection, and the antibiotics will resolve whatever's going on!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am taking Tolly to Cornell as an emergency patient. They are expecting us, but it is a long drive. Please pray for us.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh no! Sorry Tolly is having so many issues right now! Sending vibes. :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh no!!!!! :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

Hope you arrived safe, get home safe, and all will be OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Add my prayers to you and Tolly this morning. I am so sad this is happening and hope you make it there safely :cross: Thinking and praying for you both :hugs::hugs::hugs::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh dear...I haven't had a chance to sign on for a couple of days, and I'm devastated at what is happening.  And now to read that Gail is on her way to Cornell in the middle of the day on a Friday...that's not a good sign
.  Does anyone know what happened to cause this?  I'm so worried now, because her normal Vet's office should be open, so they must have sent her to Cornell! 

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
mrsgeenjeens If you go up a few posts in this thread you can read what happened.

Whatever is going on with Tolly right now, Cornell is the absolute best place for him. I'm glad Gail took him without waiting on this another moment. My prayers are with them.

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PS   just realized I totally missed Gail's post about taking Tolly to Cornell when I posted to her about a furosemide side effect she needs to know about.

I'm very, very worried about Tolly. 

Last edited:

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tolly is in my thoughts and prayers... as are all the cats on TCS. But praying extra hard for him and you during this. You and him will get through this. Tolly sounds like he's a fighter..the TCS vibes will just keep coming. Keep the faith...

Status
Not open for further replies.