Vibes for Brody, Please

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the sound of this new vet, and fwiw, I thought seizure as well. I had a cat, Sasha, who suddenly began to have a particular kind where he'd become snappy at his back and aggressive. It was sudden, and we later found out related to a gas leak with my furnace...so sometimes odd things can trigger this, without it's being epilepsy.

I just am so pleased they feel they can treat him for the heartworm, and there is good hope for an answer here.

Bet they are feeding him canned Hills A/D - its for both dogs and cats, very high calorie.

psjauntie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Squirtle: My youngest Charlie had heartworms, and had the two treatments that your new vet is talking about, he did great, and is thriving. By the way they did is nueter at the same time. As long as you keep him calm after the treatments he should be just fine. Also, Charlie has epilisy (sp?). He was having seizures about every two weeks before he started medication, he has only 1 seizure in over two months, and it was quite melllow. Things to look for as part of seizure, after Charlie would have one he had to get sick. I'm glad you found another vet who was caring and took time with you and Brody. I will keep good vibes coming, keep us updated.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tanya, I'm so sorry to hear that Brody's not doing well. But I'm glad to hear about the new vet and her approach -- seems much more involved and caring than the previous one -- and already there are encouraging signs. I'm glad that she's running tests that will give you some answers, and I have my fingers crossed for you and your sweet boy.

These are scary times, when our furpeople are unwell and unable to tell us what doesn't feel right. Never apologize for caring so deeply for the little guy as you obviously do.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
also glad to hear the new vet seems much more caring about your sweet boy! i'm hoping the news will continues to be good

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tanya, I wish I had the write words to say right now.

I am so pleased you went to this new vet and I hope that you get some answers. Please know that Brody will be in my thoughts today and I am always here if you need to talk.

Stay strong little guy - your Mummy is fighting hard for you darling

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, we are back, and with good news

All of his blood work came back perfectly normal. All of his organs are functioning properly. We have decided not to put Brody on seizure medication. Instead they gave me an injection of valum to use if he has one that is more agressive than the previous ones. That is basically for emergency use.. If his seizures become a normal thing then we will learn the pattern they occur and will know better what treatment will work best.
My personal opinion, on the paperwork she gave me it says that seizures can occur from low blood sugar. Brody has hardly eaten, and then when he went out in the heat it triggered it... We will see. Pat was correct, they fed him Hill's A/D. They sent me home with 4 cans to feed him until his appetite returns to normal.
His urine came back with a little blood in it, but she said she wasn't concerned about that. She said it isn't abnormal for indoor dogs to have that.
For the heartworms.. from the blood work results she can tell that the heartworms are not as bad as the original vet assumed. I say assumed because tests were never run on Brody by him! She feels Brody will do perfectly through the treatments. We will begin in the next few weeks. She does want to wait a bit to check on seizure patterns.. The treatments will be broken up so there is less of a risk of complications.
Brody is sleeping right now, which is good. I know he is one tired pup. He had so much fun at the vets office we had to drag him out the door!

I feel a little silly now because I brought him to the vet thinking the worst, and picked him up finding out that he is healthier than we ever suspected. I guess that's the best kind of vet visit to have though

I cna't thank you guys enough for your support through today! You are all amazing

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm going to echo everyone else - never apologize about being upset with worry for your little ones. The one thing I have found with TCS is that this is the place to go because everyone here knows how important our animals are for us.

So sending vibes that the tests help you understand what is going on with him.

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

I brought him to the vet thinking the worst, and picked him up finding out that he is healthier than we ever suspected. I guess that's the best kind of vet visit to have though
then I think that vet trip was worth it

I am so pleased for you both Tanya - what wonderful wonderful news

sleep well tired little boy

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tanya...
Your new vet sounds like a god-send for you and sweet Brody.

I will be praying that Brody does not have another seizure so that your new vet can begin his heartworm treatments.
You are truly a loving doggie Mommy.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wonderful news...give that pup a skritch from me (okay, I can smooch a dog, give him a smooch on the forehead from me).

I'm glad you found this vet, and that the news was so good!!!

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tanya I'm soo sorry I did'nt see this thread till now

I'm soo glad you found a new vet, who seems to care about Brody-poo. I hope his seizure was just heat/lack of food related, and he can go ahead with his treatment, which sounds soo much safer than the other one

Sorry I could'nt offer any help earlier, but I am soo happy it was'nt what you initially thought

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
WTG, Brody!!! That's terrific news, Tanya. I'm so glad this was not as serious as it seemed. And VERY happy you have this new vet, who really does seem to be a prize.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

I feel a little silly now because I brought him to the vet thinking the worst, and picked him up finding out that he is healthier than we ever suspected. I guess that's the best kind of vet visit to have though
I certainly wouldn't feel silly, especially after the diagnosis the first vet gave you

YAY brody!!!!
I am so happy you found this vet!

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you all again so much for your support!

I am sitting on the day bed catching up on emails and such and Brody is laying down by my legs. He is such a sleepy boy.

I am wondering if I should try to feed him anymore wet food tonight

He normally eats about 1 to 1-1/2 cups of dry food each day. Since he isn't eating much the vet gave me the Hills A/D to feed him. He ate 1/2 can at their office. Should I try to feed him the other half tonight, or let him be?

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would..if it would help, though I know the caloric needs may be different between the two species...to try and get some weight back on Tyler, my vet wants him to have 1 can of a/d per day plus 6 ounces of blenderized wet food (I feed him 4x a day).
Tyler is currently under 8 lbs. and we are trying to get him back up to 8 1/2 at least.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

I would..if it would help, though I know the caloric needs may be different between the two species...to try and get some weight back on Tyler, my vet wants him to have 1 can of a/d per day plus 6 ounces of blenderized wet food (I feed him 4x a day).
Tyler is currently under 8 lbs. and we are trying to get him back up to 8 1/2 at least.
Thanks, Pat! I knew you would have the answer
I will try him with some in a few minutes. I haven't seen him eat it yet, but the vet tech told me that he LOVED the food. Tomorrow morning I will give him some before work, and then try again on my lunch break as well.