vets catfood recommendation

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feel much as you do, KittyFriday KittyFriday , yet I am feeding Sylvie a Purina food as part of the current rotation, simply because she likes it and her gut tolerates it well--two qualities that can be hard to find in the same food when the cat can't tolerate chicken, which is ubiquitous.

The Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach canned foods have short, simple ingredient lists; the Duck variety is just "Duck, Liver, Meat By-Products, Water, Ocean Whitefish, Inulin," plus all the necessary vitamin and mineral supplements. The list on the Arctic Char variety (which Sylvie prefers, probably because it has a smoother, less grainy texture) is similarly short, and I appreciate the lack of potentially problematic ingredients like peas (and pea protein) and unnecessary fruits and vegetables added to make the food sound super-healthy to humans.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Potter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i only questioned it because i followed the food idm, may have that wrong , but hills royal and purina were rated so low. but a someone here sent a link, that shows who has hired vets etc.on staff and who owns/manufactures their own food, and tests them so that maybe more important?

Potter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I avoided my Vet’s recommendation on Hill’s and Royal Canin, simply b/c they are outrageously expensive where I am, and, my cat snubs them.
I feel much as you do, KittyFriday KittyFriday , yet I am feeding Sylvie a Purina food as part of the current rotation, simply because she likes it and her gut tolerates it well--two qualities that can be hard to find in the same food when the cat can't tolerate chicken, which is ubiquitous.

The Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach canned foods have short, simple ingredient lists; the Duck variety is just "Duck, Liver, Meat By-Products, Water, Ocean Whitefish, Inulin," plus all the necessary vitamin and mineral supplements. The list on the Arctic Char variety (which Sylvie prefers, probably because it has a smoother, less grainy texture) is similarly short, and I appreciate the lack of potentially problematic ingredients like peas (and pea protein) and unnecessary fruits and vegetables added to make the food sound super-healthy to humans.
yes i saw one purina pro plan pasta and spinach , i thought cats were carinvores?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I personally prefer Halo, Weruva and their brands, tiki cat, Blue, Forza10, Koha, Kasiks.

You can look at the ingredients list, and the nutritional analysis of most of these foods and make your own determination:)

Potter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I personally prefer Halo, Weruva and their brands, tiki cat, Blue, Forza10, Koha, Kasiks.

You can look at the ingredients list, and the nutritional analysis of most of these foods and make your own determination:)
yes i previously only bought halo and weruva

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yes i saw one purina pro plan pasta and spinach , i thought cats were carinvores?
I think that's mainly just what they labeled the food to make it sound more gourmet. If you look at the actual ingredients list, it's predominantly chicken, turkey, and liver.

Potter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think that's mainly just what they labeled the food to make it sound more gourmet. If you look at the actual ingredients list, it's predominantly chicken, turkey, and liver.
yes just a marketing ploy