vets catfood recommendation

Potter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
why do vets always recommend the worst cat food brands ie: purina pro,hills and royal canine?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
More than likely because those are the only brands that have prescription cat food, IMO. Sales reps routinely visit vets and tout their foods (and meds) as the most appropriate for certain health conditions. I doubt the vets are asking to have sales reps from other brands come in and talk to them about other foods that can be bought OTC. And just think of the gazillion options when it comes to OTC cat food.

This is an interesting article I found on the subject of nutrition in general as it relates to vets. It is only one person's perspective, but there is probably some truth in it anyway.
The Biggest Myths about Vets and Nutrition (drandyroark.com)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does your cat currently have a health issue? We might be able to help with suggestions.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet long time ago told me how vets would join for meetings with people higher up and do what there told to do. I can tell my supervisor is nervous when the store manager comes over then he gets nervous when the district comes over to check on how things are going and make improvements. So it's really not the vets fault that they have to sell certain food

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Potter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
More than likely because those are the only brands that have prescription cat food, IMO. Sales reps routinely visit vets and tout their foods (and meds) as the most appropriate for certain health conditions. I doubt the vets are asking to have sales reps from other brands come in and talk to them about other foods that can be bought OTC. And just think of the gazillion options when it comes to OTC cat food.

This is an interesting article I found on the subject of nutrition in general as it relates to vets. It is only one person's perspective, but there is probably some truth in it anyway.
The Biggest Myths about Vets and Nutrition (drandyroark.com)
thank you

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Something to keep in mind, on the flip side so to speak, is that there are more and more nonprescription cat food manufacturers that are realizing cat owners are becoming more educated and demanding. So for example, Weruva has cat food varieties that contain low phosphorus (better for cats with kidney disease) and low iodine (necessary for cats with Hyper-thyroidism) plus a line that is super low phosphorus. Additionally, they've eliminated carrageenan.
Evangers and Dave's have new varieties that are low phosphorus.

:vibes::heartshape:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Potter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Something to keep in mind, on the flip side so to speak, is that there are more and more nonprescription cat food manufacturers that are realizing cat owners are becoming more educated and demanding. So for example, Weruva has cat food varieties that contain low phosphorus (better for cats with kidney disease) and low iodine (necessary for cats with Hyper-thyroidism) plus a line that is super low phosphorus. Additionally, they've eliminated carrageenan.
Evangers and Dave's have new varieties that are low phosphorus.

:vibes::heartshape:
exactly, thats why im not sure why they recommend those brands i mentioned

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat was on Prescription food for struitive crystals. Since the crystals dissolved I put her on commercial food. Crystals came back so back on Prescription food. Crystals dissolved,now she only eats weruva. So I do believe it is needed for some things. Now she has ibd. My vet said I can feed her anything

Morpheus1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Check out www.catfooddb.com
most prescription food is high carb and starches. If no food is working for my cat but prescription,so be it.
The OP wasn't talking about prescription food.

I just find it extremely hard to believe that a vet is going to knowingly suggest a cat food that is not appropriate for your cat. And if you feel that they are, you need to find another vet.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Probably unpopular, but I feed Purina to both my dog and cat. They love it and do well on it, vet approves it, and I'm happy because Purina's foods are backed up by extensive research. After the DCM scare with dogs a couple of years ago, that's important to me.

I don't like supporting large corporate brands and would love to support a smaller one, but they don't always have the same research behind their formulations. I also feel like there are a lot of foods that "greenwash" (not the right term, but I can't think of the correct one), where they market their food as fresh or full of all natural ingredients, even when that might not be the case. Some even attack ingredients that are in popular food brands and paint them as dangerous or bad, even when they're not. So keep an eye out for that as well.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I avoided my Vet’s recommendation on Hill’s and Royal Canin, simply b/c they are outrageously expensive where I am, and, my cat snubs them.