Vetmedin shortage

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spike is on Vetmedin for her DCM. I stopped by the vet to pick up her refill, and they were out. They said there is a shortage of the medication. (Really annoyed that they didn't tell me this when I phoned in the refill request 4 days prior) I frantically began checking with online companies and finally found one that had it in stock. Ordered it, but even with expedited shipping, it means 2 days without her meds. I'm scared to death because this med helps her heart contract and opens blood vessels. I can already see she is uncomfortable. I even tried local compounding pharmacies with no luck.

I guess this post is just a warning to anyone using Vetmedin that there is a shortage. Also, anyone who has a pet on any medication - don't wait until the last day before you get more. I'm kicking myself for not picking it up sooner. If I would have known that there were difficulties getting the meds, I could have received the mail order ones before she ran out.

Any good vibes for Spike would be appreciated!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you thought of asking your vet if any other clients are on this med and if so, would they give you 2 days worth. You would be warning them of the shortage so they dont fall into the situation your in. Worth a try.