Veterans Day

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
While watching tv with my morning coffee I was reminded of the poem, "In Flanders Fields."

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While watching tv with my morning coffee I was reminded of the poem, "In Flanders Fields."

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
Indeed.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I re-read "In Flanders Fields" every year on Veterans Day and Memorial Day. It never fails to move me. The author, Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, wrote it in 1915 after one of his closest friends was killed at Ypres. He died in January 1918 before the end of the war.

1573501735538.png

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank YOU for your service! :thumbsup:
Whenever someone thanks me for serving, I always thank them- for remembering, because it wasn't always the case. In fact, it was sometime in the mid-90s before anyone said that to me for the first time.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do not have family or close friends who are vets. I was in college during Vietnam so I saw all the demonstrations. I did not approve of that war and even less of Afghanistan, but I do honor those who served and did what they thought was right. War is just so sad.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I opposed the war in Vietnam at the time because I wanted to stop the pointless killing of our sons, husbands, fathers, and friends. I never demonstrated in a protest, but I think this was the way many of the protesters felt. It was not hate for the soldiers or their commanders that fueled the protests, but the loss of life.

The soldiers came home in dribs and drabs, so there was no tribute for any of them. Some of the soldiers were mocked and spit on, but not all of them. Frankly, I cried when I saw John McCain and his fellow prisoners touch down in their home country. I was so glad the war was over.

Pete Seeger wrote a protest song, "Where Have All the Flowers Gone?" Peter, Paul and Mary – Where Have All The Flowers Gone

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I served from 1976 to 1984 so no combat zones. My ex was a Vietnam vet and the way that they were treated when they came home was shameful. When I was serving the realization of that took hold. Even Jane Fonda apologized for some of what she did, my ex never did forgive her.

I always really liked this song called Angel Flight about the C130's that bring the fallen home. This video has footage of the flares that they use to resemble an angel.

Doesn't matter. You put on the suit. You took the chance. That's good enough for me.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
God bless all of our veterans. Every year there is a parade in our community to honor them. It is not nearly as well attended as the Christmas parade, but some folks do show up. It is always a really good parade, with old cars, fire trucks, bands, dignitaries, and lots of other neat entries. Afterwards, there is free lunch provided for the vets and their famillies.