Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Got the day wrong, it's Monday.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, a big thank you to all who have served, still do and to those who were left behind as their loved ones served.

Is anyone participating in any of the ceremonies on Monday? Unfortunately, I have to work, for whatever reason, only government employees get the day off. Why this is not a national holiday for all, so everyone can participate, I do not understand. In my husbands family, there are several who have served (career), and my brother in law is recently retired from the military, although still a reservist. He did 2 tours in Afghanistan, he made it home but unfortunately one of his friends did not (roadside bomb), to which he witnessed.
Just this Friday, we placed my husbands Grandmas ashes in the veterans wall along side her husband. We placed a fresh poppy on his urn at the same time. The area they have for veterans at that cemetery is quite beautiful, well, the whole cemetery is very beautiful really.

So again, a big thank you.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, a big thank you to all who have served, still do and to those who were left behind as their loved ones served.

Is anyone participating in any of the ceremonies on Monday? Unfortunately, I have to work, for whatever reason, only government employees get the day off. Why this is not a national holiday for all, so everyone can participate, I do not understand. In my husbands family, there are several who have served (career), and my brother in law is recently retired from the military, although still a reservist. He did 2 tours in Afghanistan, he made it home but unfortunately one of his friends did not (roadside bomb), to which he witnessed.
Just this Friday, we placed my husbands Grandmas ashes in the veterans wall along side her husband. We placed a fresh poppy on his urn at the same time. The area they have for veterans at that cemetery is quite beautiful, well, the whole cemetery is very beautiful really.

No, I'm not. When I got out, back in '71, I took off my uniform and never wore it again- not for anyone or anything. Yes, most of those who trashed us are dead and gone, but the memories remain to this day.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, most of those who trashed us are dead and gone, but the memories remain to this day.
It's too bad you guys got so much hate. There are many who did not agree with the "war on terrorism", but there was still respect for those who served. It's unfortunate that did not also apply to Vietnam. (I assume that is the one you are referring to). I'll admit that I don't know much about that war, and why it was so hated. The reasons for the lack of support of the war may have been warranted (IDK) but you are still deserving of the respect that all those who risk theirs lives should get.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I'm not. When I got out, back in '71, I took off my uniform and never wore it again- not for anyone or anything. Yes, most of those who trashed us are dead and gone, but the memories remain to this day.
I never understood that. I mean it was a draft and you went whether you liked it or not, but people blamed the grunts instead of the people in charge.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never understood that. I mean it was a draft and you went whether you liked it or not, but people blamed the grunts instead of the people in charge.
It's such a shame that some people don't understand it's not the boy's it's the government's who decide. My boy was sent to Afghanistan he didn't choose that my boy made it home some of his friends either didn't come home or came back with life changing injuries. You all deserve are respect. Thankyou.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Not tomorrow but daughter and grandson went into town this morning for remembrance service and parade.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes, I think it is harder on family than on the soldiers. We had guns. We could strike at our enemy. Those back home could only sit and wait and hope- powerless to do something- anything- to change the course of events by one whit. We had more than enough to keep us occupied, such as staying alive.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes, I think it is harder on family than on the soldiers. We had guns. We could strike at our enemy. Those back home could only sit and wait and hope- powerless to do something- anything- to change the course of events by one whit. We had more than enough to keep us occupied, such as staying alive.
All I can say is yeah I worried every day but I had younger siblings of his to stop them worrying about their big brother was hard. It's my job to worry as mum. But I don't think for one moment it was harder on us because I know my boy never told me everything he went through so we didn't worry I thank him for that too.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I served from 1976 to 1984 so no combat zones. My ex was a Vietnam vet and the way that they were treated when they came home was shameful. When I was serving the realization of that took hold. Even Jane Fonda apologized for some of what she did, my ex never did forgive her.

I always really liked this song called Angel Flight about the C130's that bring the fallen home. This video has footage of the flares that they use to resemble an angel.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I served from 1976 to 1984 so no combat zones. My ex was a Vietnam vet and the way that they were treated when they came home was shameful. When I was serving the realization of that took hold. Even Jane Fonda apologized for some of what she did, my ex never did forgive her.

I always really liked this song called Angel Flight about the C130's that bring the fallen home. This video has footage of the flares that they use to resemble an angel.

Thank you for serving, Denice and your ex as well. I love the video.