Vetco And Vaccination

CatPrince

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
These are probably a dumb questions but has anyone ever took their cats to get vaccinated at petco/vetco? How much was it and do they take cash? Debit? Credit? Also what happens if I get my kitten vaccinated for fvrcp, felv, and rabies, but don't go back for boosters?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Affordable Pet Vaccination Packages & Prices

The Healthy Cat / Kitten package is $55. Rabies vaccination is a separate fee of $19. I'm sure they take cash, credit card, and debit card. There's a number at the bottom of the page you can call to ask about payment options.

You are free to take your kitten to any vet you want. If you decide to get the boosters elsewhere, it's ok :agree: Just bring confirmation from Vetco that your kitten already had the first shots. Sometimes the bill is itemized and will list what shots were given. Or just ask for a copy of your kitten's records. Some vets will send out reminder (post card, email, phone call) if your pet is due for a booster or check up but you are under no obligation to schedule an appointment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatPrince

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Affordable Pet Vaccination Packages & Prices

The Healthy Cat / Kitten package is $55. Rabies vaccination is a separate fee of $19. I'm sure they take cash, credit card, and debit card. There's a number at the bottom of the page you can call to ask about payment options.

You are free to take your kitten to any vet you want. If you decide to get the boosters elsewhere, it's ok :agree: Just bring confirmation from Vetco that your kitten already had the first shots. Sometimes the bill is itemized and will list what shots were given. Or just ask for a copy of your kitten's records. Some vets will send out reminder (post card, email, phone call) if your pet is due for a booster or check up but you are under no obligation to schedule an appointment.
I'm new to this taking kitten to the vet lol. I'ma get a kitten from a friend's friend soon and the kitten has no medical record or anything so ima have to take her to get her first shots, but I wasn't sure if boosters were necessary.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here are vaccination guidelines: Canine and Feline Vaccination Guidelines | UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine - Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital

FVRCP is a set of shots: the intial shot and a booster 3-4 weeks later. A booster 1 year later is often done.

The FeLV vaccine is another set: initial and a booster 2-4 weeks later. A yearly vaccine is usually given.

Many people don't bother with vaccinations after a kitten has ben given the basic shots and boosters. There are various reasons: indoor only cat, concerns about sarcomas, etc. Rabies vaccination is required by law in some states so that is something your kitten will need to get, either the 1 year vaccine or the 3 year vaccine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatPrince

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here are vaccination guidelines: Canine and Feline Vaccination Guidelines | UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine - Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital

FVRCP is a set of shots: the intial shot and a booster 3-4 weeks later. A booster 1 year later is often done.

The FeLV vaccine is another set: initial and a booster 2-4 weeks later. A yearly vaccine is usually given.

Many people don't bother with vaccinations after a kitten has ben given the basic shots and boosters. There are various reasons: indoor only cat, concerns about sarcomas, etc. Rabies vaccination is required by law in some states so that is something your kitten will need to get, either the 1 year vaccine or the 3 year vaccine.
Yeah I was planning to stop vaccination after the kitten shots because my kitten will most likely be an in door cat. I was thinking:
1) Fvrcp(ML non adjuvanted) twice at the age of 10 weeks and the 2nd shot for Fvrcp at 16 weeks of age (to lessen chance of kidney inflammations and sarcoma/s) and then maybe a booster at 16 month of age.
2) felv (pure Vax non adjuvant) maybe once since my kitten will be strictly indoors, but I might just get her vaccinated incase she escapes the house and comes into contact with a felv positive cat.
3)rabies (3 years pure Vax) maybe at the age of
16 weeks cause from what I have researched, vaccines works better as the kitten is a lil bit older. And maybe booster every 3 years depending how i feel cause rabies isn't very heard about much in where I live.
So pretty much my first vetco visit would only be non adjuvant Fvrcp and felv (purevax) and then at 16 weeks pure Vax rabies/last Fvrcp shot. Just hope vetco do carry purevax/non adjuvant
P.s any tips? Advice?

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
You can ask for blood titers. There are several labs offering them at better rates than the hundreds they used to be. My kits will get their 3 year rabies and then hopefully by the time any of my cats need a new rabies titers will be even more available.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I suggest calling the Vetco clinic that you plan to use and ask if they use the PureVax rabies vaccination, if they have the 1 year one or the 3 year one, and if they have the vaccine in stock. Some vets may not use the PureVax or may only have the 1 year in stock. I don't think vets can order one vaccine at a time, more like a whole case and they may not have enough clients to justify buying a whole case.

Is Vetco the only clinic in your area? You may also want to have a back up vet hospital in mind just in case your kitten ever needs to be seen at a time Vetco is closed. You can ask the Vetco clinic about what to do for after hours emergencies.

sailon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
These are probably a dumb questions but has anyone ever took their cats to get vaccinated at petco/vetco? How much was it and do they take cash? Debit? Credit? Also what happens if I get my kitten vaccinated for fvrcp, felv, and rabies, but don't go back for boosters?
I plan on trying Petco this month. I've always gone to my vet, but they give the rabies shot as part of an Annual Wellness Checkup at a cost of $200. Petco charges $19 for the rabies shot.

Since Maxine is an indoor-only cat I probably wouldn't bother with the vaccination at all, except the groomer I take Max to requires proof of a current shot.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Many shot clinics do not use Purevax.
In fact everyone should be wary of low cost vaccination clinics. My BAD VET made a point of giving away free rabies shots one year. Who knows how many dogs and cats she toxified with unsafe vaccines. I suggest that any vet at the clinic be thoroughly checked out.