Vet visit frequency for 5yr old or so cats?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I was under the impression here that for a healthy 5 yr old cat, an annual vet visit would do it.
I do annual vet visits with a complete senior panel, urinalysys, and they also go to the dentist every year (I request the tests). Bugsy has a yearly dental, the others have if necessary. For a long time Bugsy went more often to have his mouth checked, or for a liver panel, but yearly exams are the "regular protocol", per se.
The reason for my question is this: My regular vet, who I trust with my eyes closed, says this is quite good for their age group - unless they are sick, in which case I will take them in immediately, of course.

Well, I received a call from the holistic vet whom I went once to discuss Bugsy's raw diet, and who also gives holistic drops for his stomatitis, saying that he is required to go in TWICE a year as a 5-year old for a blood test and a fecal. This is the first time I hear such a thing. When I asked the reason for the tests, I was just told because the Dr.'s protocol is 2x/yr exams for pets over five. Well...... I told them he had a blood test six months ago when he had his dental and I never heard of such a thing, and I faxed the tests to their attention. If this is their protocol and that's what it takes to refill the stomatitis drops, I will discontinue his "treatment" as I think what is working is the diet and not the drops anyways.

So, am I wrong to think this vet is trying to rip me off?

I am confused!

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
5 years is so young for starting to treat them like geriatric cats.  (That's how I see their policy anyways.)  I would be perturbed by it too. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
5 years is so young for starting to treat them like geriatric cats.  (That's how I see their policy anyways.)  I would be perturbed by it too. 
Yeah, that's my impression too.... I called the vet at the dental clinic he goes to, since I have immediate access to ask questions..... They said there is no need for Bugsy to go to the vet 2x a year. He is as healthy as he could be, his last blood test was perfect, his mouth is fantastic, his IBD is a non-issue....... If he was having troubles or his blood test showed some wrong...... but it is not the case :dk:

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, that's my impression too.... I called the vet at the dental clinic he goes to, since I have immediate access to ask questions..... They said there is no need for Bugsy to go to the vet 2x a year. He is as healthy as he could be, his last blood test was perfect, his mouth is fantastic, his IBD is a non-issue....... If he was having troubles or his blood test showed some wrong...... but it is not the case :dk:
I agree. It would be like a doctor telling you you needed multiple yearly visits at age 20! If you're healthy otherwise, there's no reason for that.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, I'm suspicious too. My Pushy has had dental issues all his life and two separate extraction operations. My vet doesn't push for more than once annual check-ups though.