Vet Says Fip . . . But I'm Confused (video)

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This beautiful orange male is my buddy. He's part of an established feral/stray colony on one of our properties in Hollywood, Florida. I'm a Regional Manager for a large property management company in Orlando and spend a lot of time traveling to different apartment complexes.

I first met this orange cat about a year ago when he was painfully skinny. He honestly was one of the skinniest cats I'd ever seen and he ate a lot so I couldn't figure it out. In June he was wormed and TNR'd and began to, I thought, thrive. But when I came back last week his abdomen looked swollen to me; plus, residents kept thinking he was a pregnant she.

I took him to a vet recommended by Google and a few of the locals on Monday who did a FIV test which was negative. He also ran another blood test (see photo) which he told me would tell us whether the cat had FIP. The vet just called me and said that the test was positive and that the cat had the dry form of FIP. This was confusing because I took the cat in because his abdomen was swollen. I point blank asked the vet if the test he ran was for the coronavirus and he said yes. I asked him again if it was certain the cat would develop FIP and he said yes. I didn't think you could test for FIP specifically.

Also, the cat eats fine. In fact, he eats too much because of all the different residents feeding him

I've attached two videos that sort of show his large abdomen. Does this look like FIP? I've also attached a photo of the two tests run by the vet.

Test.jpg

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Your videos didn't attach, but I'm just as confused as you are about what the vet said. Hopefully, someone will get on here with more direct experience. Cornavirus, which there IS a test for, only indicates a possibility for FIP to develope. I think that your vet was taking the positive result along with the swelling and calling it FIP. I might consider a second opinion, although I know this might not be possible, given that this is a colony cat and your resources must be somewhat limited.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You were really quick! I had to go back and add the media.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had a vet tell me she was fairly certain Link had FIP. Not from a test, but from symptoms alone. Turns out he was constipated. :rolleyes3:

I think, and someone correct me if I am wrong, the only true way to know is testing fluid build up. But that only works for wet, dry is usually only able to be clinically seen in organs after death. If you have the resources to, see about further testing or seeing someone else. If not, keep him comfortable until it's his time.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone know what the $85.00 test on the photo was for? I'm assuming it was a coronavirus test. But that's not definitive for FIP, right?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The $85 test is the FCV Titer. See below.

http://www.antechdiagnostics.com/main/antechinsights/december-2013-17.aspx
Scroll down to FIP Testing: Sifting through the confusion:
  • "The Feline Coronavirus Titer (T595) determines if cats have high titers of antibodies against feline coronavirus (FCV). Presence of antibodies is tested at titers of 400 and 1600. Most cats with FIP have high (≥ 1:400) coronavirus titers and a very high titer (≥ 1:1,600) along with other supportive signs is very suggestive of FIP. A titer <1:400 indicates that the cat does not have high antibody concentrations (and is therefore less likely to have FIP), but does not mean that the cat has a negative coronavirus titer. In other words, a low coronavirus titer does not rule out FIP. Coronaviral titers can be performed on body cavity effusions or CSF, although there is no compelling evidence that testing these fluids offers diagnostic advantage over serum testing."

I think I would want to see the results to the T595 test personally.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You cannot do a test to confirm FIP, only to confirm corona virus which does NOT have to automatically lead to FIP. I am not even sure that testing the belly fluid with positively confirm FIP.

The dry form of FIP does not cause belly swelling. Both types are primarily determined based on "process of elimination" of other possible causes. I had a cat (Tawny) succumb to FIP (wet), at 15. It wasn't because they could confirm that, it was because they felt they had ruled out other causes.

Both forms of FIP usually mutate from corona virus in young kittens, but there are occasions where that has occurred in cats up to 3 years of age. For the most part, after that, the corona virus MAY mutate to FIP in a cat's older age, as that is when the immune system (just like humans) become more weakened.

Not sure about the bill. Just call the vet and ask.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Here is an Article which discusses both wet and dry forms of FIP - Note the paragraph on "Symptoms of FIP" which mentions abdominal swelling:
Fip In Cats

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for all the information, friends. This was really bothering me so I called my vet in Orlando who actually agrees with the vet in Hollywood. There is a high probability this cat has FIP. My Orlando vet and I were able to video conference so I could show her the cat's abdomen clearly.

On Monday the Hollywood vet withdrew straw colored fluid from his abdomen that was consistent with FIP, and that, coupled with the results of the T595 test (that Jen was so kind to explain), along with his physical appearance, make a fairly strong case for FIP, according to my very trustworthy Orlando vet.

I feel so bad about this because I think it was triggered by his neutering. He came back with a terrible, terrible cold, and I think the cold, coupled with the surgery, was the "stressful event" that often triggers the coronavirus to mutate.

My vet told me to keep an eye on his breathing and food intake, and that when it was time we would know. I'm not on this property much and that really worries me. I don't want the staff here to let him suffer. I'd take him home with me but my cats are both negative for the coronavirus.

This is such a terrible thing. He's the sweetest cat ever.

Thank you again for all of your help. And Jen, I actually thought that "T595" was an insurance code so thank you especially for clarifying that.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My experience with FIP (wet) was on a ginger cat just like yours. His name was Tom, he came to me as a tom cat two years earlier, the name was apt.

Long before his belly started to swell, he showed other symptoms that misled the vets from the diagnosis of FIP.

The poor cat started with a fever that wouldn't go away even with meds and antibiotics and he started being off from food from day one. It was July 19, 2013.
He was more lethargic and less interested in interaction with me. He would hide more often. He was losing weight too.
Then he started having breathing issues (end of July, beginning of August 2013) and he was drained from his chest three times over two weeks. The color of that fluid was a good clue for a possible FIP, but there was no certainty. He was also hospitalized at the Vet University Hospital for 10 days.
Then his belly started to swell. At this point he was weighing nearly half of his original weight. It was past mid-August.
A new ultrasound scan revealed fluids in his abdomen. This fluid was drained and tested and was positive for a wet FIP diagnosis.

Tom was put on meds, namely interferon, antibiotics and an appetite stimulant usually used for human treatments. Also the vet put a catheter in one of his veins to administer fluids at home. It was the end of August, beginning of September.
He bounced back and was loving and alert for about ten days.

Then, on an afternoon (Sept 13), we found him laying on the floor of the room we were using for him only, he was not responsive, though he sensed I was there.
This was his last day... A vet came over and all went smooth.

This said, from what was my only and terrible experience with this wicked disease, I didn't see in your cat any of the important symptoms I know.
Of course your vets agree on the diagnosis. I can only hope they are both wrong, as it usually (and too often) happens.

Best of luck, and thank you for caring for strays and ferals!!!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is, indeed, a wicked disease! I am hoping against hope that this is a misdiagnosis, but...should it be so, with the dry form, he will have more good time left than with wet, which is rapidly and rather horribly fatal. Poor guy. Keep us posted on how he does.