Vet said tests were "inconclusive", now I'm nervous

kshaeblue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my cat was losing a lot of hair on one of his back legs in Jan. I took him to the vet, they gave me a spray. It didn't help. I took him back last week and they said he had lost 2lbs and they wanted to do blood tests. They said he is anemic and had an enlarged spleen and that I should get an ultrasound because he could have cancer. The ultrasounds were done. They said they couldn't see any specific signs of cancer, all other vitals and organs were normal, and they gave me predisone for him and said to just monitor his behavior/eating habits and to come back if there were any drastic changes. They said it was possible to do a more thorough test, but I spent $1300 on vet bills in 2 days and I can't afford to spend any more. When they said he might have cancer I was prepared for good news or bad news. A definite yes he does or no he doesn't. But they said the test was inconclusive, didn't show anything, so now I'm so worried about him. I felt bad that I didn't noticed his hair loss right away, I didn't know that he looked thinner. I'm afraid I'm not going to notice that something is wrong and I'll come home to an unfortunate site one of these days. Is there a way to calm my fears?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No sign of cancer is a good thing! Inconclusive means they could not see anything. I am guessing the anemia might have caused the weight loss. That makes them tired and feeling weak. The enlarged spleen probably affected appetite too. Blood work and urinalysis did not show more? No medicine was given for bacterial or fungal infections? No antibiotics? No iron supplements? Tests for parasites were run? If the tests didn’t show further cause for concern then maybe he will gain the weight back. Sometimes a trauma like ,if he fell and injured his abdomen can cause an enlarged spleen. Any information from the vet about other causes? If not, make sure he is eating good nutritional food. Some bone broth might be helpful. You can weigh him on a scale to help keep track. Check his gums regularly to make sure they are nice and pink. If you worry you will miss something then keep a little journal of his habits. Just a simple note keeping thing. What he ate, that he is drinking about the same amount, going to the litter box, activities, energy level the same, sleeping more etc. Make this a daily routine after feeding or before bed or something. A photo record is helpful too because you can compare one week to another or one month to another. I take lots of photos and tend to notice changes that way. If he goes outside, I would keep him inside to make sure he is observed in all his daily habits. A phone call back to the vet with questions about specific things to watch for might help you. Get copies of the vet records too. You can go back to them to refresh your memory as needed. Weight , blood work etc. should be on the records. Definitely watch for any sign of fleas. Some cats can lose fur from a single flea bite. Also, fleas and other parasites like heart worms can cause anemia or the other symptoms you mentioned.
If kitty continues to lose fur or develops other symptoms he will need to go back or to another vet. Maybe you can work out a payment program with that vet or another. There is some financial help available in some circumstances so do keep us posted here if anything comes up that you feel you need help with. Have a good talk with the vet. They are the experts and the best source for answering your questions. Let them know about all your worries. Most are very good at putting you more at ease. A good vet loves the animals too. Try not to stress if possible so kitty won’t worry about you. Our kitties love us and don’t want us stressed out just as we don’t want them stressed. If you need to vent or just talk, many will be here to offer support. Sending calming purrs to you both! :purr:

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't help you with diagnostics, but the most important question to ask the vet is, would treatment be any different/possible if you got a confirmed diagnosis? If it wouldn't, there's no practical point, and it's definitely not worth feeling guilty about.

I'm so sorry your kitty is sick, and I hope the steroids help the symptoms and make him comfortable. I'm wishing for the best.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kshaeblue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your replies. I had to go to two different vets because one didn't have the needed equipment. I'm calling the family vet tomorrow for the blood work and urinalysis results. I will try and keep good track of things. Thank you for your well wishes for me and kitty :))

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there. So sorry you're kitty and you are going through this. XOXOX

If the urinalysis comes back with blood in it than that is possibly where the anemia came from. If it does, have them runs tests for bacteria and make sure they include culture and sensitivity.

Did the vet mention possible allergies for the hair loss?

AS Jcatbird Jcatbird suggested get a copy of all the test and the vets notes. (Often Vets fail to tell you things but they are in the notes) Read them and keep them in case the cat has to see another doctor.

XOXOXOXOXOOX