Vet Recommends Royal Canin?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Royal Canin SO, Hill's CD, and Purina Pro all have canned urinary care food. You could check the ingredients and see if one of them would be acceptable to you. Purina Pro is also non-prescription. And, as far as the other two - my local PetSmart will issue a prescription each time it needs to be renewed even though I don't use them for vet services.

I just recently heard of Wysong Uretic - but I am not sure if it is only in dry.

Many members on here will tell you that if get good wet food and ensure your cat drinks a lot of water, that you don't need urinary specific food. I've had Feeby on two the three above after bladder surgery for stones 8 years ago. I ain't 'rockin the boat' at this point.

Oh yeah, maybe a water fountain? I may have missed that in a previous post - sorry if I did.

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
since buying the RC is so important to your vet and nothing else will do, tell you slap can't afford her prices. Does she know somewhere with better prices that you could buy it? If she does or discounts her prices then I'd believe what she says about the stuff, if not...

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’ve just read through the thread again so if I missed this, I apologize! Is it possible that Florine—or even you or someone in your household—has been experiencing some kind of change that might have resulted in stress for her? I ask because Lily’s crystals were brought on by bringing a new cat into the household. After feeding her the RC s/o for a period of time (I can’t remember how long), I had her re-tested and they were gone. The vet said I could go back to her regular diet. I had the same situation many years ago with another cat when I adopted a new kitten. After treatment, we went back to her regular diet with no problems.

Cats can also react to stress in their humans by becoming stressed themselves. In 2008, I had a terminally ill parent and was driving 600 miles round trip almost weekly to be with him while still working full time. My kitty Max got so stressed out from my stress that he started having peeing issues. We got through it with him by diet change and by using Feliway diffusers.

In all of these cases, the diet change was temporary.

Just a few thoughts!

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay, so update again--

Is it wrong if I try a different wet food that isn't prescribed? I was thinking I could find a good brand of wet food and then have her urine tested in a bit to see if everything has cleared up.

Thanks!
My opinion differs from others who have already responded. Given her history of urinary issues, and the fact that these issues emerged while she was eating a wet raw diet, I worry that your cat might be genetically predisposed to crystals. Non-prescription urinary care diets aren't formulated to dissolve crystals. To my mind the only safe way to feed her a non-prescription diet is if she was periodically brought in for testing with the vet to ensure that the crystals haven't returned. If you already can't afford the urinary care diet then you probably can't afford the cost of periodic testing or the cost of surgery should she become blocked in the future. I say follow your vet's advice. Taking her off the urinary care diet is a big gamble that you don't want to lose.

CHIKITTIES

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So sorry about your kitty's condition :grouphug:

I don't have any experience, and also not knowledgeable on this topic at all, but as soon as I saw your post this blog post came into my mind. I am sorry if this is something not related, but since your kitty eats raw, and has issue, though you might want to read it

Tales from the Urinary Trenches: CatNutrition's School of Hard Knocks

Hope you will find good diet and kitty will never again have UTI issue :vibes::vibes::vibes:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a very interesting piece, CHIKITTIES, particularly given the help from Dr. Pierson, who's generally so against prescription foods. Like you said, the piece should be especially helpful to the OP since the cat had been eating a raw diet.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last edited: