Vet reccommend to let my cat stay in the clinic 2-3 days after spay. should i?

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's really not necessary, and as has been mentioned the stress of being there could cause more problems, especially if she's prone to being stressed in unfamiliar environments. I could see maybe leaving her there overnight just to ensure that any possible complications from the anesthesia and surgery can be addressed right away, but if it was me I'd definitely bring her home the next day.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
See, the vet receptionist just called to say everything went great, and now I feel a lot better! My last vet never called unless something came up (like if he noticed the cat needed dental work or whatever) but I'm really liking how this vet does it. So maybe ask them to give you a call when she's done, even if that's not their normal procedure, it really does help you to feel better.

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Allie my persian aka The White Tornado came home hours after her spay

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah i am afraid it's to drain money out of me, they said it's "safety procedure".
Our vet has them stay overnight after spaying surgery but not longer than that unless there is a special need.
Bargain with them. Tell them that you will let your cat stay overnight and that you will pick her up the next day.

I think that the vet is being cautious like any good professional should but, for a simple procedure like a spay, there isn't any need to be over-cautious.

An overnight stay will give the anesthetic a chance to wear off and the vet will have a chance to watch for complications, no matter how rare they may be. After that, I think it's better for the cat to recover at home.

Just promise to keep an eye on her and call the vet, right away, if there is anything out of the ordinary.

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think the vet will be home sleeping and nothing but the cage will be watching your cat, when my cat came home i was watching her a lot more then the vet would be. Sounds like the vet wants to milk your wallet for everything in it

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the vet will be home sleeping and nothing but the cage will be watching your cat, when my cat came home i was watching her a lot more then the vet would be. Sounds like the vet wants to milk your wallet for everything in it
True, BUT she will be caged. And if there's no cage at home who knows what she'll get up to at night or when the owner is at work. And I believe the OP is a first-time cat owner. So it could be best for her to stay, it depends what the OP is most comfortable with. I generally wouldn't recommend more than an overnight stay but occasionally it's the better choice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
True, BUT she will be caged. And if there's no cage at home who knows what she'll get up to at night or when the owner is at work. And I believe the OP is a first-time cat owner. So it could be best for her to stay, it depends what the OP is most comfortable with. I generally wouldn't recommend more than an overnight stay but occasionally it's the better choice.
Yeah, i don't have cage, and the best safe room i got is either bathroom (which is kinda damp and small ish or my room which she still can cause some trouble. She figured out how to open wardrobes.)

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
well she's in the vet now. she threw up just this morning because she have to fast maybe, but i hope it's nothing too serious. i have to leave fast because i have to go to work. the operation will beghin in -/+ an hour. it's getting harder to get her inside a carrier, i feel bad i had to scruff her neck. (i need carrier upgrade also because i bought smaller, cheap carrier for Sniper which was a small kitten)

i hope she's not too angry or scared of me when she got back lol. i am worried

Last edited:

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
all and all including hospitalization, that cost $120. i mean i live in a country where minimum wage is $300. i make more than that but it's certainly a decent amount lol.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
so yesterday the operation was suspended because she suddenly throw up in the morning. she stayed in the clinic overnight, but this morning she's fine and the spay will be done this noon today. i don't know if they are being overly cautious or what. i did order a bloodwork too and it came up good but they said they still want to wait another day.

i kinda miss her being at home haha

cookiedough03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I got my cat spayed, the vet said the same thing, leave her in the hospital for 3 days for antibiotics/fluids etc. It was standard practice there. But long story short. adopted my cat at 3.5 months. Her surgery was set when she is 8 months, also common practice in my area, but at 7 months she had some uterine infection. Vet said must be some foreign object got in when she was grooming her area. we suspect the clay litter. Anyway the emergency spay surgery went ahead in the evening. She stayed for a couple of days and was discharged on day 2 instead, because she was very stressed and refused to eat. The good thing about being at the vet was that she was monitored and did not try to lick or rupture stitches, but let me tell you when she got home with a donut cone, she managed to remove it several times no matter how we tied it. That was terrible because she did it the first time at night, and the vet,Idk why, he had told us to leave the IV plastic needle taped to her leg and come back in a few days. With the cone she could not remove it, but when she got rid of the cone, she cut through the tapes and snatched the needle, which was hooked to some tiny glass bottle. You can guess it was a disaster. We then made her a spay suit. The first day and night ok. The second day, I stepped away for 2 hours, came back home, she managed to slip through a spay suit (!!!). We made her a new one till vet appointment to remove stitches. bottom line is that being at the vet may be stressful for cats but can protect them from harming themselves :p

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The second day, I stepped away for 2 hours, came back home, she managed to slip through a spay suit (!!!). We made her a new one till vet appointment to remove stitches. bottom line is that being at the vet may be stressful for cats but can protect them from harming themselves
what does a spay suit looks like? also where do you put her so she doesn't jump around. the best place i can think of is my room but she still can cause some mischief because she figured out how to open the wardrobe and naps in there. she also jumps on my computer and table.

vet reccommend just to cage her during, but i don't want to spend money on something that's just gonna be used for a few days plus she hates being caged.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are they keeping her 3 days? After that, the really critical time is past and she can jump a little (like onto the table or into the wardrobe, etc.). You just don't want her leaping for a toy or jumping off a 6-foot bookcase, things like that.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Are they keeping her 3 days? After that, the really critical time is past and she can jump a little (like onto the table or into the wardrobe, etc.). You just don't want her leaping for a toy or jumping off a 6-foot bookcase, things like that.
Ah well, she should be safe in my room then. Thanks. Yeah, 3 days. After a week i take her back to open up the sutures, after that a week more rest. And she should be back in action, well maybe take it easy on the play a bit longer.

cookiedough03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
what does a spay suit looks like? also where do you put her so she doesn't jump around. the best place i can think of is my room but she still can cause some mischief because she figured out how to open the wardrobe and naps in there. she also jumps on my computer and table.

vet reccommend just to cage her during, but i don't want to spend money on something that's just gonna be used for a few days plus she hates being caged.
just a cat shirt I made from an old t-shirt. I googled t how to make one instead of buying it. Found something like this I put her in a spare bdroom at night which I use for guests or office. During the day she is free to roam around. I think with suit/shirt on, no need to use a cage.

Mslady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been doing cat rescue for about 15 years and have had a lot of cats spayed and in my experience there is no need to keep a young, healthy cat at the vet more than a few hours after surgery. As long as the kitty is fully awake from the anesthesia and doing well they should be able you go home. You definitely want to keep a very close eye on your cat the first day since they can still be a bit wobbly from the meds and can fall if they try to jump or climb but for the most part they are back to themselves by the evening or the next morning in rare cases.
I've never kept a cat in a cage or put a collar or clothes on them and it's never been needed. I just stay with the kitty the first few hours home to make sure they don't jump or climb. Many just find a cubbyhole and sleep. Kittens recover faster and are often playing, eating and acting normal within a few hours.
After the first day most are back to their old selves and I just keep an eye on them and the incision to make sure everything looks good. If I'm not at home I'll put the cat in the bedroom away from the other cats and high places. So far I've never had a problem.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
just a cat shirt I made from an old t-shirt. I googled t how to make one instead of buying it. Found something like this I put her in a spare bdroom at night which I use for guests or office. During the day she is free to roam around. I think with suit/shirt on, no need to use a cage.
that is brilliant. i dunno if i can make it, i am not crafty at all lol.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just to add if it's a normal flank spay I'd be surprised if you had any issues. It does though get a bit more important to keep them quiet and not leaping around if it's an abdominal / midline incision.... Ask me how I know 🙄🙄 lol

My girl Feora had to have a second spay op last October (sigh). She got out of the surgical suit they put her in before I got her home (we live literally 500 yds from the vet).

As it was a midline surgery the second time round, she was on 7 days cage rest. Long story short, she escaped 2 days in, galloped around the house like a small furry projectile... And ended up with massive swelling and a hernia and an extra 7 days caged. So back in June she ended up having a third (and hopefully final) surgery to repair the hernia. Typically for Feora she reacted to the internal sutures, so 2.5 weeks cage rest instead of 7 days!!

She's fine now though. Pickle butt!! 😁😁

Last edited: