Vet Gave Us Back The Wrong Cat

loveskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my stray we rescued was I'll and we took it to petsmart. a week later they gave UA a cat that wasn't a mat h. she immediately ran away and only came back in the middle of the night for food.
then I compared pictures. its not my cat!! the markings are very similar butn other spots are in the wrong place.

my baby is gone!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Petsmart doesn't take in cats; they partner with rescues and let them use the store. Find out which rescue was using the store at that time and give them a call.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

loveskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
no it was the animal hospital adjacent. West Covina off Azusa Ave (Southern California_}
they say the mgr isn't in until Monday
the markings on back and side don't match and she gained 15 lbs in one week_?

loveskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Petsmart doesn't take in cats; they partner with rescues and let them use the store. Find out which rescue was using the store at that time and give them a call.
we took the cat in because she was I'll.

loveskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm terrified they gave her to a shelter or sold her

crying.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
To give you back a cat that is 15lb larger is absurd! Did you see her before you brought her home?
Saying that the manager is not available is also absurd. This is an emergency and I'm absolutely astounded that they are putting you off until Monday. It is a hospital and people are there. I think I'd be pounding on their door if they don't give you answers immediately.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry for the pain, anger and frustration you must be feeling....I can't begin to imagine getting home and realizing I didn't have my own cat! As mani mani noted - to not realize that they were giving you back a cat that's 15 pounds bigger than the one you brought in is bizarre (I'm guessing you didn't get a good look at her until you got her back home - - -15 pounds added to any cat is huge!).

Nationally, the veterinarian division of PetSmart is Banfield Pet Hospital. Most are open on Sunday, and I checked online and the one you mentioned is open on Sunday from 8:30 am - 5:00 pm. I'd be in there at 8:30, saying I need to speak to someone immediately who can help me figure out what's going on. Because the other side of this is that obviously if you got a cat that wasn't yours - - someone ELSE also got a cat that wasn't theirs (your cat!)!!! So there should be another very upset patient out there!

To put your mind at ease just a bit - - them selling her would have been virtually impossible as neither Banfield nor PetSmart sells cats or dogs. As W Willowy noted - - they partner with rescues (and usually just one or two at most) and someone from the PetSmart portion of the store should absolutely be able to tell you exactly which rescue was in there the week your girl was there. Once you find out which rescue it was, I'd contact them immediately (armed with photos). Rescues generally keep very good records of who is at a place like PetSmart, so they should know which cats they had there that week, and if any were adopted.

I'd definitely go back in Sunday am to Banfield and speak with someone there AND with someone from that PetSmart (although they probably won't have any idea what would have happened - it never hurts to ask!). It wouldn't have to be a manager - - - anyone at Banfield should be able to look at your kitty's records!

Keep us posted - - - I hope you find her!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet clinic is independent too, so don't harass the poor Petsmart employees. Call the vet clinic directly. Since you said "manager" instead of "vet" I think you might be calling the store by accident.

The most likely scenario is that they mixed your cat up with a similar looking cat. In which case the other owner is probably just as bewildered as you are! Hopefully it all gets straightened out.

loveskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am in nursing home. other person took cat home. she ran away and hides but comes middle night to eat. Below is my baby and splithy replacement cat.
Ii only hope they didn't out her to a shelter.
This cat is so special this torture for me.
IMG_201810280_095946.jpg
IMG_201810280_095946.jpg
1538878165667_FullSizeRender.jpg

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Why would they send her to a shelter? They must realise they have made a mistake and would simply not do that.
A cat that has been taken to a vet will have corresponding paperwork. They will presume your cat belongs to the person who owns the cat you now have.
I am in Australia, or I would call the vet myself as this is a very odd situation.

loveskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
if the other cat was in the shelter program then they mixed the cats up. Mine went in the shelter inbox unclaimed and the random one put in the cage

loveskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just spoke to the Banfield animal hospitalnin West Covina can. I asked them what happened when they gave back the wrong cat.
I asked what they did with the extra carts I unaccounted for. I said what dobyou dobwhen youve goven the wrong cat back_, what do you do with the other cats. Do they send them to the neatest shelter to get euthanized?

She ( Natalie) said yeah pretty much.

Attachments

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear what happened loveskitty loveskitty

she ran away and hides but comes middle night to eat.
Which cat are you talking about here? Do you mean the cat that you were given by mistake ran away but comes back to eat? Or was your cat given to someone else and ran away from them?

Do you have anyone who can go to the Banfield Hospital and speak to them face to face? Have Banfield staff contacted the shelter to let them know there was a mix-up?

If the cat you were given by mistake has run away you need to get someone to come and trap her and keep her indoors. It's not safe for her to be running around outside like that.

loveskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
the cat brought back rannext door to hide in a school and food is gone by morning
I asked the person ehy they didn't think it IDD she didtt come and play with him and eat from him like before.
The person I asked to deal with has nor answered my emails and banfield animal hospital will not answer my question without their phone number.

the only story that does come thru is that shebis gone.
Allegedly the plump cat is a his house. Hr said he took the original cat hone and then he took her to the petsmart the day after.
I highly doubt that new cat will allow herself to be caught but she hangs out in his neighbors yard.
I want my pretty funny smart top black.jpg cat!

loveskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
update
we went to petdmart today with our pictures. They agreed it wasntvthr same cat but there was nothing they could do.
Zi start sobbing every time I think of how scared and beyrayed my cat was and what happened to her I will never know.
This cat was so cute and funny and beautiful and Pet Dumb just switched a similar cat in and crossed their fingers going we wouldn't notice.
They should change their name to Pet Dumb.
I miss my cat and feel like I let her down. Is she homeless, wandering, or euthanized?

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
loveskitty loveskitty , when you say 'Petsmart' you mean the veterinary practice in or near that business? It could be problematic to blame the wrong people for this.
I truly cannot understand how a veterinary clinic could make such a terrible mistake and be unconcerned. Who took you to the vet? Can they advocate for you?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
We went to petsmart today with our pictures. They agreed it wasn't the same cat but there was nothing they could do
They must have records of what happened to your cat. I'm sure they wouldn't have just put a cat outside, so if she hasn't been PTS she must be in a shelter or have been re-homed.

What did they say about the cat you were given by mistake? Have they asked for you to bring her back in? If she's coming to the same spot to eat every day it would be easy enough to catch her using a humane trap. If the vet admits that they made a mistake you should ask them to take responsibility for catching the cat you were given.

Do you have anyone who will go there and speak to them on your behalf?

loveskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my heart is broken they will not take response so ility spoke to two people there today the manager was out. They agree from the pictures that they are different but say there is noting they can do.