Vet Can’t Find Anything Wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hannah518

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Definitely get an ultrasound and X-ray to rule out any nodules. I went through this with my cat this past winter. Iago was a big boy and acted completely normal for months.

Gradually started to lose weight, blood work always normal, lost 1lb In a month with no change to diet, checked again The next month and another pound was lost. I started to get him to eat more when I switched his diet but I noticed his appetite kept getting smaller.

So I got an ultra sound and unfortunately with my kitty he did have cancer that could not be operated on. He also had bloody stool that was soft and would experience constipation and diarrhea. Maybe that was from all the change in diet but his intestinal wall had thickened.

I hope this is not the case with your baby and I don’t want to scare you because there could be many causes. But I think ultra sound is the next step! At least you could get a piece of mind if it’s clear.

It also could just be inflammation that could be altered with diet as well if he has pancreatitis.

good luck! Keep us posted! I hope everything is okay with your bb! ❤

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Here’s a picture of my boy that I just took today. His name is Sneaky Pete. Thank you guys. Just having someone to talk to helps.
What a pretty boy! Keep us updated <3

Lizziec

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got an appt for Tuesday. With the Covid-19 restrictions in place, my vet (plus many others) is not allowing us to go inside. The vet tech comes out, gets the pet, when it’s our turn we communicate by video call or phone if the person doesn’t have a form of video calling I don’t like it but I understand. This only for scheduled visits. I don’t know what they’re doing about other situations.

So here is what his feces looks like. It’s only about an inch long. The blood was more mucus like when it first started, now it’s just blood, no more mucus.
I am having almost the same exact issue with my 6 year old cat leela. It start about 1.5 months ago they figured she had a bug or it was stress from our new kitten (shes a bit sensitive) but shes eating normal playing drinking and cuddly. The vet gave her a probiotic and antibiotic and shes had soft stools since but I noticed blood in her stool again this weekend and it looks exactly like your cats. Next we are going to take a sample in but we are puzzled what is going on and I am worried sick.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nikups

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just picked Petey up. The vet kept him all day yesterday and last night. X-ray and ultrasound came back fine. No tumors, no obstructions, the colon has feces in it but it’s not megacolon. The vet said the bleeding is from his lower rectum from straining. He was diagnosed with Colitis. I was given Meds for him to take orally 2x a day for 2 weeks plus a med that I have to rub inside the top of his ear. The vet said it will help him go to the bathroom. He had his first dose at the vet. I just dropped him off to my mom and I had to go back to work. I’ll update on the name of the meds when I get home this evening.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am glad you have an answer. That's always helpful, I actually almost mentioned colitis but I wasn't sure if it actually fit or was just on my mind. I am actually picking up my moms cat after he spent a week hospitalized for ulcerative colitis. We got lucky that they did an ultrasound for another suspected cause and it showed the colitis.

Hoping the meds help and he is feeling better soon.

nikups

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the kind words and help from everyone. The meds are metronidazole, an antibiotic and mirataz, to help with undesired weight loss since he did lose 10 more ounces. Something is working though because he went to litter box today, 4 times. It was a massive improvement too. Not as big as it usually is for him but big enough to be considered normal. NO BLOOD !! I’ve never been excited about cat poop before but I guess there’s a first time for everything. Lol

Hannah518

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh I remember when poop ruled my life this past winter. The feeling of seeing normal poop is something to celebrate indeed. Congrats!

nikups

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I’m posting an update here because I feel like you guys understand. I don’t have to many cat people in my life that understand just how hard this is.

Petey has crossed over the Rainbow Bridge. He just was too sick. The last two weeks he just deteriorated to a point where nothing was helping him. After several more visits, tests and conversations with my vet, it seemed what was best for him was to let him go. His poor body wasn’t absorbing nutrients and there was no certain answer as to why. The last few days he completely stopped eating, drinking or using the bathroom. He just slept and barely moved. His liver and kidneys began to shut down. He was suffering. I had almost 15 wonderful years with my boy. I try to take comfort in that but it’s not working. I miss him so much. My other 2 cats are also grieving. Thank you guys for all your help. I won’t forget it.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
N nikups we are all so very sorry for your loss. :rbheart:
Many members start a Crossing the Bridge thread in memory of their friend. Perhaps you may like to do this for Petey?

We lock threads when a cat has passed, out of respect.

RIP Petey
:greenpaw: . :rbheart:. :bluepaw:

Status
Not open for further replies.