Vet Bills

Running Matches

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Over a month ago I got a kitten she’s currently 14 weeks old now and I’ve been saving up money to take her to the vet. But I find it expensive and I just want to know if there’re cheap vet clinics out there. Some people tell me that if I can’t keep up with vetinary care then I should just give her away but I can’t she's apart of my family. I also got her from and friend of mine and my cat and her siblings were just in a horrible place and I just wanted to take her out of there as fast as I could.

sooser

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, vet bills are ridiculous. I'm not sure where you're located, but where I live there is a thing where you can buy into a pet insurance plan and put money into there monthly to help take care of vet bills. Likewise you may have some luck getting some financial help for certain things (like fixing animals) through animal care societies in your area. There's no such thing as a cheap vet though.

sam12

Sam
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey! I get what you mean about the expense of best I'm actually saving up to get my 3 month old kitten microchipped and neutered in 3 months (suggested age for cats to be put under anaesthesia is 6 months I think) and itss soooo expensive.
It depends on you location really if their are any cheaper vet clinics but in my experience their still pricey (I live in Australia)
I suggest you get pet insurance and get covered for routine care, it will help out your wallet alot and keep your baby happy :)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always look for Clinic in the name, they tend to be a little cheaper here in NY. Your first vet visit will probably be around $200 for spay, vaccinations, and de-wormer. But after that, if you can get the 3-year Purevax rabies & distemper vaccines, then you would only have to do those every 3 years. That would just leave monthy flea treatment like Frontline and de-worming every 3 to 6 months. The flea stuff seems to go on sale in the summer, so I stock up then.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In Phoenix we had spay/neuter clinics that would do vaccinations and deworming there, vs doing anything at the vet. Just to spay the cat alone at the vet was almost $250, and at the clinic it's like $65 plus pain management. Also the vaccinations at the vet were about $50 a piece, and you can get the entire suite of four shots at the clinic for $95. Another option is definitely see what's offered at your local Humane Society. They were competitively priced, slightly higher than the clinic, but more affordable than the vet. There was also a mobile shot clinic that would do vaccinations and deworming at different locations in the valley throughout each month. Another option would be Vetco - the mobile shots clinic that makes rounds to Petco on Sundays.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many cities and towns have low cost vet clinics. You can search for any in your area with a Google search. Your local SPCA web site may have info as well on vet care and low cost spay/ neuter for those with limited financial means.

Some vet hospital chains offer a free first exam but that's all it is: a general physical exam to listen to the heart and lungs, abdominal palpation, look in the eyes and ears, etc. Vaccinations, deworming, and other things a pet may need costs extra.

Pet insurance is something that can be helpful for future medical care. There are many threads here on TCS on recommened companies.