Vet appointment questions!

Zylalove18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don’t know if this is the correct forum for my question, if not please let me know. This is a two question post!
Next week my cat has a appointment to get her rabies shot and flea meds at a low cost clinic. I’m excited I discovered this vet because my old vet was expensive! This one has no office fee. Anyway, I’m wondering if they will want to test my cat for heart worms before giving me flea medicine. I’m on a very tight budget..even though they are low cost I’m still being careful. My question is, is it absolutely necessary to test? I know it’s possible for indoor cats to get heart worm but I’d like to schedule that for another time if I’m allowed.

second question- can the vet administer the flea medicine? I know how to do it but honestly I’m so nervous because many years ago my mother made me put dog flea medicine on our cat and she had seizures and nearly died. I’m honestly so scared I’ll screw up! I know I may sound ridiculous. An adult being scared of a few seconds of applying flea meds! I’m most likely going to do it myself but boy I’m nervous 😬 lol thanks for reading if you got this far!

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The location you are going may be different but when I've done a low cost clinic for flea medicine they dosed for me. It was attached to a no kill shelter and I think they used a generic flea medicine that they get in bulk. They weighed my cat and measured a dose out of a large container before applying it. They also didn't test for heartworm, it was just the medication.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If by chance the clinic would suggest a heartworm test first, just ask for a flea treatment that doesn't cover heartworm protection. There are a number of them out there that don't. Then, if you want to switch to one that does later, you can do that when you have the funds for the heartworm test. Since your cat is indoor only, and I presume a solitary cat, the chance of heartworm is greatly reduced.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Zylalove18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The location you are going may be different but when I've done a low cost clinic for flea medicine they dosed for me. It was attached to a no kill shelter and I think they used a generic flea medicine that they get in bulk. They weighed my cat and measured a dose out of a large container before applying it. They also didn't test for heartworm, it was just the medication.
Maybe this clinic is similar! When I scheduled the appointment they asked me her weight and I just guessed it but I’m sure they’d weigh her regardless. Thank you for responding and btw snowshoes are the best❤😍

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Zylalove18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If by chance the clinic would suggest a heartworm test first, just ask for a flea treatment that doesn't cover heartworm protection. There are a number of them out there that don't. Then, if you want to switch to one that does later, you can do that when you have the funds for the heartworm test. Since your cat is indoor only, and I presume a solitary cat, the chance of heartworm is greatly reduced.
Yes she’s indoor and the only pet I have. I will ask for another medicine if they suggest the test, thank you. Last time I took Zyla to the vet was when I adopted her last year and they never asked me about flea meds and I was stupid enough to think indoor cats don’t get fleas lol. Oh how wrong I was😅

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
From Heartworm In Cats: An Owner’s Guide – TheCatSite Articles
You may have heard that heartworm prevention medication can be harmful – even lethal – if the animal is already a host to the worm. Dr. Miller explains that this is true for dogs, but not necessarily for cats:

Most heartworm preventatives for cats can be given without testing and do not pose a risk because cats only get microfilaria in extremely rare cases, so they are different from dogs in this respect as well. It is the massive death of microfilaria that causes the reaction to preventatives that is seen in infected dogs.