Very Young And Pregnant: Risk Of Spaying?

Masha1983

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!
One of my kittens, who is barely 6 months old, is showing signs of pregnancy. Her nipples are all pink and out there and I noticed since 2 days ago that her belly is growing bigger by the hour. Needless to say, she's eating way more than before and has gone from a jumping kitten into a silent cuddly creature - almost overnight!
She is absolutely tiny, as I said, less than 6 months old and barely weighs about 2kg (or did, last I checked!). Also, she never showed any signs of going into heat (or I'd have spayed her right away!), but I can tell that she is definitely pregnant.
Now, I am determined to find a way for her not to go through labour, as I have seen it with my small-built yet much older cats how difficult it can be with the complications of giving birth, all the horrors of hypocalcemia and other issues that will threaten her health, possibly for a lifetime.
But since her belly is already showing, I am assuming she must be more than a month into pregnancy, and I need to know if spaying her at this time will be riskier than letting her have the kittens.
I know the procedure will be more complicated than normal spaying, but I never had a queen spayed this far into pregnancy, so I really need to weigh and see which decision I should make. Will spaying her at this time be riskier than letting her have the kittens, considering that she is REALLY young and small which makes having the kittens an awful decision?
As always, will appreciate your help and support. :rbheart:
Masha

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that's a question for your vet, who can examine her and try to figure out what's best in her individual situation.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The surgery is no really big deal for an experienced vet.
Best is to find a vet cooperating with shelters whom has much experience in spaying and even spaying of high pregs.
If you have such a vet its no extra dangers. Experience and skill matters.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that an experienced vet should not have a problem, and I would move ahead as quickly as possible.

Cats can have silent heats. Do you have other cats who need to be fixed? Perhaps the vet will work out a deal with you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Masha1983

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree that an experienced vet should not have a problem, and I would move ahead as quickly as possible.

Cats can have silent heats. Do you have other cats who need to be fixed? Perhaps the vet will work out a deal with you.
Sorry Talkingpeanut, I just saw this. No, all my other cats are either too young or already fixed.

Quick update on her health: I took her to the vet the next day and he confirmed the pregnancy, fixed an appointment for the surgery for the next morning and all went fine. Now her stitches are already off and she is back to being a playful kitten. :)

Thank you all for your kind help and support.

Love,
Masha

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear all went well!

Kittens can be fixed as early as 2 months, and females can get pregnant as early as 4 months. Just something to keep in mind as you discuss timeline with your vet.