Very Weird!

malkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat gave birth to 3 kitten on July 31 and that makes them 11 days now. The odd thing is, all but 1 of them had their eyes open at 3 days old! The third one (which was the first born) just now started opening his eyes. Another odd thing that I have noticed is that they are ALL getting teeth! That's strange right? They aren't supposed to be developing that fast right? Do I have some weird bionic kitten or something???

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, its rather unusual, but cats arent automatos, they are individuals. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

malkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I shouldn't be freaking out that my babies at 11 days old have teeth coming in and their eyes are open?

These are the babies in question.

Last edited:

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kittens can be conceived at different times in the breeding cycle. Did you know that? Sometimes heat can last as long as 5-7 days after first breeding (it is the act of breeding that makes the cat ovulate; unbred cats can stay in heat up to two weeks!) This is why a cat could have a litter of kittens who have several fathers among them. Nature usually times labor and delivery at a time when ALL kittens are viable, so some of the kittens may be 5-7 days older than the last ones conceived. What some people consider a "runt" may actually be one of the last conceived kittens, perfectly healthy but smaller than the others. So when eyes open, when teeth pop through the gums, these have to do more with the time of conception than the time of birth. It would make sense that your first born was the last conceived (last in, first out), and in order for him/her to be mature enough to survive, labor didn't start until he was ready. His timing (eyes opening, teeth coming in etc.) will probably follow the "normal" schedule for a kitten and the others may be 5-7 days ahead of him.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
malkie malkie

Do you plan to spay the mom after this litter weans?

Do you need help locating a low-cost spay clinic in your area?

malkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
talkingpeanut talkingpeanut Yes. The mother is the same mother that had two babies earlier in this year.

red top rescue red top rescue Actually no I didn't know they could be conceived at different times in the cycle. Wow. I honestly didn't know much of that. So they might be right on their own timing frame then. No need to worry about something being up with them. I appreciate the help!

Sarthur2 Sarthur2 Yes. I would love to have her fixed because I don't think I want her having anymore babies. I welcome the information please.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What is your city and state and I will find a clinic for you! :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my, there is very little available in west Tennessee. You may need to go to Memphis, which is about an hour and a half from you:

Spay Tennessee Find a Service Shelby County

Here is the website that lists all the counties, if you want to look around:

Spay Tennessee Find a Spay/Neuter Service

There are private vets in your county, but I don't see any low-cost clinics.

Here's an article from last summer in the Jackson Sun that discusses the lack of low-cost vet services in west TN.

Experts: West TN needs low-cost spay, neuter for pets

It may be worth your while to go to another county.

malkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 Yea unfortunately there's just not much available where I live. The drive to Memphis would be too costly. My town sucks!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 Yea unfortunately there's just not much available where I live. The drive to Memphis would be too costly. My town sucks!
That is unfortunate. Can you reach out to nearby vets about payment plans? It is worth saving for.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Perhaps you could arrange the trip with anothers cat owners? You all in this town have the sAme problem.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
At Spay Memphis, the spay is only $55. You would just hang out in town until time to pick her up. They take appointments online.

Fix Your Pet – SPAY Memphis

Otherwise, your alternative is to ask a local vet about cost, possible discounts, and payment plans, and start saving money.

You can also use the link to search other nearby counties.

In the meantime, do not let her outside under any circumstances, even when in heat. You may have to close her in a room during her heat cycle.

She does not need to have another litter. It's just not healthy.

malkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know. I don't plan on letting her. This is her second litter ever and even though these seem to be doing a lot better than the previous two, I just don't wan her having any more.

malkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't have a clue yet. She's still nursing her babies.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You might want to look into it now since your low-cost options are out of town. She'll be back in heat before you know it.

malkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Two of her kittens have died. One is left. A member of her cat family never had any liters to survive,