Very vocal cat before pooping

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Giada always announces she's going to poop. A few minutes before stepping in her covered litter box she sits a couple of feet from it, and start meowing out loud a few times. Then she steps in, starts digging like a mad, then she covers her products diligently and all is fine again.
Now we know that, and we don't worry anymore, but at first we thought she was in difficulty or in discomfort over something (thirsty, hungry, lost toy, feeling alone, etc?).
Why does she do that? Does she want to know she's going to "take possess" of the tray? Her poop is fine, and I'm sure she's not struggling to poop.

Do your cats do the same?

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat used to meow, start running around and meowing and the do his business. You may want to check with your vet.

Do you see your cat straining?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat used to meow, start running around and meowing and the do his business.
This is what my former cat used to do. She was suffering from sort of a chronic constipation and she would run up and down the house in order to "wake up" her bowels.

You may want to check with your vet. Do you see your cat straining?
No, it seems she just do her business smoothly. She always did this, and I've had her for over a year and a half now. It's kind of funny, we hear her meowing a few times, then silence and then we hear her digging.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My boy do that sometimes. Loud meows from him as he look for place to dig when he's in the litterbox and as soon as he starts digging, the meowing stop and he'll begins to poo.

Maybe they are saying that they are very urgent and need to poo quickly :lol:

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Many kittens will announce their use of the litterbox but most outgrow it. I have always suspected it is a call out to their mom who helped them poop when they were babies. I guess yours didn’t outgrow it but just a harmless quirk unless she actually has pooping issues.

Last edited:

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
graycie does that all the time when we first got her i used to give her treats as a reward for finding and using her litter box we didnt introduce her properly using a smaller safe room etc. just gave her free run of the apartment right away so she had one pee mishap now its more like a hey clean up crew(me) time to get busy do your job:lol:

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat also occasionally meows before using the litter box -- I take it as an "I'm in here, don't come in!" If she poops, there's a 75% chance she'll zoomie her way into the living room. If she pees, there's a 50% chance she'll hunt a sock or t-shirt to the living room meowing loudly (which I take as a gift in exchange for immediately cleaning her box).

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many kittens will announce their use of the litterbox but most outgrow it. I have always suspected it is a call out to their mom who helped them poop when they were babies. I guess yours didn’t outgrow it but just a harmless quirk unless she actually has pooping issues.
She doesn't seem to have issues, apart from when she had parasites when she was much younger and she needed to be treated for them.
The possibility she's still calling her mom to help her in the matter is interesting!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two that do this and Patches is 4 he's always told us before and after. I think Bandit just copied him so now I have two that I have to tell 'we'll go then no need to tell me" I mean how else would I know that the clean up crew is needed. ;)
Well, a few months later the issue is still on, but now it seems that the other cat, Freya, is copying the older one.
So now we have two cats that notify us about their upcoming "businesses"... :lol: