Very thin Persian kitten

cat com

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hello i have a 6 week old show quality white Persian kitten his vet says to feed him cerelac rice and chicken flavored and milk please tell me if there's anything else  i can feed him

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

hello i have a 6 week old show quality white Persian kitten his vet says to feed him cerelac rice and chicken flavored and milk please tell me if there's anything else  i can feed him
Feed your kitten commercial kitten or cat food. Rice and milk and chicken is not a complete nutritious diet for a growing kitten. Why did your vet suggest feeding this? Does your kitten currently have a health issue?

Do you have pet store or a supermarket nearby where you can get cat food? Fancy Feast Classic (Gourmet) is available nearly everywhere and there is a canned kitten formula. Dry kitten food can be fed as well.

If you can't get commercial cat food where you live (are you outside the US?), home cooked cat food or raw food are options.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat com

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hello i have a 6 week old Persian kitten and i can feel his ribs spines and hip bones should i be worried this is my first cat and i need advice.

cat com

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i feed him whiskas chicken jelly its been four hours and he still hasnt pooped it out

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
cat com cat com

Your kitten will fill out more as he grows, but he may need to eat more, especially if he is no longer with his mom.

He needs lots of kitten chow and the classic or pate wet food. I prefer Fancy Feast.

Kittens love to drink kitten formula, called KMR, in a dish. It has excellent vitamins and minerals in it for growing kittens! He might like a dish of that a day, and you can pour it over his kitten chow too! The powder in the can is best, because you mix up only as much as you need. It's at pet stores and Walmart.

And since he is only six weeks old, he needs to eat wet food meals about 4 to 6 times a day, because he is growing fast. And leave kitten chow and water down for him at all times.

Welcome to the forum! We're here to answer all your questions! :)

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you don't need to worry.  We took in a foster, she was six months and thin. Within a month she had put on a couple of pounds and is still growing.  the kitten just needs lots of food and love and play.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I offer the same advice as LTS3 LTS3 , with a few extra tips as well.

I cannot imagine a vet recommending cow's milk for a kitten! Cats cannot digest the lactose, and can have a belly ache and diarrhea from it. I spoke about kitten formula on the other post, as well as the need for wet food.

If your kitten doesn't poop after every single meal it's not a problem.

You'll see your cat gain weight once he begins eating wet food several times a day in addition to kitten chow and formula.

cat com cat com

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

hello i have a 6 week old Persian kitten and i can feel his ribs spines and hip bones should i be worried this is my first cat and i need advice.
As an alternative to this kitten formula, you can use goat milk, its almost as good and feels perhaps more natural in his age.

Has the kitten been dewormed?  Twice even?

cat com

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yeah i know but now its been a day he`s peed like 7 times since then and pooped but i feel air in his belly

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Rub his belly gently with your fingers for a few minutes to see if that helps things along. It's gas, or bloat. We also recommend a couple of drops of baby simethicone for gas relief. It's found in the infant section of a pharmacy. Kittens can experience gas when adjusting to a new diet. :)

cat com

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thnx