Very small newborn kitten not gaining weight

lucindakittykat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Long story short I was away on holidays for 6 weeks and had a friend watch my cat who thought she was just getting fat so she wasn't on the right diet for a pregnant kitty.
Not even 24 hours since I got home from holidays Lucy started giving birth to four kittens. One kitten was 98g, another 84g but there were two who were both only 54g. I have been going into her nest in the cupboard every two hours to make sure all of the kittens are feeding and with a bit of my assistance they are, for about 20 minutes per session. They are now nearly 24 hours old and three have put on plenty of weight even one of the smallest ones has put on 12grams since birth. However the other little one hasn't put on any weight, he also hasn't lost any weight, he has remained at 54g
I am positive that he has been feeding but read that maybe he is a weak suckler. I have bought some formula and a feeding syringe but my question is should I continue to try and get the little one onto the nipple or should I start it on formula immediately?
Thanks in advance to anybody who can offer some advice!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Begin supplementing with formula immediately. The kitten is clearly not getting enough milk to gain weight.

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is normal for a kitten to lose weight in the first 24 hours, just like a human baby. Around 10% loss is seen, but after the first day, the weight gain should really start. It's good to look at the bellies. Kittens that feed (even when losing weight in the first 24 hours) will have an obvious round filled belly. If the belly is round and the kitten starts gaining weight after 24 hours, it isn't really something to worry about.

However, as the kitten is just 54 grams, which is incredibly little, I would suggest helping feeding a few times a day. This doesn't need to be full feedings as it is best for him/her to drink from mom (specially for the defence system - but also suckle reflex), but just a little so it starts to gain weight and be a big kitten soon. For a kitten this small, 6 grams gain a day (after the first 24 hours) would be perfect. As soon as he/she gains properly, try not to feed if it's not needed. Only interfere if it's really needed to make sure the kitten survives and keeps up with brothers/sisters.

Another good thing would be, instead of feeding with a bottle, place the kitten on the nipple multiple times a day. If he/she drinks well, this will help weight gain too and it's much better than substitute milk. It can be that the brothers/sisters push him/her aside when he/she is trying to drink and thus will drink less. By placing him on the nipple multiple times a day, specially if the rest is asleep, will help to get him up to good strenght and drink a bit more.

(I am not a fan of feeding if it's not needed)

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Long story short I was away on holidays for 6 weeks and had a friend watch my cat who thought she was just getting fat so she wasn't on the right diet for a pregnant kitty.
Not even 24 hours since I got home from holidays Lucy started giving birth to four kittens. One kitten was 98g, another 84g but there were two who were both only 54g. I have been going into her nest in the cupboard every two hours to make sure all of the kittens are feeding and with a bit of my assistance they are, for about 20 minutes per session. They are now nearly 24 hours old and three have put on plenty of weight even one of the smallest ones has put on 12grams since birth. However the other little one hasn't put on any weight, he also hasn't lost any weight, he has remained at 54g
I am positive that he has been feeding but read that maybe he is a weak suckler. I have bought some formula and a feeding syringe but my question is should I continue to try and get the little one onto the nipple or should I start it on formula immediately?
How is it going?  I will read now and write.

Can you get raw goats milk?   If not what kmr do you have?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You do both.  Let the little one suckle when the others are asleep, so he wont need to fight them.

Being so small, the margins are very thin, so do supplement (will prob be with a feeding syringe: tummy down, head up, may be raised up somewhat.  Dropwise in the corner of the mouth, so it manages to swallow properly.   You may need to hold it with a towel, or even wrap it up.  After several tries will both you and he get the catch).

The kitten will anyway suckle from momma, because its nice.  So if it DOES suckle from momma at all, it will anyways get some of her precious milk.

Raw goats milk is a nice alternative if there is no momma, or the kitten doesnt manage to suckle.  Its too coming from an alive momma, and there are some useful antibodies and enzymes, which are absent in processed milk.  But if you cant get raw goats milk, or if its too pricey, cartooned full fat is OK to use, its also cheaper than  most brands of kmr.   But most brands of kmr are good enough.

None is as good as milk from a healthy momma, but sometimes we dont have much choice.

You control the weigh every 12 hours here as its critical.  If he gains minimum 6g a day, its ok, 10+g is good.   If he gains less, you give him even more, perhaps every hour...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucindakittykat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your help. I noticed little kittens weight started to increase yesterday so I didn't speak to a vet but spoke to a vet nurse who said I could probably wait another day before giving the kitten formula, so I did. I went in every hour or so and all the majority of time all of the kittens were already latched in drinking so I didn't interfere too much. The kittens are nearly 48 hours old and the little one has put on 12 grams since birth now (so now 66 grams) The little one is looking good and it's fur has grown out a little more as well.
The nurse I spoke to said that if this happened I should be able to just continue to do as I have been doing without interfering or supplementing the kitten unless I see the kittens weight start to go backwards. You are all really helpful though and I appreciate your responses. Do you also think I should continue to monitor all of the kittens and their weights without interfering?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you all for your help. I noticed little kittens weight started to increase yesterday so I didn't speak to a vet but spoke to a vet nurse who said I could probably wait another day before giving the kitten formula, so I did. I went in every hour or so and all the majority of time all of the kittens were already latched in drinking so I didn't interfere too much. The kittens are nearly 48 hours old and the little one has put on 12 grams since birth now (so now 66 grams) The little one is looking good and it's fur has grown out a little more as well.
The nurse I spoke to said that if this happened I should be able to just continue to do as I have been doing without interfering or supplementing the kitten unless I see the kittens weight start to go backwards. You are all really helpful though and I appreciate your responses. Do you also think I should continue to monitor all of the kittens and their weights without interfering?
Yes, its wise to monitor them all.  Having Control on the exact weight every 24  hours is the easiest way to notice if something is faulty.

A very experienced rescuer doenst need to weigh them - they see by the Eyes and by touch.  But weighthing them regularly is essential for the less experienced.  so its why almost all breeders and most rescuers do it - even the resucers of shy semi-ferales.

Kittens in a critical situation needs sometimes to be weighted even every 12 hours,. so you notice the Changes even quicker.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucindakittykat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Hi I just wanted to give an update in case anybody ever needs this thread one day. Little kit didn't gain weight for 2 days and then slowly she started to gain weight probably 5-8 grams a day. I didn't end up using any Kmr. The kittens are now a bit over 3 weeks old and all 4 are doing really well. As you can see there is still a major size difference between them but they all appear to be healthy and are moving around on their feet a lot more.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's a big size difference! Glad all are gaining! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Rick and Sarah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the info everyone. We were in the exact same boat. 3 normal sized ones, and one at 1.8 oz birth weight ( mid 50s grams). The size pic difference looks exactly like our babies too. The little one is 2 weeks and about 160 grams.