Very Small lump turned into Large Gaping hole in cats Back??

Josh508

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I was hopping someone could help me with our out door cat Named "Blacky". He was once a feral cat that we would see from time to time in our yard. Eventually VERY slowly, we earned his trust.. Once we were able to pet him...We notest a small lump on his back.. about an 1/4''. Slowly it grew over the past 4 years to the size of a large marble Then about a year ago it changed to a large gaping hole that never heals? Hes always licking it. We try putting Neosporin on, But it doesn't seem to help.

Attachments

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The cat had a boil and it finally burst. A boil is a pocket of infection that’s bigger under the skin than what it looks like on the surface.

You to get your cat to the vet right away! The wounds needs to be professionally treated before it gets worse. It could quickly turn life threatening.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A trip to the vet is definitely needed. He'll probably need antibiotics for that and a cone to stop him licking it. It does sound like a boil or cyst that has burst, he needs it checked by the vet ASAP.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Josh508

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello , thank you for the replies. I was hoping there was something I could do at home for him. we can't take him to the vet because he's still a outdoor wildcat that lives in the woods..he would freak out if we tried putting him in a cat carrier. And also don't have the Money to pay for him going to the vet... Is there some sort of spray to keep it from getting infected?. His left ear is cut so I think he was neutered at some point in his life.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sometimes, local pet rescues might suggest some topical solutions for you to use on a feral cat. There might be neighbors, or others in your area, that deal with ferals that might give you some ideas of things they have used for similar situations. Search online for local groups to see if you can find any to talk to and expect to call around to multiple people before finding one who can or is willing to give you some advice.

I will try to reach out to some of the members who deal with ferals and see if they can provide any suggestions. Jcatbird Jcatbird , tabbytom tabbytom , Meowmee Meowmee , fionasmom fionasmom , jefferd18 jefferd18 , CatladyJan CatladyJan , gilmargl gilmargl .

As long as this has gone on, you are lucky this cat is still alive.

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We aren’t really equipped to give medical advice. I am not a vet. However, if there is a Humane Society near you, a rescue group or even a kind vet, you may be able to get some medicine or treatment assistance for that cat. There are some groups that will assist getting him to a vet too. If he is inside then a vet can give you meds to relax him enough to get him in a carrier and treat him. I would suggest you look for feral or rescue groups near you. Next door.com can put you in touch with locals near you and you might even find the Group that had him neutered. Facebook has some groups too. I cannot stress this enough, you need to talk to a vet whether you get him there or not. He requires medicine! Infection can get under the skin of a cat because they have a loose layer easily penetrated. Call every vet near you! Send the photos and appeal to them for medicine or help. Many vets know the local rescuers and may put you in touch with help. Care credit is an option many vets have too. A Gofundme account would probably bring donations for him. Please, you have appealed for help, take it the next step and make lots of calls! I don’t know where you are located but Google your town, city, county, state or wherever you live and the words feral or rescue cats. You obviously love this cat since you found us. My heart goes out to you. Please update us and stay on the search for help!
catsknowme catsknowme Do you know of any immune system boosters or anything that could help?

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One problem with long term boils. An epidermis like layer forms which prevents the skin from knitting back together. A vet is needed to do what’s necessary to get this wound to heal properly.

The stress from seeing the vet will fade. The health risks from not getting this round taken care of won’t.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Josh508

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your help. Hopefully I will be able to find someone in my area that can help him..You would think he would be in pain..But, It never seemed to bother him at all.. He's always hungry and looks good otherwise. Not sure how old he is.. I would say at least 8-10..He recently started coming inside our house for an HR or so, before he starts getting nervous and looking for a way out..We have an indoor cat named "Rosey" that he fights with occasionally. Should I be concerned that they are in close contact?

Attachments

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a general rule , when I bring in a new rescue, I isolate them from the others here. Even if I just set them up in a small bathroom . That is a precaution to prevent spread of anything that might be present. Better to practice caution. This hurt kitty really needs to be somewhere safe and comfortable to help his immune system. Letting him back outside will expose him to other things he may not be able to fight off in his compromised condition. As I stated, I am not a vet and can only tell you to practice good hygiene, give him a warm dry and quiet place of his own to recover and search for help.
I know you said the kitty is not in pain but cats hide their pain. It is a survival thing for them. If they show pain they are opening themselves up to being seen as weak to predators. Predators always go for the weakest prey. Please do whatever you can.