Very Skinny Found Sick Kitten

DET_CAT_DAD

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
IMG_6761.JPG
IMG_6744.JPG
On Sunday, a lady contacted me through Facebook asking if I could help with a sick kitten who keeps coming by her yard. She wasn't able to keep it and didn't have the means to take it to a vet. Despite wanting to just sit around and watch NFL football all day, I agreed to let her bring it over to my condo and keep it in my spare bedroom until I could get it into the vet this week. I am pretty active on local cat groups and should have an easy time finding it a home.

She brought it over to me in her car and handed it to me through her car door window in a laundry basket. I should have known better and brought out my cat carrier but I honestly thought she'd secure the kitten. I have a long walkway up to my condo and I was about 15 feet when the kitten hopped out of the laundry basket and bolted away behind some of the condos near me.

We searched to find it for a half hour but almost every one of those neighbors has a deck and the kitten was all black. The lady was heartbroken but I had a good feeling about the situation and always leave food and water out for the stray/feral cats in the neighborhood so I figured the kitten would make his way to my porch eventually.

I missed a good portion of the Lions game but they ended up winning and when the game was over, I recruited my wife to come help me look for the kitten. We walked maybe ten condos down and there was the kitten sitting on a neighbor's porch! My wife tried to coax it to her but he ran right by her and underneath a fence that separates our condos and train tracks.

Long story short (but not quite at this point), the lady who found him ended up coming back over and was able to get the kitten to come to her after about an hour of my wife and I stepping in dog poop, crawling through bushes and landscaping and sweating buckets.

I had a vet appointment for today but I was unable to get out of work early to go. I was able to reschedule for Saturday and will have no conflict with work that day. The kitten is skin and bones and appears to have an upper respiratory infection. We are cleaning his eyes and nose with a damp warm water towel when we are home from work. He's eating sporadically both wet and dry food. It's hard to tell how much he's eating but he's eaten bagged dry food, canned wet food and some baby food. We've also given him kitten milk, which he has either spilled or lapped up. He is in a decent-sized dog crate with a small litter box in there. He has pooped three times and peed multiple times as well. He's not going in the litter box. I'm not that well-versed in kittens so I'm not sure how to get him to start using the litter box. That's not my main concern for now though. I just want to get him through the next 36 hours to get him to the vet. Despite his goopy eyes and runny nose, he's super friendly with my wife and I when we go in there. Any tips on getting him to eat more? Or should I be concerned that he's eating enough considering he is pooping and peeing? I just want to help him to start gaining weight until we can get medication for him on Saturday and help him improve his cold. I'm guessing cats are like humans and don't have huge appetites when sick.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
First let me say: THANK YOU FOR TAKING THAT POOR BABY FELINE IN!

He is not eating much because the cold has messed with his sense of smell. As soon as he gets some antibiotics in him and the infection clears up, you will see one hungry kitten. Just be thankful that he is taking in enough food to keep himself alive.How about trying some warm milk?

By the looks of him I doubt he would have survived much longer without human help. Thank you again, you really are a hero.

Last edited:

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe try warming the food a little bit so it is smellier? Might help him (is it a him?) recognize it as food. Microwave is an option. Or put the food in a glass jar set in a pan of water on the stove. Like food for human babies, warm the food until it feels just barely warm on the inside of your wrist.

Well done, you and your wife both!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:clapcat: Bravo for rescuing that cutie! Unflavored pedialyte will help rebalance his electrolytes. Does he have a small box for his bedroom? I cut holes on 3 sides of a box with the litterbox behind the solid, uncut 4th wall so the cat has a feeling of separation from his litter area. How is the consistency of his stools?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DET_CAT_DAD

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm heartbroken to report that the little guy passed away last night at around 1:45 a.m. of cardiac arrest at the vet's office. We just had a weird feeling at around midnight that he needed to go in and we took him to a 24-hour vet. They tried to revive him but I think it was more than his tiny body could handle. Thank you everyone for the replies and attempts to help. I've posted here multiple times and always get great advice. This hurts a lot but I'm going to continue to rescue and foster. I'm just sad that I only had a few whole days with him.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm heartbroken to report that the little guy passed away last night at around 1:45 a.m. of cardiac arrest at the vet's office. We just had a weird feeling at around midnight that he needed to go in and we took him to a 24-hour vet. They tried to revive him but I think it was more than his tiny body could handle. Thank you everyone for the replies and attempts to help. I've posted here multiple times and always get great advice. This hurts a lot but I'm going to continue to rescue and foster. I'm just sad that I only had a few whole days with him.

Oh wow, I am so very sorry. Thank you again for helping him, at least he knew what love and having a family was all about before he left this world.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We all would wish a different story for this little panther cat. Alas, we do not always get what we want. You did your best, no regrets there. Next time . . . let's hope next time (and there will be a next time) the story has a happier ending.