Very Sick ( feral or stray) cant smell wont go in trap for vet trip

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor thing - she definitely looks uncomfortable. She's very lucky to have someone as caring as you to look after her and hopefully get her the care she needs.

I saw that others noted you might be able to pick her up and put her in a carrier vs trap her. I skimmed through answers a bit - so someone may have asked this - are you able to get close enough to perhaps scruff her and get her into a carrier or a trap? I would only go that way if you feel she's not going to be able to make it into the trap (bc of weakness, etc) - or if you feel you really can handle her. It's not easy - even a sick feral kitty can really pull some strength out when switching into "fearing for their lives" mode (one of our ex-ferals who is normally a sweet mush-ball turned into a puma when she was very ill and we tried to stuff her into a carrier!!!!). Having someone there to help you - who's not scared of kitties! - can be a big help!!!! That second pair of hands can be a huge help - closing the carrier door, etc.

If you still think you can get her in the trap (and sounds like you're getting her close!) - - - another thing to try to lure her is canned mackerel. It smells to HIGH HEAVEN, but kitties usually love it (you can find it in most grocery stores, near the tuna and other canned meats). It's definitely our "go to" for trapping kitties! If you don't have a towel over the trap already (alot of us do that once they've tripped the trap), maybe you go ahead and put it over ⅔ of it now so that she looks at it as not only a place with food, but also a safe, covered place with food.

I truly hope you get her, and can get her the help she needs. It does my heart good to see how much you're doing for this girl. Good for you!!!!!!!!! Our fingers are crossed for you AND her :goodluck: - - - so keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WWG1WGA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Poor thing - she definitely looks uncomfortable. She's very lucky to have someone as caring as you to look after her and hopefully get her the care she needs.

I saw that others noted you might be able to pick her up and put her in a carrier vs trap her. I skimmed through answers a bit - so someone may have asked this - are you able to get close enough to perhaps scruff her and get her into a carrier or a trap? I would only go that way if you feel she's not going to be able to make it into the trap (bc of weakness, etc) - or if you feel you really can handle her. It's not easy - even a sick feral kitty can really pull some strength out when switching into "fearing for their lives" mode (one of our ex-ferals who is normally a sweet mush-ball turned into a puma when she was very ill and we tried to stuff her into a carrier!!!!). Having someone there to help you - who's not scared of kitties! - can be a big help!!!! That second pair of hands can be a huge help - closing the carrier door, etc.

If you still think you can get her in the trap (and sounds like you're getting her close!) - - - another thing to try to lure her is canned mackerel. It smells to HIGH HEAVEN, but kitties usually love it (you can find it in most grocery stores, near the tuna and other canned meats). It's definitely our "go to" for trapping kitties! If you don't have a towel over the trap already (alot of us do that once they've tripped the trap), maybe you go ahead and put it over ⅔ of it now so that she looks at it as not only a place with food, but also a safe, covered place with food.

I truly hope you get her, and can get her the help she needs. It does my heart good to see how much you're doing for this girl. Good for you!!!!!!!!! Our fingers are crossed for you AND her :goodluck: - - - so keep us posted!
1620425497040.png
1620425515386.png

I can get this close. She isnt as weak as I thought or it looks. I am having quite a difficult time feeding my semi 'feral outdoor cat (Bud Bud) ( is there an official name for that?), every time I put his food down even when I moved it 3 times, she leaves the step and goes after Bud Buds food he is stressing bigtime, its probably quite the comedy to watch as this lil kitty who looks like she's on her last legs, spring to life and chase away this strong boy, I move the food and ..repeat..she does it again then she doesnt even eat the food, she goes back to the step, after she dribbles on his food. Its like she doesnt want him to eat. He is a sweet cat, my parents TNR him and a couple kitties, kept 1 and put the rest outside, (evil people). So now he lives in the backyard & his sister lives indoors. But I lli keep yall posted. She swatted at me when I tried to feed her by hand ( pretty stupid holding food in my hand in front of a wild animal) Rocket scientist

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Okay...she dribbles on the food but does not eat it? She is showing some sort of initiative/aggressive behavior but is not eating the food exactly. This sounds as if she is too sick to eat, dental issues, mouth problem, etc. Food attracts her, but when she gets there she refuses it. She is not fixed and Bud is as I understand it. There can be a pecking order with cats among those who are not fixed and those who are with the fixed female being lowest on the scale. Talking about ferals and outdoor cats, not pets necessarily, especially as most people fix their pets if they have no intention to breed.

If you need to try to touch her, get heavy gloves like animal handling gloves, very heavy rose pruning gloves, or the like. Cover up your arms with a jacket as well.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad you could get even closer. But agree with fionasmom fionasmom - - dribbling food out is unusual - - and often denotes a desire to eat (which is good!), but an inability to chew, swallow, etc (which is not so good). And I think getting her somewhere for a check-up on those issues is still really important. It doesn't take many days of not consuming food before she'll have a real issue.

Sounds like she's behaving more agressively than normal. That's another sign that she likely truly doesn't feel right. The absolutely last thing a feral (or almost any) cat will do is show weakness/illness unless they have to. She may be behaving as she is because she doesn't want Bud Bud to see her as weak. So she may be pushing Bub Bud back to keep up the charade (for him) that she's healthy and eating. If anything - she's likely just trying to keep him from seeing her weakness.

Again - if possible - a vet visit sounds like a good idea (but be sure to, as fionasmom fionasmom noted, come prepared with some big leather gloves!). Keep us posted - so glad you're caring for her!!!!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
If she isn't spayed I would also be concerned if she got pregnant. Pregnancy is hard even on healthy animals (and people) If she is in this state a Pregnancy could kill her.

Please get her trapped and spayed soon.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is following the food, use that to get her in the trap as soon as possible. It sounds like she has enough energy to resist being picked up so the trap will be easier. I really think that Bud Bud May be instrumental in getting her trapped. If she is following his food, lead her. If he is near and being fed yummy stuff, she will come after it. This may be her incentive. She knows he is getting things to eat that she needs. Cats observe each other. If you need to get her attention, try tossing a tiny bit of the food to the back of the trap. The movement can stimulate her to pursue it without thinking.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WWG1WGA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys just wanted to thank you all for your assistance. I have been holding out hope sick cat would return, but she has not. The 2nd night I set the trap, a different feral I do see from time to time, was in the trap and the sick cat and my regular feral (Buddy) who lives in the backyard were nowhere to be found. Scared? Buddy returned the next day, but sadly I have not seen the sick cat at all. Ever since that episode, Buddy has been acting so different. He has literally lived in my yard, under my deck he has food and shelter and heated cat house for 6 or 7 years, he is always in my yard. Since then I see him once a day if I am lucky and he rarely eats here and he isnt sleeping in any of the 3 cathouses.. He just wont eat, he looks like he wants to but he wont. So odd and I am kinda sad about the whole thing. I had a great routine with buddy, fed him twice a day, he comes when I call, but now hes like a different cat. Anyone have a experience that was similar? Well thank you all again, your wonderful people the animals are lucky to have you all. God Bless.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You tried very hard to get the sick cat and that is all you can do. As for Buddy, I have had cats, both ferals outside and my indoor pets, change their routine and behavior completely. The only thing that worries me about Buddy is that he seems to want to eat but won't. Can you get him to a vet? While this coincides with the episode with the other cat, it may be that two things are going on here.

In every situation that I mentioned, particularly the outdoor ferals, I have treated it as case by case and made a determination as to what needed to be done.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Buddy! He definitely sounds ill. Either he is nauseous or can't smell or his mouth hurts. Have you tried offering a thin gruel/soup of canned pate that he can lap up? Adding a tiny bit of cream (no lactose, please) or, better yet, a small amount of slippery elm decocotion (like a tea but simmered) can make the food easier to eat, if the problem is dental. You are a true guardian for those cats!

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you are concern about the sick little female feline but from what I read about her I don't think she was really sick. She didn't look bad and she could eat and drink. She may have wandered off to have kittens and will be back. She hasn't been gone that long. Buddy is fixed, right? I think he may have changed routines a bit because of all the activity recently around your house. They wait things out, but they are usually not far away.

Can you put some pain medicine and an antibiotic into some of the food you put out for him?