Very Sick ( feral or stray) cant smell wont go in trap for vet trip

WWG1WGA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, long story short. I care for 1 feral for 5 years. He lives under my deck in one of 3 luxurious cat houses of his choice. Recently another cat arrived. She looked a bit beat up, but now she looks very ill. I called the ani,al hospital and I can bring her tomorrow. Problem is she cant smell the food in front of her face, never mind in a trap, (I dont think). She is very very weak, I am thinking of trying to get her into a carrier myself, but I have never done this. Causing me a lot of anxiety. I have 2 indoor cats and I just have no clue what to do. Ideas? This poor animal is on its last legs.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, long story short. I care for 1 feral for 5 years. He lives under my deck in one of 3 luxurious cat houses of his choice. Recently another cat arrived. She looked a bit beat up, but now she looks very ill. I called the ani,al hospital and I can bring her tomorrow. Problem is she cant smell the food in front of her face, never mind in a trap, (I dont think). She is very very weak, I am thinking of trying to get her into a carrier myself, but I have never done this. Causing me a lot of anxiety. I have 2 indoor cats and I just have no clue what to do. Ideas? This poor animal is on its last legs.

I was in your shoes a few years ago. I was feeding a colony of ferals over on Hoods parking-lot and I noticed that one of the young females didn't seem to want to touch her food- barely licked it. Very soon her eyes and nose was covered in mucus and I knew she had an infection. She was the least trusting of the feral cats, so getting her presented a real challenge. What kills me is that for many nights after I noticed her illness she still had the strength to outrun me. I didn't know what to do because I didn't want to get hurt by her but yet I couldn't just let her continue like that. Then one night after staggering around my car, she finally collapsed against my leg and just laid there- she was that weak. I stood very still and then reached down and gently touched the back of her neck, just to see how she would react. Then I picked her up by the back of her neck (like a mom cat) and quickly got her into my car. I never said a word or made a sound.On her part very little resistance was offered because by that time she was so out of it.

Have you tried the trap yet? Can you put some really strong smelling food like tuna in it? Can you throw a large towel over her and then pick her up- with gloves? (I have used blankets sometimes) Do you have a net? Will she let you get close to her?
It might help to just sit or stand there and let her come to you- have the carrier right there with you. I doubt that your kitty is going to put up with much of a struggle by the way you are describing her behavior.

Please let us know how it goes. We care.

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with jefferd18 jefferd18 . I think you may be able to get her. I have a pair of welding gloves for very active cats but they don’t allow much dexterity. I often just wear long sleeved , padded coat and use a lancer or scruff ing for a very sick cat. It happens a lot that the cat intuitively knows you are not there to harm it. Whether they are too weak to care or they have seen that you feed and offer assistance, they submit. Wrapping kitty up and placing her in a carrier may well be your answer. Try to be confident in your handling. Matter of fact attitude often carries through to them. Keep the trap nearby and maybe you can herd her into it. Stinky food can get through to them sometimes. Warm food can be more appealing too. Gerber 2nd foods all meat baby food is easy to lick up and if it is warm it carries a nice aroma. I do hope you can get her. I am very grateful to you for trying to help her.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with jefferd18 jefferd18 . I think you may be able to get her. I have a pair of welding gloves for very active cats but they don’t allow much dexterity. I often just wear long sleeved , padded coat and use a lancer or scruff ing for a very sick cat. It happens a lot that the cat intuitively knows you are not there to harm it. Whether they are too weak to care or they have seen that you feed and offer assistance, they submit. Wrapping kitty up and placing her in a carrier may well be your answer. Try to be confident in your handling. Matter of fact attitude often carries through to them. Keep the trap nearby and maybe you can herd her into it. Stinky food can get through to them sometimes. Warm food can be more appealing too. Gerber 2nd foods all meat baby food is easy to lick up and if it is warm it carries a nice aroma. I do hope you can get her. I am very grateful to you for trying to help her.

You are so right Jcatbird Jcatbird . Act quick, act silently, and also, act with confidence.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WWG1WGA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was in your shoes a few years ago. I was feeding a colony of ferals over on Hoods parking-lot and I noticed that one of the young females didn't seem to want to touch her food- barely licked it. Very soon her eyes and nose was covered in mucus and I knew she had an infection. She was the least trusting of the feral cats, so getting her presented a real challenge. What kills me is that for many nights after I noticed her illness she still had the strength to outrun me. I didn't know what to do because I didn't want to get hurt by her but yet I couldn't just let her continue like that. Then one night after staggering around my car, she finally collapsed against my leg and just laid there- she was that weak. I stood very still and then reached down and gently touched the back of her neck, just to see how she would react. Then I picked her up by the back of her neck (like a mom cat) and quickly got her into my car. I never said a word or made a sound.On her part very little resistance was offered because by that time she was so out of it.

Have you tried the trap yet? Can you put some really strong smelling food like tuna in it? Can you throw a large towel over her and then pick her up- with gloves? (I have used blankets sometimes) Do you have a net? Will she let you get close to her?
It might help to just sit or stand there and let her come to you- have the carrier right there with you. I doubt that your kitty is going to put up with much of a struggle by the way you are describing her behavior.
Wow, exact same situation. So just now she was outside eating in the trap I just moved the food back a little and ima go out to check shortly. The poor animal has stuff coming out everywhere, drainage, congestion, she is skinny and very dirty, I hope she makes it. thank you for your reply, its always good t know your not the only one!! .

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, exact same situation. So just now she was outside eating in the trap I just moved the food back a little and ima go out to check shortly. The poor animal has stuff coming out everywhere, drainage, congestion, she is skinny and very dirty, I hope she makes it. thank you for your reply, its always good t know your not the only one!! .
Oh you got her! I am so happy for you both and I know you must be so relieved. Trying to help a frighten and sick kitty is very stressful.

Yes it sounds identical to my situation a few summers back. To top things off my female cat was also pregnant and she ended up losing both of her unborn kittens because she wasn't getting any nutrition.

If she is eating then she is getting some hydration in her and that's a good thing. Sounds like she does have an infection and most likely the vet will give her a shot and send some antibiotics home with you. He/she will also probably give her fluids under her skin. She sounds young and strong and I hope so much that she makes it. Thank you for helping her.
I am sending positive vibes your way and please let us know what the vet says tomorrow.

WWG1WGA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh you got her! I am so happy for you both and I know you must be so relieved. Trying to help a frighten and sick kitty is very stressful.

Yes it sounds identical to my situation a few summers back. To top things off my female cat was also pregnant and she ended up losing both of her unborn kittens because she wasn't getting any nutrition.

If she is eating then she is getting some hydration in her and that's a good thing. Sounds like she does have an infection and most likely the vet will give her a shot and send some antibiotics home with you. He/she will also probably give her fluids under her skin. She sounds young and strong and I hope so much that she makes it. Thank you for helping her.
I am sending positive vibes your way and please let us know what the vet says tomorrow.
Thank you . She is eating and drinking. I didnt get her yet. Getting close. I will get her, I was just outside with her she is drinking, and she ate some tuna and turkey I had laid out on the path to the cage. I will post back and let you know. Thank you for the vibes.

WWG1WGA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It can be very intimidating. Many of us have gone through similar situations. You are not a wimp by any stretch. It takes a brave heart to sit with a sick kitty. You have our admiration.
Its maddening, but I know she showed up for a reason and I will gladly take the responsibility. There are so many emotions involved trying to do this, I haven't ate much now that think of it. I will let you know. Thank you for the pat on the back!!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Use little bits to lead her into the trap. She may get full quickly. If you don’t get her yet, at least you know she has taken some food and that will help her. You also have spent time with her which forms a bond. She can be lead. It’s going to work. You have a pat on the back and a huge hug around the neck! Make sure you eat and keep your strength up to be at your best. You are doing great and she knows you are giving her care. You are right. She came to you for a reason. She knew you would care. She can see your heart.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you . She is eating and drinking. I didnt get her yet. Getting close. I will get her, I was just outside with her she is drinking, and she ate some tuna and turkey I had laid out on the path to the cage. I will post back and let you know. Thank you for the vibes.
I misunderstood, I'm sorry. But I am so happy that she is eating and drinking. Another trick of mine was to sneak some antibiotics that I got from the vet into the food of any sick feral over at Hoods. Just mixed it right in with tuna. I tried that with the one I told you about but she just got to the point where she wouldn't even lick at the wet food I put out for her. Always came running when I pulled up, always wanted to eat but just couldn't smell her food and as we both know, cats won't eat what they can't smell.

You've got this one. :)

WWG1WGA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good Morning. I didnt get her last night. I didnt properly set the trap. Food Gone, kitty basking in the sunlight. Background- I have 2 indoor cats, 1 long term feral who lives under my deck as well. I also feed the deer and birds They all showed at the same time last night calling for me ( except birds) and I was very distracted and didnt set the trap correctly but the food was gone so someone went in there although it could have been a racoon or Bud my feral. I am calling the vet now to see if I catch her tonight I could bring her tomorrow A.M. This morning when I put food out for my regular guy "Bud Bud" and stray kitty, she chased him away from his food area (she kinda has one now but..) he has been eating at for 5 years. Now I know why he has been sketchy about eating recently. She actually looked a bit better, although I wont be using that as an excuse not to care for her.. One of my indoor cats didnt eat breakfast today, now im worried I brought some sickness inside.. This is literally the most stressful thing I have dealt with in 2 years, which says a lot considering.... I will stop my rant, its good to know I am not alone, thank you for your wonderful ideas & support. I am trying to run this house for my self absorbed NPD Elderly Mom & step dad I care for all the animals myself. It can get hellish in my mind, My apologies I know this isnt the Psychiatry forum... I am calling the vet now.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have nothing to add that has not been posted but want to say that you are a wonderful person to be so caring and responsible. Not the psychiatry forum, but I do get the NPD part as my mom had that as well. You are taking care of a lot of people and I hope you have some time to be good to yourself.

WWG1WGA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I misunderstood, I'm sorry. But I am so happy that she is eating and drinking. Another trick of mine was to sneak some antibiotics that I got from the vet into the food of any sick feral over at Hoods. Just mixed it right in with tuna. I tried that with the one I told you about but she just got to the point where she wouldn't even lick at the wet food I put out for her. Always came running when I pulled up, always wanted to eat but just couldn't smell her food and as we both know, cats won't eat what they can't smell.

Use little bits to lead her into the trap. She may get full quickly. If you don’t get her yet, at least you know she has taken some food and that will help her. You also have spent time with her which forms a bond. She can be lead. It’s going to work. You have a pat on the back and a huge hug around the neck! Make sure you eat and keep your strength up to be at your best. You are doing great and she knows you are giving her care. You are right. She came to you for a reason. She knew you would care. She can see your heart.
I was just sitting outside with her. She ate this morning , I have the trap out, the cats have a good setup on my yard, protection, sun, its quiet, I have 3 cat homes, she is comfy. She eats a bit, drinks a fair amount water, she's very dirty flies are following her, but she wont let me clean her up. She sits with me and she will listen to my voice and follow me. I spoke with the vet and I can bring her tomorrow morning if I get her tonight, emergency situation extra $$$ thats ok. So I hope to get her tonight, she is eating and drinking, I do have fishing nets & things so ill keep you posted.

WWG1WGA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have nothing to add that has not been posted but want to say that you are a wonderful person to be so caring and responsible. Not the psychiatry forum, but I do get the NPD part as my mom had that as well. You are taking care of a lot of people and I hope you have some time to be good to yourself.
Thank you, I make sure to make that time , even if I just meditate and read. Its important.

WWG1WGA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I have a full Metronidazole script. The liquid that makes cats maouths foam from when 1 of the cats was sick. I dont think she will let me shoot on her mouth. She is eating some chicken I cooked slightly for her, and letting me close enough to pet her. She cant even meow, she makes a noise when she tries and its like a low whistle from her chest. Ugh .. my cats are getting very jealous I usually spend a few hours a day with my Beck Beck... Oh here is the girl from outside..
1620421449516.png
1620421475194.png
1620421449516.png 1620421475194.png

WWG1WGA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a full Metronidazole script. The liquid that makes cats maouths foam from when 1 of the cats was sick. I dont think she will let me shoot on her mouth. She is eating some chicken I cooked slightly for her, and letting me close enough to pet her. She cant even meow, she makes a noise when she tries and its like a low whistle from her chest. Ugh .. my cats are getting very jealous I usually spend a few hours a day with my Beck Beck... Oh here is the girl from outside..View attachment 379502View attachment 379503View attachment 379502View attachment 379503
I think I can easily get her tonight or wee hours of the morning 2 the Vet hospital