Very shy new cat - under the bed and won’t come out

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds wonderful! Progress and more progress. I think she is going to be fine! She sounds like one I adopted a few years ago, he is now very comfortable in our home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CalicoPenny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Day 48: Just a little update. Everything is moving along. Under the couch is still Maisie’s favorite napping spot, but it doesn’t really seem so much like hiding anymore and she spends plenty of time out and about. She’s still pretty skittish of me, but less so every day. She’s very affectionate at feeding time- she’ll rub on my legs, and I can pet her and even pick her up!
Penny and Maisie frequently sniff noses, and then Maisie always tries to rub up against her, with varying reactions from Penny (from no reaction up through hissing and smacking). There is a fair amount of smacking the last few days - Maisie likes to pester her big sister and Penny can be a little bit grumpy about it sometimes. But there have been no real fights, no one seems stressed at all. Maybe Maisie can teach Penny how to play with her😀

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
This wonderful. They both seem quite relaxed in this pic and both so cute! It is also great that she lets you pick her up - some cats, like mine, never let you do that. As I have said before, she might end up being a bit of a strong willed character, but a great cat.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Day 48: Just a little update. Everything is moving along. Under the couch is still Maisie’s favorite napping spot, but it doesn’t really seem so much like hiding anymore and she spends plenty of time out and about. She’s still pretty skittish of me, but less so every day. She’s very affectionate at feeding time- she’ll rub on my legs, and I can pet her and even pick her up!
Penny and Maisie frequently sniff noses, and then Maisie always tries to rub up against her, with varying reactions from Penny (from no reaction up through hissing and smacking). There is a fair amount of smacking the last few days - Maisie likes to pester her big sister and Penny can be a little bit grumpy about it sometimes. But there have been no real fights, no one seems stressed at all. Maybe Maisie can teach Penny how to play with her😀
I did have that happen with Mooshoo teaching Waffles! Waffles smacking Moo didn't make her give up, and Waffles came around. "I don't like you. Well maybe a little. OK maybe more. I guess you are tons of fun!!"

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is also great that she lets you pick her up - some cats, like mine, never let you do that.
My Ruby doesn't let me pick her up either. She'll cuddle beside me, or sleep on my lap, but she hates being restrained, so picking her up and hugging her, is a no go.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CalicoPenny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hopefully everyone interpreted no news as good news, but I decided to make an official update.

Maisie has turned into a total cuddle bug. She hops on my lap most days, and she doesn’t mind being picked up (she purrs and kneads) so she’s my go-to when I need a ‘kitty hug’.

She is still scared of all other humans, and will hide under the bed if any come over, but that’s no problem. Penny will sit on guests lap to make up for it ;)

Penny and Maisie are still working on their relationship. Maisie just has a lot of energy. But they sleep together sometimes, and I’ve noticed lately more of what looks like mutual play (pretty much the same ‘playing’ they always do, but minus the growing and hissing from Penny).

I work from home now because of COVID, so I get to be home with my kitties ❤.