Very pregnant Cat

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Someone posted about her on nextdoor but couldn't do any more than feed her and provide an outdoor shelter because their house has a lot of Dogs, so I offered to go pick her up and they said it was a great idea. I just brought her home and she looks like she's due very soon but is thin and boney otherwise, she's very friendly so unfortunately looks like yet another abandoned pet. I've got powedered KMR and will be feeding her as much wet food as she will eat.

I e-mailed my vet to see when the soonest I can get her in to be checked out/tested/dewormed/etc. so I'm just waiting to hear back about that, and I'm praying she's not FIV/FELV positive.

I think I'm good for now, just waiting.
20210410_140312.jpg

20210410_140300.jpg

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aw, thank you for rescuing her! She's beautiful!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And already a problem. She ate when I fed her right after bringing her home but now she won't touch it. It's the same food I gave her earlier so it's not that she doesn't like it, she practically inhaled it before so I'm wondering if she's feeling nauseated.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Difficult to know if she’s having an upset tummy from changing foods from what the people you got her from were feeding her, or if she’s just not hungry at the moment. Poor baby! Thanks for rescuing her.

John Perram

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
See if she eats tomorrow. I'm guessing she might be stuffed.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She may be going into labor. TCS is running very slow for me tonight, I think it's a local issue. HOWEVER...look in this section of articles for some assistance in this area. Cat Care – TheCatSite Articles There are SEVERAL articles on pregnancy and kitten bearing/care that are excellent.

Last edited:

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She may be going into labor. TCS is running very slow for me tonight, I think it's a local issue. HOWEVER...look in this section of articles for some assistance in this area. Cat Care – TheCatSite Articles There are SEVERAL articles on pregnancy and kitten bearing/care that are excellent.
She was just sick I think since she ate fine Sunday. Today I took her to the vet and she checked out fine, aside from being really thin she's in surprisingly good condition. Xray showed the Kittens just starting to calcify so she's got around 3 weeks to go yet.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, EXCELLENT!!! But take a look at those articles, anyhow, if you haven't played midwife to a cat yet, or in a while.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the shelters I work with has a foster with a lot of experience with birthing that should be available this coming week. If my vet's estimate is accurate she's also due this coming week.

I have a lot of time on my hands since I'm not working so it wouldn't be an issue for me to frequently check on her and the Kittens, but the last time I dealt with birthing was when I was like 10, and that was just watching. I guess I'm just concerned that there might be complications since she's been so malnourished. I've been feeding her twice what I'd normally feed a Cat so she's definitely getting more food but she's barely put on any weight. I tried feeding her more but she threw up.

Should I just keep her here where she's comfortable, or would it be better to send her to a more experienced foster even if it's just a few days before she's supposed to be due?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Most cats manage the birthing process well, but it’s entirely up to you. If you keep the cat is the experienced foster available to drop by if need be?

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats manage the birthing process well, but it’s entirely up to you. If you keep the cat is the experienced foster available to drop by if need be?
I didn't talk to them directly so I don't know, it was through the lady who runs one of the shelters I work with.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Supposed to go to the other foster today at noon, so guess what happened sometime after 2:30 when I went to bed. She probably started labor just a couple hours before I got up at 8 since at least one of the Kittens is still wet, but she decided to use the large carrier I put in there (which is good because that's what it's in there for) and is laying between them and the opening so I can't tell how many there are, but it sounds like at least 3. She's still rather wide so I don't think she's done yet but she's already nursing so I don't think this is her first time being a mother.

I really wish she could have waited a few more hours since I have nowhere else to put the other Cat that's in the room aside from the training crate which he hates being stuck in, so her going to that other foster would have been ideal. He keeps crying and every time he starts up the Kittens join in so it's really noisy in there.

She just got up, walked around for a few seconds, then went back in. There are 5 so far.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can the other cat go to a foster who has room? It’s not fair for him to be crated for very long.

Good to hear that mom is managing so well on her own! Keep us posted, but hoping five is it!

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can the other cat go to a foster who has room? It’s not fair for him to be crated for very long.

Good to hear that mom is managing so well on her own! Keep us posted, but hoping five is it!
He's FIV+ and nobody can/will take him. I temporarily solved the problem by putting him in the master bedroom, but it's not exactly Cat friendly, there's nothing in there to keep him occupied. Going to try to move mom+Kittens to the other foster on Saturday, just have to get through the week.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like 5 is it, but I'm not going to relax until later tomorrow because I know Cats can give birth to more quite some time after they've delivered.

2 B&W, 1 orange, 1 tabby, 1 tortie.
20210504_142446.jpg

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got them transferred this weekend so things are more or less back to normal.