Very pregnant cat in labor?

GeorgiaWelch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a very pregnant cat, and I’m pretty sure she’s been in labor for a couple of days now. She’s yowling and pacing, looking for a nest everywhere. I have a box set up for her, but she’s not happy with it yet. Anyway, this has been going on for a couple of days with no kittens yet. I’m sure she’s pregnant because she had an ultrasound a few weeks ago, and it showed at least one live kitten. She’s eating drinking and going to the litter box, and she at about 64 or 65 days along. My question is about her vaginal discharge. I saw the mucus plug come out and then a pinkish discharge. At one point, I was sure she was going to deliver because there was clear fluid like her water broke. Now 2 days later, there’s pinkish discharge dripping, yowling, pacing, restlessness, and nesting, but no babies. Should I take her to the vet?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have a very pregnant cat, and I’m pretty sure she’s been in labor for a couple of days now. She’s yowling and pacing, looking for a nest everywhere. I have a box set up for her, but she’s not happy with it yet. Anyway, this has been going on for a couple of days with no kittens yet. I’m sure she’s pregnant because she had an ultrasound a few weeks ago, and it showed at least one live kitten. She’s eating drinking and going to the litter box, and she at about 64 or 65 days along. My question is about her vaginal discharge. I saw the mucus plug come out and then a pinkish discharge. At one point, I was sure she was going to deliver because there was clear fluid like her water broke. Now 2 days later, there’s pinkish discharge dripping, yowling, pacing, restlessness, and nesting, but no babies. Should I take her to the vet?
If you actually do have access to a vet, its wise. Alike paying an insurance premium...

Phone first for advices if you can and want, the vet will know what follow up questions to give.

With a little luck "its just to wait", but I dont dare to say it for sure... Problems do happens.
This yowling bothers me. She isnt calmly waiting, so something is amiss.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, see the vet. She may have dystocia, which is a failure to produce contractions strong enough to push the kittens out. The vet can x-ray or ultrasound her to see if a kitten is stuck in the birth canal. Please keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GeorgiaWelch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m at the veterinarian now, and they are about to preform a c section. There is one live kitten, which is the problem. The one kitten is too big to go thru the birth canal. I hope it survives. The mother is stable right now, and the kitten’s heart rate is good, so I’m hoping for the best. Thank you for the replies. They are much appreciated!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh no! I’m so sorry about the kitten, but glad your kitty is okay. Did the vet go ahead and spay her?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GeorgiaWelch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, she wasn’t spayed. The vet didn’t recommend it. I would like to have at least one litter from her as she is a beautiful snow Bengal.