Very New... Like, to EVERYTHING! :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nifty-C

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, the last few days with new-kitty (Caly) have been pretty interesting!

When we let her out of the cage on Saturday we didn't know if she was going to come back.

Well, not only did she stay in the open cage all day, but when we got back from dinner, she quickly came to meet us.

The last three nights since then, she's come to our bedroom outside door and called for some treats / attention. Even feeling super comfortable with walking into the bedroom and lying down!

That's all pretty terrific, but last night was my FAVORITE part of the experience of first-time-cat-owner so far:

Around 9:30 last night she came to the back door as usual asking for some treats. We spent a little time with her and she casually walked off.

The GF and I went back to watching TV...

... that is until a half hour later when we heard Cali meeowing like crazy. More than I ever had before (and she's pretty talkative). I was worried there was something wrong with her. She was loud and consistent!

The GF went out to check on her. A few minutes later I hear my GF say, "Oh my goodness... if that's what I think it is, Daddy is going to be sooo proud of you!!! What a good girl!!!"

I went out and confirmed it... she had gone out and killed a big fat rat and brought it back to us!

1603236013156.png

Not sure how much of her brining it back was because she felt we needed to be fed, to connect, to show her appreciation, or something else... but either way, it's clear she's pretty bonded with us now!

Here she is with her gift!

caly-rat.jpg

Nifty-C

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She comes by every night a little after dusk and meows at the back door to come in for some treats.

She's still pretty skittish (like she'll jump at any sudden moves or movements towards her) and often runs for the door, but if we're calm / quiet, she'll have no problem coming and taking a treat from right next to us. In fact, the other day I was on the floor and put a treat on my knee. She climbed up on my leg at ate the thread off my knee. Pretty cool!

Here she is at the foot of my desk begging asking for some treats:

Nifty-C

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I swear she sounds broken. LOL!

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:flail:sooo now the question becomes whose gonna get spoiled most by you??i suggest spoil em all equally if/when you canotherwise you get that accusing look from the gf like mine gives me everytime we make a trip to the pet store for graycies food i get that eye roll that says more toys??

Nifty-C

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kitty was getting more and more comfortable with us / coming into the house... then all of a sudden 2 days ago she's been TOTALLY skittish!

Wondering if something happened to her outside, or even at some point inside.

She went from wandering around inside the house a bit to coming in just fast enough to grab a treat, then take it outside to eat it.

Hopefully she'll come back to the path of trusting us more.

Nifty-C

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Caly continues to be much more skittish than the first few weeks. I'm thinking something must have happened to make her so crazy cautious.

The last two weeks she'd barely even come into the house, and when she did, she'd grab a treat and run out with it.

The last few days I've put in extra time / effort luring her into the house with treats. I sit on the ground and put the treats closer and closer to me. It's taken time, but she's slowly coming back to being slightly ok with hanging out in the house.

Today I spend even more time with her. She came into my office, hung out, then went into the bedroom where she plopped herself onto my GF's robe!!!

kitty-robe.jpg

Nifty-C

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sooo... I guess this is what an "outdoor feral rescue barn kitty" looks like?

When we got her a couple months ago, we thought best-case she'd *maybe* show up during the day while we were outside. We had NO idea she'd start wanting to come inside, and definitely didn't think she'd let us pet her.

In this pic, I'm giving her some love after she jumped up on my desk. As I type right now, she's snoozing in bed with the GF:

1608711890359.png

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
A very belated welcome to TCS! :welcomesign: When I looked at the date of your initial post I realized you've had Caly for awhile. Thank you so much for adopting and giving her a forever home. She's absolutely gorgeous.:lovecat3: From the looks of the recent above pic she looks pretty smitten with you and enjoying her creature comforts. Please check in to give us updates and, of course, always more pics.