Very low glucose level in cat’s blood test

snsmith2000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi my 2yr old 10lb cat had a vet appointment back in Jan. for Dermatitis (no solution for dermatitis yet) but she got her first blood test done, and the vets wouldn’t send me the paperwork.

2 months later and I just now received them literally at 11pm at night and her Glucose level was noted very low at 37mg out of the reference value of 72-175mg.

The Vet said nothing about this on the phone after the initial appointment. I was just told she had a high white blood cell count because of the infection from the dermatitis (which multiple things are marked high on here indicating she had a viral infection at the time).

After doing a quick google search, Glucose levels below 60mg is dangerous right? Could my cat be diabetic and does she need to see another vet about the glucose level specifically?? What should I do i’m so stressed about keeping her healthy after the dermatitis has started

4923E9D3-6DA7-4EBE-962F-BB73C69FBD00.png

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
While I do not know what may be causing this in your cat's case, it can be caused by stress. If visiting the vet is highly stressful to your cat, that might do it.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. As long as your cat is acting normal I wouldn’t worry about it. If the blood sat around for a while before being tested it will cause a false decrease in glucose. So, if they sent the blood to the lab, that could be why.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Blood glucose levels fluctuate within a normal range all the time in healthy people and animals. "Normal range" varies among individuals, too. Stress usually causes blood glucose levels to skyrocket but sometimes levels can drop. If your cat is otherwise healthy and is not diabetic, I would not worry about the one time level of 37 mg / dl.