very lethargic cat

andrayolo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello. I have a 7 month old cat that has been feeling very lethargic since last night i think. Last night, i assumed that he was just sleepy, but he has been sleeping non stop since then( its 6 pm right now). He eats normally, can’t ignore his favourite food, but we have to carry him to his bowl, he cannot move. I had to convince him to drink water because he didn’t even touch it. He got up to poop and pee, the poop was very very dry and his urine kinda dark. He cries when we pick him up, and I notice this weird thing: we can’t lift up his tail at all because he cries harder. He washes himself only where it’s easy to reach for example the front paws, but he can’t touch the rest of his body; his butt for example. He walks like he is in pain and I am sure he is but I don’t know how to help him until we go to the vet. He has a hard time standing, sitting, he is looking like an old man struggling to sit down or crouch

I am very scared since yesterday afternoon he was running crazy in our garden, being his normal self. I have to mention that it’s Sunday, in our city there are no vets who work at this hour, not even non stop ones, nobody ever answers the phone..I have to wait until next morning and I don’t know to to help him since then:(
Has anyone experienced this kind of problem? And has any idea how to soothe his pain until tomorrow? If it’s a stomach issue( which i’m not so sure it is because he eats normally but who knows), what should I feed him so he can feel better ? Would he suffer that much from constipation?
Right now he s sleeping next to me...I noticed something was slightly off this morning when he didn’t jump in my bed to wake me up:( but I didn’t think much of it, maybe he had other business to attend to, but now I’m pretty sure that he is suffering.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am so sorry for what your little guy and you are going through. Does he go outside? I am wondering if he was injured somehow and perhaps has something like a pinched nerve, or internal injuries you can't see. It certainly would seem that this isn't from constipation, IMO.
Until you can get him to the vet, maybe set him on a thick blanket or similar item that would enable you to pick him up in the blanket rather than directly handling his body?
Keep him eating and drinking, and I hope you can get him to the vet as soon as you can get a hold of someone. And, please let us know what happens!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

andrayolo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He usually goes outside but not too much. It’s weird because since yesterday( when he was running in the garden), he hasn’t been outside at all so I have no idea how he could have injured himself :(. He was fine after being outside
It appears he is getting a bit worse( there’s a chance that maybe it’s because we kept annoying him lol), but he can’t stand us picking him or even touching his back legs and tail. We managed to look at his legs, tail, under tail but we found nothing visible to the eye at least. ( after hours of crying and hissing and we tried the blanket thing). Another thing I have noticed is that his limping is worse now and he can’t sit on his butt at all. To sum up, he walks like he has something stuck up his butt.
Apart from that he is still eating( when we bring him the food), he was so annoyed with us checking him that he walked on his own to the litter box. He watched 30 minutes of “fish videos for cats”, seemed really interested by it. I could tell that he would rather be playing than sitting in his bed all day..

andrayolo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A quick update; he has been at the vet for 12 hours now( he is staying the night too) for close monitoring. In the afternoon he was ok ish i guess. They say that He ate a bowl and a half of wet foot, I don’t know if he did his business or not. Now it is 8 pm and they called us to say that he has a 41 degrees fever( none of my cats had fever like this, ever, I’m absolutely terrified); they gave him antibiotics and antiinflamatory shots. The vets can’t tell what is wrong...this is scaring me. They say that maybe it’s intestinal. I don’t know why they didn’t do an corona test or giardia. Maybe because he doesn’t have diahreea (yet..). Nothing is more out of the ordinary than it was yesterday.
I am thinking the worst possible outcome..PIF..I don’t think I’ll be able to sleep this night. I am so scared of losing him and how I ll miss him waking me up everyday or biting my nose. I’m thinking of how full of life he was the day before yesterday and how he started biting my feet that morning..I can’t help but cry.
I had a cat that died of panleukopenia 2 years ago and it absolutely traumatised me for life; I am very sensitive, but extremely when it comes to these little souls..
I’m thinking if maybe they suspected PIF they would have done the Corona test, we had this test done on our pets numerous times when they had dihareea or lethargy in the past.
But even though, I am very scared and I already miss him too much. I’m going through such a hard period right now and he is truly the light of my life. I know it’s maybe not ok to say, but he is the sweetest cat i’ve ever had and the one i treasure the most; our personalities just click.
Is anyone experienced with PIF? And can tell me if it is likely...

andrayolo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another update, after the antibiotics and other shots, the fever lowered. Instead of 41, he is at 37 right now; therefore no blood tests were performed and they sent him home( he is sitting in my lap right now). I was so happy to see him home, when he first walked in, in could tell that he was better; he walked, ran, meowed jumped in the bed, kissed us, being very vocal. He ate a bowl of wet food when he got home. He even washed himself thing he neglected for a while.
Like 45 mins have passed and his tummy is hurting again, he is crouching and having very fast breathing. He purred when he got home and I was very glad( he didn’t purr at all when he was feeling down), but now he is purring and breathing very fast at the same time it’s quite scary; I don’t think that it is a happy purr now, more like he s bothered by something Moreover he has this weird runny stuffy nose, therefore his breathing sounds funny( he had his lungs checked nothing wrong). I don’t know if his walk is wiggly or i’m just imagining it since I am worried about him; he seems to be going around just fine, but he s quite slow.
He is being very vocal, it’s not his usual self; he is crying when he s looking at us..But maybe he is just having a moment, he is quite mean when he wants to especially after coming from the vet. He does often ignore us because he is simply bad, he has a huge personality.
I’m hoping it’s because of the antibiotics( he is very down when he gets them).
I am trying to not get my hopes up and wait for the daily check up..I’m still hoping it was just an unexplained thing that will be quickly forgotten:)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Given the fast breathing and unusual vocalization, I would call the vet and let them know what is going on.

You might consider getting a second opinion from a vet with an entirely different practice (to avoid colleague bias). It would seem that blood work - at a minimum - should have been done.

Tagrendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That seems like something happened outdoors, did the vet check if there is any object in his stomach, maybe he ate something poisonous, also for internal injury? I think it's important to exclude those 3.

andrayolo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hopefully this will be the last update, he is back to normal; right now he s terrorising me haha. We had him on antibiotics for 4 days and after he was done with them, he was back. They checked everything, but didn’t seem to know what caused this. I guess some things will always be left unexplained, but I’m just glad he is feeling better :)