(Very Late) Question of The Day. Saturday 11th April.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Sorry for being so late! My work schedule has been manic this weekend.

:runaround::runaround::runaround:

How are you eating these days now that you can't go out as often? More adventurous with your cooking? Or living on canned beans and granola?

I've been trying to cook a few veggie curries and pasta dishes, and they haven't been too terrible.

I'm drinking a lot more tea and coffee than I usually do, but that might be because I'm spending more time online.

How about you?

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm eating a lot of Stouffer's frozen dinners, smoked turkey breast sammies, pbjs'.
Also coleslaw, can't get enough and green beans The best tasting food I've been
eating is Edy's butter pecan ice cream, so tasty.

I've had a few burgers from Micky-D's as the drive thru is still open.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Not really eating any differently to be honest with you, but I believe my self preservation instincts are kicking in and I'm trying not to eat -too- much even though I know I don't really have to. We stocked up on what we'd really need for like a month but I'm still pretty reserved. I was starving so I decided to make something to eat a bit ago since I wasn't really feeling dinner (we made meatloaf, but I'm just not a meatloaf person) so I made myself some ramen and egg swirled in with it. It's actually one of my really favorite cheap meals to make.

I have, however, completely cut out ordering out and eating fast food. I'm just way to paranoid =(

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Cooking more vegetables. Some meals are just vegetable plates, kinda plain, but if it's good vegetables, sauteed, steamed or roasted, I enjoy it. Though tonight I cooked burgers on my outdoor griddle. Cooking more big meals, too, instead of smaller snack type meals. I've been making lots of cookies from scratch for the last few months and I've had to slow down on that since I have no one to give them to except my neighbors!

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I typically cook every day anyway and have a decently stocked fridge, so not much has really changed with my cooking. I have been making extra bread since our local store seems to be always out. I bake it for my daughter, my one set of neighbors, and twice for the mailman.

We have tried to support some restaurants near us by getting take away a couple of times. Our favorite Chinese restaurant decided to shut down two weeks ago for the duration of the quarantine.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're eating pretty much as we normally would. We seldom eat out anyway- maybe every other month or so, so it's no big deal, and we stock up on non-perishables anyway, so we're living on what we have had laid in already.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I rarely eat out normally. I would occasionally have a pizza delivered. I am eating basically the same things but more then I used to, probably a combination of stress and boredom. I am feeling it in the way my clothes fit, need to find a different and more healthy way to deal with the stress and boredom. I went through a bit of a chocolate binge which definitely didn't help but that has run it's course.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Pretty much the same as usual, so "canned beans and granola". LOL. But I am rationing food and eating smaller portions to make it last longer. And I'm really, really missing perishable produce like salads, tomatoes, strawberries, raspberries, bananas, etc. 🥗 🍅 🍓 🍌

Sometime this week I'm going to have to brave the grocery store, so I'll hopefully get some of the foods I'm missing, but then for the next several days I'll freak every time I sneeze or get a tickle in my throat. :sigh:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Definitely eating more and a bit less healthy. My husband and I would go out to eat on Saturday and Sundays, so that is out. We've been getting takeout once a week and we get extra so it last a few days. I've been trying to shop for 2-3 weeks at a time, so fresh veggies are tough right now.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eating pretty much the same. Although I'm trying to be a bit more creative, as I do have the time for dishes that need prep. Usually during the week are "easy" meals, but now it doesn't matter. I have and have always had lots of food, because I'm a "buy in bulk when things are on sale" type, so I have a good variety on hand.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just the same as usual. Living on my own I always have a good stock of food in but there is a village shop within walking distance that is usually quiet if you go late afternoon and has quite a good selection of everything I need.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
As a rule, we don't eat out that often anyway (although, for some reason, we miss it more right now; maybe because we can't have it, so we want it). I do miss pizza delivery, but there's simply no way I trust anybody in a restaurant right now. Rick keeps saying he wants to do a curb-side pickup for the Texas Roadhouse and I'm against it. What I do do is if we want something from a restaurant, I'll do my best to try to re-create that dish. Rick loves Cracker Barrel breakfasts, so I'll make them as I can; the hash brown casserole, the sauteed apples, etc. We'll have omelets and I'll make my version of Perkins breakfast potatoes. He really misses the hot sausage sandwiches that we get from our farmers' market, so I'll make them for him. Is the same? No. But it's OK. We'll survive.

Other than that, I'm cooking pretty much the same as I always did.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How are you eating these days now that you can't go out as often? More adventurous with your cooking? Or living on canned beans and granola?

Surprisngly well. I have a bunch of prepared meals from my meal subscription stashed in my freezer so I've been taking one out as needed. I did cook yesterday just to have something different and it gave me something to do. Work has been buying us lunch twice a week so I don't need to worry about lunches on those days and sometimes I have enough leftovers to have for dinner. As long as the supermarket is open and somewhat stocked, I'll always be able to get food.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, and no. We rarely ate out, more a matter of "since we're near there let's stop at China Moon and get take-out for lunch." Or eat lunch at Longhorn when shopping near there. Infrequently, a take-out pizza for dinner when I didn't want to cook. So I always made almost all our meals.

What's different - never made pizza before, and discovered it is relatively easy and tastes excellent. The chicken schnitzel mentioned on TCS is a new favorite too, used to make pork schnitzel and Himself likes the chicken version even more.

It's vegetables that have me thinking. I got a 5 pound bag of carrots when prepping. They keep well, we like them but how many carrots can you eat - raw, sauteed, roasted . . . ? The Easter Bunny maybe, or Peter the Rabbit. And it is time of year onions try to sprout so I don't want to buy in any quantity, not even 3-pounds. Find that I'm sort of hording what frozen vegetables I have, green peas, green beans.

I am growing sprouts again, and microgreens: BelleWood-Gardens - Diary
Don't think I would be doing this if not for the virus shutdown.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm really enjoying cooking as I'm not taking classes (they're in my home). I'm always aware of not having cooking smells around, but now I can just let loose. It's really enjoyable!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have cooked some but mostly living off of previously prepared frozen meals. But I am craving fresh produce, lettuce, celery, cucumbers. And apples. I am dying for an Apple. So Tuesday when I shop I am going to pick up mostly fresh stuff, wash the heck out of it and take my chances.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have continued getting fresh produce. I don't eat it until the next day and I wash it as I normally do.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Eating pretty much the same but smaller meals at lunch and dinner, gotta save room for my guilty pleasure afterwards, i.e. a few pieces of a dark chocolate bar w/espresso beans. :yummy:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been cooking more only because I moved and I now actually have counter space to do it and I also ordered some meal delivery boxes. My eating, in general, has been terrible though because I feel all frazzled and have trouble putting together a plan on what I need to do each day, so planned meals are not even on my radar right now. I end up just eating a lot of junk.