Very Large, Short Tailed Long Haired Calico Colored Cat That Talks A Lot

At about 20 pounds she's the biggest cat I've ever had. What is she?

• Just a large Calico

• Who knows

Results are only viewable after voting.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Joining the choir - a very good look alike to a Norwegian Forest cat. Perhaps even the real thing.

She should have a good chance in a Novice exam, if this entrance is still open at your Association.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quantico

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Waiting on dinner is what she is......:lol:
And from that look, you best get it there 15 minutes ago.
Thank you. Actually she was asleep on the kitchen counter and I was about to take a photo when the flash unit snapped open just before the shutter and she just had time to raise her head a little and start to open her eyes.

Quantico

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Quantico Quantico - Her triangular face and rounded ear tips suggest Norwegian Forest Cat ancestry. Her size suggests Norwegian Forest Cat.

As to that smart guy, basscat basscat - my bet is that he's right; I've heard that NFCs like their dinner on time - and all the time.

;)

By the way, welcome to TCS!
You're right, she is always meowing about more food when she's awake and not eating. Thanks

Quantico

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's drop dead gorgeous. :thumbsup: What's her name?
Her name is Bella. She was named Ella at the pound and I didn't want to change it too much. She's a very loving cat who would spend her entire day sniffing me if she could. And that reminds me. You have to let her sniff you if you want to touch her. Even I have to do that every day. Also, she doesn't shed like most cats - she sheds in large bunches of fur. I've been trying to find a pet groomer in Orlando who grooms cats so I can get her relieved of a lot of excess fur that just bunches up. Thanks

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her name is Bella. She was named Ella at the pound and I didn't want to change it too much. She's a very loving cat who would spend her entire day sniffing me if she could. And that reminds me. You have to let her sniff you if you want to touch her. Even I have to do that every day. Also, she doesn't shed like most cats - she sheds in large bunches of fur. I've been trying to find a pet groomer in Orlando who grooms cats so I can get her relieved of a lot of excess fur that just bunches up. Thanks
Quantico Quantico - Unlike Maine Coon Cats whose coats are like corn silk and don't really tangle, Norwegians do have to be combed almost daily to keep them from matting, but maintenance really only takes a couple of minutes a day with a broad-toothed comb. If Bella is as young as she looks - less than six years old - chances are that she's still growing, since NFCs will continue to grow throughout their first five years. There's a cattery in the Yorkshire Dales who recently showed a female NFC who'd topped 25 pounds; big, full-grown males can reach half that again. My little guy topped 35 pounds before he ran out of steam and stabilised. Bob - say, "hello to Bella!"

bobandwhitetip.jpg

Bella's name suits her perfectly - she's positively gorgeous, and since StefanZ StefanZ - who's probably the breed expert on TCS - agrees that she might actually be a Norwegian Forest Cat, and with her propensity to smell everything - all the time (NFCs and Siberians are true subarctic landrace breeds who rely upon scent in cold climates, where scent doesn't "travel" well because of the cold) this probably is her immediate ancestry. I'll keep this reply short, because it's probably time to feed her again.

;)

Quantico

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Quantico Quantico - Unlike Maine Coon Cats whose coats are like corn silk and don't really tangle, Norwegians do have to be combed almost daily to keep them from matting, but maintenance really only takes a couple of minutes a day with a broad-toothed comb. If Bella is as young as she looks - less than six years old - chances are that she's still growing, since NFCs will continue to grow throughout their first five years. There's a cattery in the Yorkshire Dales who recently showed a female NFC who'd topped 25 pounds; big, full-grown males can reach half that again. My little guy topped 35 pounds before he ran out of steam and stabilised. Bob - say, "hello to Bella!"

View attachment 214991

Bella's name suits her perfectly - she's positively gorgeous, and since StefanZ StefanZ - who's probably the breed expert on TCS - agrees that she might actually be a Norwegian Forest Cat, and with her propensity to smell everything - all the time (NFCs and Siberians are true subarctic landrace breeds who rely upon scent in cold climates, where scent doesn't "travel" well because of the cold) this probably is her immediate ancestry. I'll keep this reply short, because it's probably time to feed her again.

;)
What great group of cat owners - well, no one really owns a cat. You co-exist with them. Does the NFC talk a lot? Bella is always talking unless she's asleep or eating. It's just like being married again. I picked her out at the pound because she was big, old and no one wanted her because of those two factors. I had just lost my Maine Coon who passed at 19 years and wanted another big cat who just needed some love and attention. She was 5 when I adopted her and that was 3 years ago next month. She was perfectly happy eating dry cat food at the pound, but the Vet told me that if I wanted to watch her weight to feed her Salmon. Well, there is no dry salmon so I switched over to wet and created a "monster" who will only eat wet cat food. She downs 2 cans of various Friskies (as long as it's "Pate") every day. I bought her the biggest cat litter box I could find, but finally had to leave the top off as she kept raising it up. Oh yes, I should mention that she is not afraid or bothered by anything except the "crinkle" of plastic bags from the market. She was that way when I got her. She won't run away, but she'll retreat to a safe place a few feet away and watch the bag. That must have originated with her original owner (?). Thank you all for your help and information. I'm going to look for a few more photos and post them in the very near future. cz

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is very beautiful. You mentioned she has a short tail. How short? I was just curious because I have a big boy with a rather short tail. Not bobtail or anything, just sort of out of proportion for his body length.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I switched over to wet and created a "monster" who will only eat wet cat food
Ha ha, so did I.
And you say no one wanted her because she was old and big. I can't believe she wasn't snapped up the day she entered the shelter, she's so gorgeous. I had to pay £200 to obtain a big old cat. That was Oliver my Maine Coon and he was ten yrs at the time and 20lbs coincidentally.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your Ella Looks alot like greg and arnold who have also been identified as likely predominantly Norwegian forest cats. They are also in the 20 lb range. We adopted them from a family who were leaving Canada.

Good for you for adopting her. She looks lovely. May you have many many happy years together.

Strangely, like Ella, gregs tail is also disproportionately too short.

Attachments

Quantico

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is very beautiful. You mentioned she has a short tail. How short? I was just curious because I have a big boy with a rather short tail. Not bobtail or anything, just sort of out of proportion for his body length.
You are correct - her tail is shorter than you would think a cat of this size would have. I just measured it as best I could and it is 7 1/2 inches long.