Very Ill 17-year-old

Ravensong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have posted here before about my 11-year-old who has lymphoma. Silk is still around and doing pretty well. It's been 11 months since her diagnosis and I honestly didn't think she'd still be with us.

My other, older cat has always been really healthy until a few months ago. The vet thinks she may have a sinus or brain tumor; she has a lot of congestion and sinus inflammation - the bridge of her nose swells, as does the front part of her forehead. She's been getting prednisolone, which helps, but this past week was pretty bad, so she also was prescribed doxicyline. Ever since, she seems to be having a lot of abdominal discomfort, she is constipated, and was throwing up in addition to not eating very well. We stopped the doxi and she is eating better, but still seems to be in a lot of discomfort when trying to sit. If she's passing stool, it's a very small amount. I'm giving her fluids every other day, which seem to perk her up some.

I know she is not going to get better. Every day I wake up I go look for her, worried she may have passed. Without going into a lot of detail, I don't want to explore euthanasia. Has anyone medicated for pain as their kitty was nearing the end so they could pass on their own?

I am in direct and regular contact with my vet and will be talking to her tomorrow. Just really want to hear what folks here have to offer.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello. I'm so very sorry to hear your baby is in such trouble. If you won't consider euthanasia, I sincerely hope you communicate with your vet, a lot, regarding every single facet of this situation and what exactly it means for your cat.

Direct and regular contact isn't addressing her constipation and lack of appetite?

Many times it's been suggested to ask your vet what they would do if it was their cat. I hope and pray that you don't wait until she's in such pain that meds can't help. She doesn't deserve that.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Bless you. I am so sorry you and your baby are going through this. Yes, do ask your vet what they would do if she was their cat. Most of us are in favor of euthanasia when a cat's life becomes a burden to it. When there is no joy left. Heck, it is what I would, ideally, want for myself, if it was legal. But I do understand your position. Talk very openly and honestly with your vet about IF your cat's pain can be reasonably managed with medications, and how to judge when they are not working.

Dimie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can say from experience that the pain killer way can be a hard one as at some point if it is a pain full illness the killers will not help all to much and the times between the pain killers can be very heart breaking to see.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet thinks she may have a brain tumor?- has he done any kind of CT scan or MRI?

To answer your question, I have had most of my cats pass on their own in the comfort of their own home. Yes, painkillers were prescribed along with a steroid shot. I also gave my cats fluids as directed by my vet. They were also given their own room away from the other cats. Let your vet know how you feel about euthanasia and tell him/her that you would prefer that your kitty pass on her own and ask how you can make her comfortable.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. So sorry about your girl. I understand her age, but just guessing that it is a tumor is a bit of a scary assumption on your vet's part. As asked above, was any kind of a scan done to confirm the presence of one?

A lot of antibiotics can cause stomach upset, vomiting, and even diarrhea - or constipation. Why can't another type of antibiotic be used? Given her age, if there is food that she loves - even human foods - she could eat those to help offset stomach distress from an antibiotic. And, why can't the constipation be treated - perhaps, something as simple as 1/8 tsp of Miralax for a few days?

What are the fluids for - to counteract dehydration from vomiting and possibly help with the constipation? You said she is eating now again. Not factoring in the 'sitting' discomfort, how is she doing overall otherwise? Is she uncomfortable when sitting because of the constipation, or something else - like arthritis? And, when you say the bridge of her nose swells as well as her forehead, does the swelling go down, or is the swelling increasing in size? I realize the prednisolone could help to temporarily shrink a tumor, but if the swelling comes and goes, it would seem to me to be more related to inflamed sinuses.

I guess from what you have described, I must be missing some pieces of the puzzle in trying to understand why you are so positive she is close the end. I don't mean to come across as 'drilling' you with questions, so I hope you don't take it that way. Just trying to make sense of what all might be going on with her. Even if she is nearing the end, there isn't any reason not to treat things like the constipation just so she can feel better, is there? Or, even another antibiotic, should that help with any inflammation that may be in her sinuses, regardless of the presence of a tumor - again, just to make her more comfortable.

Last edited: