Very high strung cat freaking out

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, I'll try and make this short! ha.
My parents have two cats who are a little over a year old now, siblings, male and female. Spayed/neutered around 6/7 months old. The male is VERY high strung- super territorial, active, and I swear he has the cat version of ADHD (seriously). He's very sweet, too, but nuts. lol.
My kids and I have been around these kittens since they were brought home, they know us well. Even stayed at my house a week when my mom had surgery at some point. We've always had a great relationship with them, even though they are crazy active and not the biggest snugglers.
Anyway... so we are visiting my parents extra house (was my grandparents house), which the cats have been here with them for a month, just fine.
But when we showed up, the male cat got crazy. He KNOWS us, and he rubs against us with his happy tail, but then immediately HISSES and growls and darn near attacks us. He goes into the room we are staying in and just starts attacking the pillows, clothing, etc, anything that smells like our house.
So I *know* he's smelling my cats on our stuff (we now have 6), and he's extremely territorial, so he is *convinced* there are other cats here and he cannot handle it. He is just out of his mind, attacking everything, growling, hissing, even at his sister (who couldn't care less, she's happy we are here).
It's so bad it's to the point I'm afraid he's going to hurt one of my kids, so we have the cats just in a room by themselves, which I hate. He just cannot handle the smell of our cats on us.
We have a Feliway plug in for him, but it doesn't seem to help. He is just going crazy at the smell of us. I know it's not healthy for him to be so anxious all the time and my mom is really worried. As I said before, he is a *very* high strung cat anyway, but this is crazy. He knows us, he loves us, but he cannot wrap his head around it all. Soooooo territorial.
We are not cat novices, but I'm reaching out for any extra helpful ideas, just in case. We still have like 8 more days here, and I don't want him living with such high aggression like this. Not good for him, not good for my mom either!!
ANY suggestions?! I feel SO bad for him (and mom!).

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
How about running all of your clothes through your mom’s washer and dryer? If you leave your shoes outside, shower and put on the freshly washed clothes there shouldn’t be much that smells like your cats. If that doesn’t work, then confining them for the time you are there may be necessary. They will not Be happy but 8 days isn’t that long.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's worth a try, I just did a load. Shoes were already outside (although he hates my house slippers lol). We have been keeping him out of our two rooms, which does help, but he still is just a mess.
Thanks for your input!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just an update:
We plugged Feliway into two more rooms (our rooms), kept him out of those rooms for about 3-4 days, and then let him back in. He wound up being fine. He still growled at my husband occasionally, and was a little on edge when he buried himself into our suitcases (silly cat), but by the end of the trip he was able to roam freely and mostly smoothly.
Halfway through the trip he realized he knew me and kept giving me nose to nose bumps/rubs (which I loooove).
I guess he just needed some time.
Thanks all!