Very Frantic Feeder! I've Tried Everything...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PeeWee111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Funny how these things work themselves out. She's asleep now under my desk, at my feet. Who'da thunkit? :zzzcat:

PeeWee111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Howdy, fellow cat lovers... Been away from the site for quite a while with elder care duties, and finally got a moment to break away! Hope all of you are well, and had a wonderful holiday season!

Little Tinky continues to grow and flourish, and is now 17 weeks old. She's taken over the house and is quite the Red Tabby Terror.

Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 10.09.33 AM.png

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Howdy, fellow cat lovers... Been away from the site for quite a while with elder care duties, and finally got a moment to break away! Hope all of you are well, and had a wonderful holiday season!

Little Tinky continues to grow and flourish, and is now 17 weeks old. She's taken over the house and is quite the Red Tabby Terror.

View attachment 316996
She's adorable! That is very good news.

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

View attachment 316996
She's beautiful!!!! <3

jonikat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

View attachment 316996
Adorable! How did the hernia surgery go? I have five 5 week old kittens and 2 of them have soft mushy lumps on their bellies...going to the vet on Thursday. May I ask, was it expensive to have the hernia fixed when she was spayed? Thanks!!

PeeWee111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Adorable! How did the hernia surgery go? I have five 5 week old kittens and 2 of them have soft mushy lumps on their bellies...going to the vet on Thursday. May I ask, was it expensive to have the hernia fixed when she was spayed? Thanks!!
Hi, Jonikat - I just saw your question now. Kiki (formerly known as Tinky) made it through her spay and hernia surgery just fine, and is now almost 18 months old, fat and sassy! The hernia was a simple repair, and the vet only charged me $30 in addition to the spay.

jonikat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, Jonikat - I just saw your question now. Kiki (formerly known as Tinky) made it through her spay and hernia surgery just fine, and is now almost 18 months old, fat and sassy! The hernia was a simple repair, and the vet only charged me $30 in addition to the spay.
Hi PeeWee111 PeeWee111 - thanks for the reply! So glad to hear that all ended up well with your little! I'm amazed it was only $30 extra...I don't think any vet here in Chicago would be so affordable. But one can hope!! I think my kittens' have abdominal hernias which are different than umbilical hernias...hopefully they're not more challenging to repair. We'll see!

PeeWee111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Chicago! I was born in Waukegan and lived in Lake County for 32 years before moving to NC! 😊

Inguinal hernias are generally closer to the groin area, so the location might determine the degree of surgical complexity. Crossing my fingers that they're just umbilical after all. If the bumps are reducible (i.e., can be pushed back into the abdomen), so much the better. Did your vet offer any opinion?

jonikat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh wow! What a small world. :) The vet that I saw (who I won't be going back to as they don't do this surgery) said it wasn't inguinal or umbilical...he called it abdominal. If the kittens' are on their back, the mushy lump flattens out, but it's not like it can be pushed in in any way where it stays in place. I'm on hold with a vet right now & they're saying for an abdominal hernia fix, it'll likely be 200-300 extra....100-200 for umbilical fix. 😟 I'm just kind of hoping that maybe the vet was wrong since he doesn't do that kind of surgery & clearly isn't that knowledgeable about kitten hernias. These kittens are ending up soooo expensive!! Thank goodness they're so dang cute. lol!

Last edited:

jonikat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've called around and it seems like either I pay more for a spay (up to $500!) and $85-ish for a hernia repair, or I pay less for a spay ($125) and more for the hernia fix...this is the more affordable option it seems. I'll probably call a couple of other vets. I'm so bummed, my vet of 15 years passed away last month and the office shut down so I'm trying to find someone who I can trust & won't break my bank. Chicago is very expensive for vet care.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I meant get a second vet to confirm that the hernia is indeed abdominal. Most vets repair hernias during the spay, but I’m not sure how it varies with the different kinds of hernias. I would imagine an inguinal is an easier repair than an abdominal.